Thread: About Languages and Unarmed Combat

About Languages and Unarmed Combat

Could someone give me something of a benchmark scale as to skill levels for languages... for instance, what level's "speak only," what's "speak with idioms and/or accent", what's "speak and read," etc?

Also, on the Unarmed Combat skill, if there're no actual combat styles, available as specialties and all of them (from my standpoint) work the same, why have Unarmed as a skill group in the first place?

--Mac

Maybe there's more on unarmed combat in the NG, but for now, I'm just running with the idea, if a maneuver is part of a particular style, and you have that style, you get the specialty bonus.

IE: Savate & Karate have kicks, kicks are covered in the specialty. Akido's got wrist locks and throws and what have you; covered by the specialty. Boxing doesn't have kicking -- no specialty bonus. Brawling includes all the goofy Kirk-stuff from the show.

It'll work for now.

Languages? It's a 1-12 scale...I'm assuming it tracks with the US Army's scale from DLI:

0 -- You don't know it.
    1 = '0+', or basic familiarity. You can ID the langauge and know a few words.
    2= '1', or basic survival level. You can ask where the bathroom is and say 'good morning'.
    3='1+', advanced survival level. You can do greetings, basic conversational stuff.
    4='2' or proficiency. You can handle most subjects, sometimes with trouble.
    5='2+' or proficiency. Like 2, but you don't hesitate and say 'uhhh' as much.
    6='3' fluent. You are fluent in the language. You run into the occasional trouble with grammar and advanced vocab, but have o trouble expressing yourself. (Most native speakers of a language are about here with HS education.)
    7='3+' advanced fluency. You can discuss a lot of esoteric subjects that most people can't normally. (Well-spoken natives, multiple dialects.)
    8='4' or mac daddy linguist dude. You handle any subject, no hesitation and can ape most dialects and accents with little chance of being caught out as a poseur.
    9='4+' As if you weren't good enough...
    10='5' This level exsts. Supposedly, no one is a 5. Why do hey have it? 'Well...this one goes to 11...'

My guess...
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Wink Well...

Originally posted by qerlin
    10='5' This level exsts. Supposedly, no one is a 5. Why do hey have it? 'Well...this one goes to 11...'

My guess...
    "5" means "This clown's been taking the same DLPT for the past 10 years. Give him a different version."
    Insert something clever

Re: Well...

Originally posted by Dave Biggins

"5" means "This clown's been taking the same DLPT for the past 10 years. Give him a different version."
    ROTFLMAO!!!!

I know that guy! 3+ linguist who couldn't speak arabic as well as me at 2.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill