Thread: New renown aspect: Integrity

New renown aspect: Integrity

INTEGRITY is a new aspect I created for IconTrek renown after I realized that there is no renown aspect that measures honesty and trustworthiness.

Integrity measures your character's general honesty, sense of fair play, and morality in general. If your character consistently lies, cheats, steals, backstabs, and is generally immoral (at least according to most standards) then he probably has a large amount of negative Integrity renown. Positive integrity is earned if you tell the truth, obey the law, and do what's right even if it might not be in your best interests or cause harm to you and those close to you.
    Also, certain Dark Secrets if revealed may cause you to earn a large amount of negative Integrity renown. For instance, if everyone finds out you commited adultery or cheated on a test at the academy, aside from other consequences of those actions Negative integrity is also earned.

BTW, here are the default cultural values on what different cultures/groups value Integrity:

Starfleet: High
    Vulcan: High
    Ferengi: Low
    Romulan: Medium
    Klingon: Medium
    Bajoran: Medium
    Betazoid: High
    Cardassian: Low

What do you all think? Ideas, suggestions, anyone?
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

This is open to a wide supposition. What one governements view of Integrity will vary. I agree that most, if not all, Starfleet Officers would have a high degree of integrity, but you would have to look at what other cultures consider.

You rate the Ferengi as low on the scale, but that is looking at it from the human perspective. Lying and cheating are part of their culture, as long as you make a profit. Following this Quark would have a high level of integrity in Ferengi society.

Klingons would also have a high level of integrity...They follow the warrior's code. Just as the Knights did in the past in Europe and the Samurai in Japan.

To the Romulans protecting the state is all that is important. If a Commander attacks and destroys, by use of stealth, a base that threatens the Empire he would be considered the paragon of Romulan virtue and valour.

The Cardassians, very similar to the Romulans.

Integrity has a lot to do with your point of view. I like the idea that you have put across with the new aspect, but I would lose the chart.

I like it.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)
    I agree with Phantom.

I like the idea of having an Integrity trait, but I'd skip a comparative chart.

What I'd be inclined to do with it is award points in Integrity, as you do for the other Renown traits, but have any checks against Integrity subject to racial/cultural modifiers. A Cardassian officer is less likely to believe a Starfleet officer's level of Integrity than a Vulcan is, for example.

And the Borg plain don't care how much Integrity you have.
    The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlamp of an oncoming train. - Murphy's Law variant

No good deed ever goes unpunished...

Like others... I like the concept of an Integrity renown...

I also agree that the comparason chart is... Difficult... However, It is not always based on species outlook... Using the given examples;

You rate the Ferengi as low on the scale, but that is looking at it from the human perspective. Lying and cheating are part of their culture, as long as you make a profit. Following this Quark would have a high level of integrity in Ferengi society.

Klingons would also have a high level of integrity...They follow the warrior's code. Just as the Knights did in the past in Europe and the Samurai in Japan.

To the Romulans protecting the state is all that is important. If a Commander attacks and destroys, by use of stealth, a base that threatens the Empire he would be considered the paragon of Romulan virtue and valour.

The Cardassians, very similar to the Romulans.
    I totally agree that the Klingons would seriously rate Integrity as part of their Klingon Honour... Just as Starfleet (and the Federation) would rate Integrity...

The Ferengi. Here I disagree, we often saw Quark, Zek and Brunt breaking a moral code in search of profit... And they often commented upon it. Under the on-screen evidence it would seem that the Ferengi undersatand the concept of Integrity, it just isn't worth anything to them... Basically that it holds no value (no pun intended) amongst Ferengi culture.

The Cardassians and Romulans are another matter. And this is where the line gets blurred... Both species rate service and patriotism highly, and while personal integrity is a commodity to be used within their societies (especially among the politicians)... Both also have a long tradition of loss of integrity/personnal dishonour for the benefit of the state. And that those in power have an opportunity to conceal their dishonour to give an appearance of a high integrity...
    I guess Romulan and Cardassian spin doctors get to work over-time.

And the Borg plain don't care how much Integrity you have.
    Too true... too true...

I guess the use of this renown aspect, along with Owens 'Luck' renown will depend on whether we switch to Coda...
    Last edited by Dan Gurden; 05-01-2002 at 05:31 AM.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)