Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We got some Aliens here,Boy!

Thumbs up We got some Aliens here,Boy!

Picked up my copy of Aliens today.Sweeeeet book.It looked kind of thin at the LGS.When Igot it home I was definetely impressed. Lots of content,love the era-by -era descriptions of some of the races.Didn't expect the blank Species record sheet in the back(one black background,one white),nice added touch.

This will probably be the book I will use most as a narrator.Starships wins in the coolness factor catagory but I'll use Aliens for every episode I design.There's a lot of info stuffed in there.Good guidelines for roleplaying the Q(with mention of the Organians!) nice explanation for the Breen.Ekosians even!Anyone playing a Trill character definetly scored,the advanced symbiot rules pile on the skill picks.And a lot more page space devoted to text than in SS.

Thanks for another great supplement ,Decipher!
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

For $35 it was too small, and they left out a few races (Denobulans for one). I didn't see what (if any) improvements were made to entries we've already seen (Human, Vulcan, Andorian...etc) so I don't understand why they were even listed. I was under the impression that this book would include aliens that hadn't been covered anywhere else. This is just my opinion...not worth $35.
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

Well ,Darth it looks like $35 is going to be the going price for the average-size ST sourcebook.Haven't raed the whole thing but the vulcans got Kolinar,the Trill Symbiots are a whole lot better,and the expanded descriptions for the bigger species make the price tag worth it to me.The forthcoming Enterprise sourcebook in Limited Edition should have Denobulans,shouldn't it?

Question

I have heard of source books for each star trek, but what do you mean limited edition? I thought they were going to make specific trek series books after the ones they listed in the coming soon section(mirror universe, etc). Have you heard anything?
    live long and prosper

Originally posted by Lowly Uhlan
    Well ,Darth it looks like $35 is going to be the going price for the average-size ST sourcebook.Haven't raed the whole thing but the vulcans got Kolinar,the Trill Symbiots are a whole lot better,and the expanded descriptions for the bigger species make the price tag worth it to me.The forthcoming Enterprise sourcebook in Limited Edition should have Denobulans,shouldn't it?
    Ahhh, 4 pages for the major alien governments? Worth $47.95 CDN+15%= $55.15. If I am going to shell out that much there had better be way more info given on the established races then one or two new points.

Personally I think doing things this way is an injustice to the game. At least every major race should have its own book. And not have the limit placed on it a "collection" book has.

And if having HC, full colour pics is going to drive the price up that much for the page count of most Trek books, then give me SC B&W pics.
    Last edited by Phantom; 05-30-2003 at 02:05 PM.

Way back when in the dawn of this version of the RPG, they put out the PG and the NG with plans for a Limited Edition run of a three book set in some form of a case.

The PG and NG would be the same ones from the first printing but as an added bonus there would be a supplemental sourcebook on Enterprise included only in the LE. This booklet was written by Don Mappin and there was a huge discussion on the whole thing way back on these forums about that supplement only being available if you picked up the LE.

Regards,
    CKV.

Phantom:when I commented on the price of the books I allmost included the statement"but I'm sure glad I don't have to buy this stuff in Canada",In reference to you guys paying an arm and a leg up there.Yeah that does suck.But so does only being able to see edited versions of "Lexx"here in the US

Yeah, its's such a joy living in the highest taxed country in the world.

So, what does this Kolinar ability do? We have actually yet to see the Alien book hit the streets up here. Anything new for the Romulans or Andorians?

Kolinahr edge in a nutshell:has Intellect and trait prerequisites, Vulcans only,may not have Devotion flaw.Effects:+2 bonus to any test involving logic, reason, or memory,plus the same bonus on a few other skills,as well as renown tests on other Vulcans.

Andorians:Extensive background stuff,a new melee weapon,the antennae work a little differently,and a weapon master NPC.

Got mine on route, but running a game tomorrow. Anyone wanna do my a favor and give me a quick & dirty on the Benzites: what's the homeworld like and why the chest humidifier. Don't need race specifics or anything, just enough to stay consistent once I've got the book.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Andorians:Extensive background stuff,a new melee weapon,the antennae work a little differently,and a weapon master NPC.
    Very different from "Among the Clans?"

Never read "Among the clans".

the Benzites require "special atmospherisic supplement when in common M-class atmospheres". Benzar has much less oxygen and a higher level of gaseous ammonia than a typical class-M environment.

the Benzites require "special atmospherisic supplement when in common M-class atmospheres". Benzar has much less oxygen and a higher level of gaseous ammonia than a typical class-M environment.
    Wasn't that disadvantage negated by the end of the series?

Also, were the Flaxians included in the Aliens book?

I'm not going to buy the LE just for the Enterprise sourcebook...besides which the LE is currently a myth. All I'm saying is that I would've put down the $35 if they included a method of generating/creating your own aliens. Roddenberry joked that Worf's type of Klingons were the "Southern Klingons"...well what if I want to make the "Northern Klingons" (aka TOS/ridge-less Klingons) that Worf was reluctant to speak of...seems I can't. What about the Edoans (Animated Trek)? Can't make those either. There were similar complaints (from others...not me) about "Starships" and what vessels had been left out...but at least they (Decipher) included a way to build those ships.
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

Originally posted by Darth Sarcastic
    All I'm saying is that I would've put down the $35 if they included a method of generating/creating your own aliens.
    They already have done this in the Narrator Guide. Those guidelines for alien species creation apply as much now as they did when the NG came out.

I would be disappointed if a species or two were excluded just so that they could reprint something found in another book.