Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Star Trek Novel?

Favorite Star Trek Novel?

Chello!

Just curious as to what everyone's favorite novel (of any ST series) is.

For me it has to Uhura's Song (STOS #21) by Janet Kagan. I think the characterizations in the book is true to form; I can see the characters responding to events the way they do in the book. You also get to see two of the most underutilized characters in STOS, Uhura and Chekov, shine and perform like Starfleet Officers rather than extras for a change. This book plays out in my mind like an episode, complete with streo surround sound and technicolor!

Close runner ups for me are STOS #16 The Final Reflection by John M. Ford and STNG: Crossover by Michael Jan Friedman.
    Anthony N. Emmel, M.A.
    Learned Scholar & Catholic Gentleman

U.S.S. Victory NCC-1760
    "England expects that every man will do his duty."

I have never really gotten into the novels, I think most of them are frightfully boring. But I do have to say that I was impressed by what I have read in SCE series.

I have yet to read Starfleet Year One, but it looks like it could be interesting. And I have been thinking of trying the new Stargazer series out as well.

I like the stories that take us away from what is on the screen, it is a big universe out there.

"How Much for Just the Planet" all time best IMHO.

I'm sure it is canon too....

TK

I'd have to say the totally non-canon Final Reflection is my favorite Trek novel, a story about Klingons written way back in the early 80.s.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Prime Directive is my all time favourite. Sadly the Reeves-Stevens have rapidly gone downhill a la Peter David and now churn out badly-plotted fanfic.

Final Reflection and How Much For Just The Planet were a good read. I also liked Chain of Attack and the sequel The Final Nexus, by, AFAIR, Gene DeWeese.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

How much for just the planet was good
    The Final Reflection
    The Vulcan Acadamy Murders: Dosn't follow canon very much but a good read
    Assignment: Eternity
    Day of Honor: the TOS and DS9 stories
    Rules of Engagement
    War zone (I think thats the title it was an early TNG novel, Peter David wrote)

Karg

The Final Reflection is mine, hands down

Avatar 1&2 are a close second and third though

Immortal Coil - Wonderful book that explains Androids in TNG
    Final Reflection - The father of all Klingon books, even if it's not "cannon" now
    Battleship & Dreadnaught - Done before "Below Decks (TNG)" It was intreasting to see how lower-level officers observed Kirk and Crew. VERY uncannon but had some very nice moments in it (Such as Kirk having a schooner named Edith Keeler
    Anyone who still uses Frames for a website should be shot.
    Does your sig area really need to be bigger then your post?

lol...I always wondered if I was the only person who ever read The Final Reflection!

I had forgot about Dreadnaught. I originally read it becuause the "Dragon" review said it was a good look at how to run a ST campaign.

Another ~interesting~ book that is VERY uncanon is Crisis on Centaurus. Has some good moments, like Chekov launching the planet's nuclear missiles at the Alpha Cenaturi A (don't ask!) and the fact that Kirk is a major land-owner on the planet...owns half of a wliderness continent and has a private retreat (log cabin) named (GROAN) "the Captain's Log."
    Anthony N. Emmel, M.A.
    Learned Scholar & Catholic Gentleman

U.S.S. Victory NCC-1760
    "England expects that every man will do his duty."

A Stitch in Time would be mine.

I'm a sucker for a good tailoring novel.

A Stitch in Time is indeed one of the best.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

I must preface this by saying that I've barely read any Trek novels since the TOS line began to go downhill around #55 or so back in the late 80s. But I appear to be alone here in having my favorites be Diane Duane's early works - The Wounded Sky is my favorite overall, while My Enemy, My Ally has the best battle scenes.

How Much For Just The Planet? is very funny, though, and I did enjoy Final Reflection. Other good ones IMHO are Dreadnought and Battlestations (albeit a bit heavy on the hero-worship side), Strangers In The Sky, Time For Yesterday, The Vulcan Academy Murders, and Spock's World.

Cluttered Mind

If I had to pick one, I would have to say that Final Reflection was my fav.
    Wolf.

Lightbulb

You might find this thread interesting...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I also loved The Final Reflection. Others include How Much for Just the Planet?, Uhura's Song, Tears of the Singers, Mutiny on the Enterprise and The Wounded Sky. More recent favorites include The Battle of Betazed, both Eugenics Wars novels and the S.C.E. books.
    The best way to predict the future is to create it.