Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Conversion Guidelines

And there are some rough guidelines for a FASA-CODA conversion at: http://forum.lotrrpg.net/showthread....&threadid=4116

Question Re: Conversion Guidelines

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    As promised, here are the conversion guidelines that I developed and have been using for awhile. They have been provided to Decipher as well, if they elect to use them.

Permission granted to distribute freely.

Tweak as necessary. Call me an idiot as necessary.
    BTW it seems that the pdf file was meant to be preprocessed through another processing meta language, maybe LaTeX , because of the tags that are still in.

Is it possible to get the original (non-PDF) version of the file so one of us can process it and regenerate a fully implemented, understand with tables, titles and sidebars PDF ?

Thanks
    ------
    "Hey ! I didn't do THAT !"

A simple question that has been bothering me for a while : why is the formula different for the conversion of the PSI attribute (CODA=LUG +3 instead of the usual LUG*2+2) ? Was it to prevent players to have too high a PSI attribute (with this conversion rule, even a LUG Psi 4 has no Psi modifier in CODA), or other, more complex, balance reasons ?
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

C5, I was wondering the exact same thing!
    Kronok

I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly because we are Jem’Hadar. Remember, victory is life.

"The D20 System is the heart of the classic fantasy roleplaying experience, the game that has taught us all how to be munchkins. There is no way we could do it with any other system."

Originally posted by C5
    A simple question that has been bothering me for a while : why is the formula different for the conversion of the PSI attribute (CODA=LUG +3 instead of the usual LUG*2+2) ? Was it to prevent players to have too high a PSI attribute (with this conversion rule, even a LUG Psi 4 has no Psi modifier in CODA), or other, more complex, balance reasons ?
    The different formula was used simply because Psi starts at 4 and can only be increased through Advancements.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Originally posted by Doug Burke

The different formula was used simply because Psi starts at 4 and can only be increased through Advancements.
    Ah, OK. Thanks for the answer, Doug.
    I was just concerned by the fact that a player who choosed to increase his LUG psi attribute may lose in the conversion compared to a player who increased another attribute.

Another unrelated question : how would one convert the Behaviour Modification (Resistance) speciality ?
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Originally posted by C5
    Another unrelated question : how would one convert the Behaviour Modification (Resistance) speciality ?
    I would say figure the level as normal and treat it like Dodge. But instead of adding to Quickness, it addes to either Savvy or Willpower (or a combination of the two).

For example, Joe Spy has Behavior Modification (Resistance) 2 (3). His skill level would be 3 in Coda terms (2+1 for the specialization). He could either add 3 to his Savvy, 3 to his Willpower, 1 to Savvy AND 2 to Willpower, or 2 to Savvy AND 1 to Willpower.

At least, that's how I'd do it.

since I have never heard of this I am going by name only.. behavior modification(resistance) - as in someone modified your behavior so that you are more resistant or you can modify your behavior to resist changes.. both sounds like you have been exposed to drugs to change your personality. if that is what is is, then you would not have any bonuses, since a will roll would be at a bonus for one type of reaction and a normal roll to another, like a speciality. if it is a permanent change to your behavior that is designed to block certian responses, you would get a penalty if someone knew and played on it... I would not use that particular perk/flaw.. I would go over it with a fine tooth comb to see if it actually should be used..
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

Thanks for the input, Doug.
    I'm probably gonna rule that, since Willpower is the reaction used to resist to Indoctrinate, the whole skill points will be added to Willpower only (like Dodge to Quickness).

Silverthorne : In fact, while Behaviour Modification was a skill in LUG that allowed to alter the behaviour of a character (through brainwashing for instance), one of its specialities, Behaviour Modification (Resistance) (the only one allowed for StarFleet characters), allowed actually to resist against the use of this skill (a bit like the Mind Shield skill for psions).
    And I can't ignore it... one of my players took the damn speciality and I intent to convert from ICON to CODA, so...
    Terry Pratchett

I know about difficult skills to convert.. I have had to do it in other games. Since the skill is strickly designed to protect against behavior modification, I would make it a will bonus only. and not much at that, since it was only aimed at one particular resistance. or an edge like resist brainwashing. which gives a +3 will to resist only brain tampering. or given him a knowledge skill that does the same, possible knowledge resist brainwashing.
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

Re: Re: Conversion Guidelines

Originally posted by Jon Garth
    Is it possible to get the original (non-PDF) version of the file so one of us can process it and regenerate a fully implemented, understand with tables, titles and sidebars PDF ?
    I'd be more then happy to do it, if Don doesn't have the time to do a layout for the conversion document. All I would need is the original text, if possible as an rtf file and a few days time (the later should be no problem).

Skill Conversion

Now that I finaly ordered my Players Guide I paid a little closer attention to the conversion guidelines and came up with this question regarding skill conversion: (If this is clarified by the Coda rules for specializations I'll be happy to wait until the book arives, just point me in the right direction.)

To determine the actual level of the Coda skill, take the Icon base skill and add one for every Icon specialization possessed.
    Now how does that work when skills and specializations in Icon have the same level?

Example: I get Shipboard Systems (Sensors) 1(2) from my Overlay during character creation and the raise it to 2(2) during my 1st Tour of Duty. Does that Specialization still count for a +1 to the Coda skill, ie. I end up with a Coda skill of 3, or do I get a skill of 2 from the conversion?

Compare this to the same character who didn't raise the Icon skill to 2, but bought a new specialization for an Icon skill of 1(2)(2).
    Converted to Coda he ends up with a skill of 3 and a specialization, while according to (my) logic he shouldn't be better of then the character from the example above who gets a skill of 2 or maybe 3 (w/o a specialization), as under the old Icon rules he wouldn't perform as well as someone with 2(2) - and in many situations would fare worse, because of his lower base skill.

(And yes, of course I am aware that no conversion between game systems is perfect. This post isn't a major complaint or somesuch, just a little question arising from my insatiable curiosity )
    Last edited by Lancer; 05-16-2002 at 05:24 AM.

FASA->LUG->CODA Conversion

Originally posted by tonyg
    And there are some rough guidelines for a FASA-CODA conversion at: http://forum.lotrrpg.net/showthread....&threadid=4116
    Thanks. I took a look at the conversion sheet in this thread. It's a great starting point. I feel strongly that FASA was a good system and continues to be. However, I created some useful NPCs that I'd like to convert, as well as some ships, but one thing at a time.

Can't wait until the Narrator's Guide comes out, then the screen.

M_F

FASA/LUG/CODA Converter

I have thrown together (in Excel) a FASA to CODA/LUG to CODA converter. I pieced it together using the official LUG to CODA rules provided by Don Mappin. The FASA converter was born out of one of the many threads here and a little bit o'math. For the moment, I don't have a homepage or anything to link it to. I can however email it out to those who'd like to give it a try.

-Darth Sarcastic
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

I'd love to see it. Private Message me for an email address.