Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Star Trek Novel?

Talking

Uhura's song was the one with the feline disease right?

I LUVED that one

Reunion, Imzadi, Vendetta,Vulcan's Forge (why did Spock choose Starfleet?), Shadows on the Sun (McCoy's past FINALLY told! not that Crisis on Centaurus or Dreams of the Raven GAG), Spock's World, Prime Directive, Enterprise First Adventure and Avatar

Originally posted by Cluttered Mind
    I must preface this by saying that I've barely read any Trek novels since the TOS line began to go downhill around #55 or so back in the late 80s. But I appear to be alone here in having my favorites be Diane Duane's early works - The Wounded Sky is my favorite overall, while My Enemy, My Ally has the best battle scenes.

Cluttered Mind
    Forgot about those, read them while I was in college (Yes I know, i'm showing my age.) They were very good indeed

It was interesting to see the story twisted around to become TNG's "Where no one has gone before". And there is something about 430 Pissed off Vulcans rampaging a Romulan Base because they have been feeling thier Captain being tortured.

Karg

Hmm...

Dunno if I could name one, but my top tier includes:

Uhura's Song

Prime Directive

The Wounded Sky

My Enemy, My Ally

The Ashes of Eden

In the Name of Honor

Vulcan's Forge

For those of you who bailed out of reading the novels in the very late '80s or early '90s, you might want to try some of the newer stuff. The dark times are over, and innovation and creativity are back amidst the Trek novels.

Best,
    Alex

Imzadi. Probably the only ST novel I've read more than once. Makes me cry every time.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Just remembered some more good ones:

Doctor's Orders (I think). Kirk leaves McCoy with the conn to show him what command is like; Kirk then disappears. since no one outranks Kirk, even Spock can't relieve McCoy. Then the Klingons show up....

"Isn't the Enterprise Kirk's ship?
    "I, ah, killed him."
    "Oh."

Then there are the two Bantam novels Price of the Phoenix and Year of the Phoenix. If you ever see them, pick those up. Omne is one bad dude!

Perrryyy Guest
    My Enemy My Ally
    Gemworld 1 & 2
    Genesis Wave series
    IDIC Epidemic was great!

The Millenium series definitely. I also have a soft spot for the Romulan Prize because it was the first Trek novel I ever read...

Originally posted by Lord Kjeran
    Just remembered some more good ones:

Doctor's Orders (I think). Kirk leaves McCoy with the conn to show him what command is like; Kirk then disappears. since no one outranks Kirk, even Spock can't relieve McCoy. Then the Klingons show up....

"Isn't the Enterprise Kirk's ship?
    "I, ah, killed him."
    "Oh."

Oh I love Doctor's Orders

There was also one called The Disinherited (I think) that had Uhura working with Commodore Wesley's crew aboard Lexington, while Kirk and the Enterprise had a separate plot (both of which come together at the end).

Also, many of Christie Golden's Voyager novels are quite good.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Re: Favorite Star Trek Novel?

Just curious as to what everyone's favorite novel (of any ST series) is.

Close runner ups for me are STOS #16 The Final Reflection by John M. Ford and STNG: Crossover by Michael Jan Friedman.
    For my two cents, I feel TOS #16 "The Final Reflection" was the best because John Ford was able to create a whole new world outside of Kirk and Spock that was believable. His groundwork on the Klingon Culture has become the foundation on much of what has developed since. Most Klingon Fanclubs credit John Ford with the essence of interpretting Klingons.
    "Some men see things as they are and say "Why?" Others dream things that never were and say "Why Not?"" -- George Bernard Shaw

Re: Re: Favorite Star Trek Novel?

Chello!

Originally posted by METH
    His groundwork on the Klingon Culture has become the foundation on much of what has developed since. Most Klingon Fanclubs credit John Ford with the essence of interpretting Klingons.
    As well as being the basis for teh FASA Trek Klingon s/b. The 1e s/b mentions that...I can't remember if the 2e one does or not. Regardless, I like his explanation for the differences in the Klingon look between TOD and TMP better (ie, fusions). I know KAG (Klingon Assault Group) still uses that info.

And as someone who dresses up as Imperial Race at cons, I agree with you. Like I said, FR is a close 2nd to Uhura's song.
    Anthony N. Emmel, M.A.
    Learned Scholar & Catholic Gentleman

U.S.S. Victory NCC-1760
    "England expects that every man will do his duty."

Originally posted by Dan Stack
    I'd have to say the totally non-canon Final Reflection is my favorite Trek novel, a story about Klingons written way back in the early 80.s.
    I have to agree. Best of the novels going. The only ones close are "My Enemy, My Ally" and "The Romulan Way".

Most of the others are just recycled hokum.

Originally posted by Azar Kel
    A Stitch in Time would be mine.

I'm a sucker for a good tailoring novel.
    I am reading it now. It is very well thought out, and enough plot twists to really keep you guessing. I love it so far.
    "Some men see things as they are and say "Why?" Others dream things that never were and say "Why Not?"" -- George Bernard Shaw

Re: Re: Re: Favorite Star Trek Novel?

Chello!

As well as being the basis for the FASA Trek Klingon s/b. The 1e s/b mentions that...I can't remember if the 2e one does or not. Regardless, I like his explanation for the differences in the Klingon look between TOD and TMP better (ie, fusions). I know KAG (Klingon Assault Group) still uses that info.

And as someone who dresses up as Imperial Race at cons, I agree with you. Like I said, FR is a close 2nd to Uhura's song.
    Kai Kassai Brother.. Qapla!!

The one that that guy wrote about the one crew going to that place where they found those cool aliens. It had a lot of action, ad the chicks were hot, and it had -- like -- this green ocover with pictures of guy sin starfleet uniforms and a ship...

That one...
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

My favourite Star Trek Novel, is one I have just finished reading called "Best Destiny" by Diane Carey. It tells the story of Kirk in his younger years (around 16), to quote from the blurb: "James T. Kirk will get a glimpse of the future and his own Best Destiny".
    I don't really like TNG books. For some odd reason, I just have trouble with them. Something seems not right, probably bad character profiling or something. meh.