Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Conversion Guidelines

Conversion Guidelines

As promised, here are the conversion guidelines that I developed and have been using for awhile. They have been provided to Decipher as well, if they elect to use them.

Permission granted to distribute freely.

Tweak as necessary. Call me an idiot as necessary.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Thank you Don. I'm guessing we could use these as guidelines for converting over the racial templates (for those races we don't have in CODA yet) from ICON as well.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Questions now that the conversion guide is in my hands. Are the species in the data bank and the stats on the D's crew in LUG?

Kyle

Originally posted by Tilarium
    Questions now that the conversion guide is in my hands. Are the species in the data bank and the stats on the D's crew in LUG?
    I'm afraid I don't quite understand the question...
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Here at Trek RPG, using both the Personnel Records and Species Data Banks. Personnel Records lists the crew of the enterprise D and the data bank lists Bajoran through Zalkonian.

Kyle

Hiya Don,

Thanks! All I need now is a copy of the book...

Cheers,

Bonzai Gopher
    Jinkies. Jinkies? Isn't that some kind of breakfast cereal? - Johnny Bravo

Man, is that a thorough conversion guideline!!! I can't wait to try converting my player's characters stats!

Thanksalot, Don

Just one thing : I view the document with no layout (there are some "Begin/End sidebar" or "Begin/End table" tags in the text). Is this my copy of Acrobat (it's the 5.0 version though) ?
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Originally posted by Tilarium
    Here at Trek RPG, using both the Personnel Records and Species Data Banks. Personnel Records lists the crew of the enterprise D and the data bank lists Bajoran through Zalkonian.

Kyle
    Yes Kyle. the NPC's and Species presented on the main Trek-rpg site arein LUG's ICON system which Don has just given us the conversion from...

However they are not the official stats, as they are the work of the fans...

Hope that helps...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Cool

Verrrry interesting.

I had already recreated my character in Coda so I went back and did the conversion.

When I recreated the character I used the ICON sheet as a guideline for determining how many Advancements to use and so forth. When I had finished the conversion, I was surprised at how close the two characters were.

The major differences were in Species Skills (not high enough) and Attributes (strangely different distribution). Also, I've lost a number of Skill Specialties because the conversion rules don't let you keep single specializations (I think).

BTW, is there any particular reason that 'Sexy' became 'Likeable'? I'm sorry, but 7 of 9 is a bit more than 'Likeable'. I hope that this isn't an attempt to dumb the game down to a more PC level, because Sexy is definitely a part of Star Trek whether you're talking about Yeoman Rand, Lt. Uhura, Tasha Yar, Kira Neris, Seven of Nine, or T'Pol (or Kirk, Picard, Archer, or Riker, for that matter)! What gives?
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

Don,

One suggestion: Instead of dropping ICON's Excellent Hearing trait, why not convert it to CODA's Skill Focus (Keen Hearing)?

Originally posted by Cmdr Powers
    BTW, is there any particular reason that 'Sexy' became 'Likeable'? I'm sorry, but 7 of 9 is a bit more than 'Likeable'. I hope that this isn't an attempt to dumb the game down to a more PC level, because Sexy is definitely a part of Star Trek whether you're talking about Yeoman Rand, Lt. Uhura, Tasha Yar, Kira Neris, Seven of Nine, or T'Pol (or Kirk, Picard, Archer, or Riker, for that matter)! What gives?
    Another possibility for Sexy is Skill Focus (Seductive).
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Originally posted by tonyg
    Don,

One suggestion: Instead of dropping ICON's Excellent Hearing trait, why not convert it to CODA's Skill Focus (Keen Hearing)?
    Indeed. Inquiring Andorian fans want to know.

BJ
    "Every subject's duty is the king's, but every subject's soul is his own." -- Shakespeare, Henry V

Originally posted by Cmdr Powers
    Have you read the description for Likeable? The name aside, the game effect is very similiar to that of...Sexy. Good grief.

Change it if you disagree. I honestly don't care.

Keen Hearing should be Skill Focus: Keen Hearing. That one slipped through (that's also the way it appears in the NG for Andorians).
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Thumbs up Expanded Psionic Skills

Very Nicely Done on the Conversions. I will distribute it to my players immediately.

In the Coda System, are the Expanded Psionic Skills in disfavor? For instance, one of my characters Picked up Telekinesis from the old LUG Player's Guide. How would we convert this? Is this something that will be further explored in the Coda NG? If this is not to be used, how would we portray skills of NPCs such as Pah-Wraiths, Prophets, and Q?
    Last edited by METH; 05-23-2002 at 01:38 PM.

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    Keen Hearing should be Skill Focus: Keen Hearing. That one slipped through (that's also the way it appears in the NG for Andorians).

Funny thing is- I was trying to write up a species template for Andorians and that is what got me thinking about Skill Focus (Keen Hearing).

Guess you could call that a circular reference!