Thread: The Great Lie

The Great Lie

What if the story of how Surak came to realize that to save the Vulcan race was not what really happened? I have thought of an adventure idea that involves the crew being called to an archelogical site on a planet not far from Vulcan. The science team seems to have discovered what amounts to evidence that the population of the planet was wiped out by vulcans. I had thought about having the truth of Suraks life being that he was a General in the Vulcan army. An army not all that different from the present day Romulans, but that Surak realized where his people were heading after wiping out the population of an entire planet because they refused to surrender. Standing over the corpses of so many dead made him realize that he had to change his people or they might wipe out more planets. Maybe what Vulcan childen are taught about how logic saved the Vulcans was wrong, but that they were taught logic to save the galaxy from the Vulcans. I had thought that maybe just a few Vulcans know the truth about Suraks past and the rest of the people were taught the lie. The adventure itself would involve a select few Vulcans who knew the truth and were willing to kill to protect it.

Comments or suggestions anyone?
    Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug.

Oh, that is good. The father of everything Vulcan holds dear nothing but a bloodthirsty general...I like it.
    It appeals to me that the supercilious, arrogant Vulcans have a deep dark secret. I think it would be cool if everybody found out despite the best efforts of your PC's.
    Watch the feathers fly, and the eyebrows rise!
    The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal.

It works for me, as well. That Surak cold be a man of violence and logic would be a nice touch, not that he repented his former life, but took to the path of logic out of necessity for survival than any kind of altruism.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Weird...I was thinking about something like that last night. I have to say, this is a really good idea, let us know how the episode (sounds like a sesson finally two parter to me) goes!

Kyle

I had not decided when in the season to set it but now that you mention it, it would work well for a season finale. Thanks for the suggestions and comments guys, keep them coming.
    Last edited by Steele1701; 05-06-2002 at 09:15 AM.

Reminds me of the novel Kahless, where we learn that Kayless both was and was not the man Klingon history records him as. (No spoiler there.)

I'm not sure I like the idea of him doing it to spare the Galaxy the wrath of the Vulcans. I'm trying to think of a more selfish motive.
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn Pro
    We're hip-deep in alien cod footsoldiers. Define 'weird'.
    (I had this cool borg smiley here, but it was on my site and my isp seems to have eaten my site. )

Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom, Earth, Sector 001
    This would also explain why the Vulcans do not like other species poking into Vulcan's past. Its a novel idea.
    -------------------------
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

"In time of war, the law falls silent"

Admiral Ross to Dr Bashir

Revenge

Maybe Surak would be worried that some of the races might eventually gang up on the Vulcans to take them dowm. It would be better to quit while they were ahead.

Another alternate Vulcan history:

The Romulans are not an offshoot of the Vulcan, the Vulcans are an offshoot of the Romulans. During the great exile, one of the Romulans, Surak, a vehement power hungry dissident wanting to change their ways to logic started being dangerous and almost ready to take control of the fleet. This was not tolerable for the actual Praetor who then banned Surak and a large part of his followers on a desertic planet almost unsuitable for life. Surak and his followers were divided about what way to follow. There was division between the true believer and those afraid by this new life blaming their present status on Surak's madness. Surak and his follower decided that the only logical way was to wage war and destroy those opposing us so that Logic could prevail. The war raged on over the planet untill Surak and his follower wiped out all oppositions. Surak died in the last battle. One of his follower, Lovok, an all time moderate disgusted by what was done, convinced the others that what they did under Surak direction was unlogical, and that logic could only be reached through peace. So they settled in a new city and there he and his followers hide the truth from their descendants so no one would be tempted to act unlogically again. The humble Lovok being the first one to lie, telling all the legends about Surak the peacefull man, leading their people out of war through logic.
    Of course the truth, while completely forgotten by the Romulans, is known by some of the most important Vulcans (a few governementals and scholars), but even logic has it's pride and there are far from being ready to admit it.

well, maybe it's a bit too far fetched but I kinda like it .
    Hoping You'll understand all of this

Lightbulb Repent ye sinners

The original idea that I had for Suraks conversion would be that he would look across the devestation he and his army have wrought across an innocent world and realize that he could not let himself or his people continue this way. He would realize that he would have to gain control over himself and his emotions or they would lead him to destroy everything.