Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Son of Don's Spiffy Character Sheet

Any progress over that last month (while this thread was silent)??

Unhappy

Would be nice if either Don or a chosen successor could finish this thing. At least we have a great collection of alternative sheets... just need one which has room for more than the bare minimum of skills.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Unhappy

Anybody thinks like me that Don has been borgified or something terrible like that? He's been really quiet for an awfully long time ...
    Every procedure for getting a cat to take a pill works fine -- once.
    Like the Borg, they learn...
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Relax, guys. Don's fine. He's just been inordinately busy for the past few weeks.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

This sheet is not dead (yet). I now have more time and will be returning my attention to it. I think it has the promise of being the best sheet of them all. At the very least I like it and want to finish it for the Trek games that I run/play in.

So, nothing new to show you right now, but there will be some nifty new features to come!
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Lightbulb

I don't think I mentioned this before, but Don, have you thought about making a modulary sheet?

The thought came to me while reviewing this thread (and others on character sheets): It looks like every single poster has a different opinion on how a character sheet should be organized . Some want a form version, some a blank one. Some want a large skills section, even if it means having it at the back of the sheet. Some want it with the other important infos, at the front. Some don't care if it's more than 2 pages. Some do. And so on, ad lib.

Mind you, I have no idea how this could work, or even if Acrobat allows to do this kind of things, but, it looks like the only way to content everyone (since perfection is said not to be within human reach) would be to have a kind of preliminary page, where you would answer some questions like:
    <I>
    First field (1-x):
    </I>(with 1 being the personal Data section, 2 the Characteristics section, etc.)<I>
    Second Field:
    Size of the skills section (s/l):
    Form (y/n):
    </I>
    The actual sheet would be created according to these answers (and if it doesn't fit well, too bad, the user will have to try another layout option then).

Again, I have absolutely no idea how practical this would be ... it was just some random idea that went through my brain lately . As a matter of fact, it's probably easier to do that with the old scissors + photocopy machine. A bit messier to .
    Every procedure for getting a cat to take a pill works fine -- once.
    Like the Borg, they learn...
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Yours really is the best, Don... while I like most of the others as well, there are always one or two things wrong with them. Fonts are poorly sized for the fields, for example. I was very pleased that I could fit all my group skills and specialties on a single line and still read it!

Keep up the good work.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

I like yours best for the self-calculating part of the sheet. We've been using the two sheet that's mostly in blue-purple (sorry, can't remeber who did it).

Just remember to leave a healthy space for character notes.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Lancer's sheet is the best where notes and details are concerned. I like having room for those useful tidbits (such as summaries of edges, flaws, and/or professional abilities) so I no longer have to page through the rulebook everytime I need to know some small detail. It is also nice to have space to pen the character's history as that can be important to us Method Actor and Storyteller types.

Two major recommendations: less white space in and around the LCARS graphics, and slightly larger font size for the character fluff section at the top.

I await the next version with baited breath...

Started a new thread with the latest (v3) version.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride