Thread: Centauran species

Centauran species

Well, this is hardly a complete race writeup, but here is what I came up with for Centaurans.

Language: Centauran, Federation Standard

Favored Profession: Scientist

Species Adjustments: None

Special Abilities:
    Artistic: Centaurans are generally artistic, and even average citizens practice some form of artistic expression as a hobby. Centaurans gain a +1 species bonus on Craft skill tests.

Competitor Streak: Centaurans are fiercely competitive, this being the major factor in the horrible wars of their civilization's past, the earliest of which were stopped by creating an athletic competition. Once a day, a Centauran can reroll an opposed test and keep the best of the two results.

Bonus Edge: Likable: Centaurans automatically possess the Likable edge (see page 135, player's guide).

Peaceful: Centaurans prefer to settle differences through peaceful means. Centaurans gain a +4 species bonus to Negotiate (Mediate) tests.

Obviously this isn't a complete set of information, notable centaurans is kind of an oxymoron phrase since they look 99.999% the same as humans. If anybody knows of any, go ahead and post the names since I'm working on a more fleshed out writeup.

Lockhart

Not bad.

I suggest give them Skill Focus (Seductive) over Likeable, as the old Sexy advantage isn't quite the same as likable. You can like someone without being attracted to them.

It would also be nice to reflect thier strong spirtual side (according to LUG and DEC Trek), possibly by modifying some of the Bajoran stuff to fit Centaurans.

Sorry this reply is so late.

As for Skill Focus (Seductive) versus Likable, I figured that the attraction was passive, rather than the Centauran going out of their way to seduce someone. So I chose a passive edge. Likable helps in all situations, so they are more sexy as well.

I also didn't want to give them too many advantages, so any spiritual notes will have to wait for the full writeup. They don't seem to have a quantifyable spiritual character (again because it's almost impossible to tell when you're watching one on screen, although Martha Landon in the Apple probably is Centauran) so I'm going to avoid inventing one.

Lockhart

Looks excellent. I agree about them having Likeable rather than the Skill Focus (Seductive); some people can't help it if they happen to look sexy, but that doesn't mean they go out of their way to flaunt it in everybody's face. Take Subcommander T'Pol for a good example
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

Nut Likable works against everybody. Regardless of gender and/or sexual preference. Same with friendly.

I like likable, it's more 'just the way they are' than seduction, which imply's effort on their part. Though it admitedly doens't allow for the sexy/jerk combo. While they look nice, they don't act nice, or at least people don't like them.

Maybe we should just write up a sexy edge. For instance:

Sexy
    You have been blessed with a charming personality and good looks.

--------------(VERSION 2)

EFFECTS: You gain a +2 bonus when making Presence based skill tests on members of the opposite gender--even those belonging to other species.

--------------(VERSION 3)

EFFECTS: When making Presence based skill tests on members of the opposite gender--even those belonging to other species, you roll an extra die (3d6), but keep the highest two dice. THe rule for rolling double 6's still applies.

--------------(VERSION 4)
    EFFECT: When making Presence based skill tests on members of the opposite gender---even those belonging to other species, you may add twice tyour Presence modifer.

--------------(VERSION 5)
    EFFECT: In social testswith members of the opposite gender---even those belonging to other species, adjust any modfiers resulting from interaction stance by +5.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)

Balancing Out Centaurans w/ the NG

Editor's Note: Okay, I goofed...I don't know how I got 19 points out of 15, but I did. The post is adjusted to account for the corrected math.

Okay, I'm going with the Centaurans as they were presented, with the Artistic, Competitive, Likeable and Peaceful abilities.

Artistic is worth 2 picks. Comptetitive is also worth 2. Likeable is worth 2. Peaceful is worth 9 picks (2 points per level in Negotiate and 1 point for the specialty). This gives a total of 15 points.

An alternative to Likeable in the NG could be the creative use of the Lure species/creature ability, found on p. 217. Providing a +2 Influence using a pheromone lure on members of the opposite sex would cost 5 points. If you choose to use this ability, I'd recommend reducing the Peaceful advantage to a +3 Negotiate (Mediate). This would make Centaurans a 16 pick species.
    Last edited by Sea Tyger; 06-06-2002 at 11:56 AM.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz