Thread: icon 2 coda species question

icon 2 coda species question

I'm looking for an answer from Don, Doug or Ross about this. It seems to me that none of the species in the PG actually have negative special abilities, nor flaws. Some of the abilities aren't totally positive, but usually they are more good than bad with a negative role-playing aspect but a positive game mechanic aspect (see Peaceful or Ferocity). Is this just the luck of the draw with these races, or is this actually how species are going to show up from now on?

This is important to me since I'm likely going to convert some races for my own use as things go on, and some races like Gorn have definite disadvantages. Others like Binar have 'advantages' which may or may not be all that advantageous.

Lockhart

I'm not sure I would consider the Klingon ability which could cause the deaths of compainions necessarily a positive thing. I also wouldn't consider it negative. The same is true of several traits. Would you consider Bloodlust an advantage or a flaw? I suppose it depends on which side of the bat'leth you are standing.
    Our knowledge can only be finite, while our ignorance must necessarily be infinite
    -Karl Popper

Well, while not completely positive, it is also not completely negative. You do get some benefit from Ferocity. I'm talking about game benefits, with little to no game penalty, versus the old templates that might have both benefits and penalties, but no trait had both.

Lockhart

I get the impression that CodaTrek is intentionally steering away from forcing players to take flaws or packaged disadvantages for their characters. Some species abiliities are double-edged swords (like Ferocity), but few or none are unrewarded negatives built in for the sake of "play balance" or in fulfillment of a stereotype of the species. I also haven't felt it necessary to buy Flaws for any character I've created yet solely for the sake of being able to buy an Edge...Flaws seem much more voluntary, if-the-character-warrants-it things than in IconTrek.

I expect, then, that forced species disadvantages are going to be uncommon in future expansions as well. Certainly, the gamer species writeups posted here so far seem to follow that philosophy.

(Of course, NDAs notwithstanding, if anybody with a hand in the design wants to comment on that impression, feel free.)
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra