Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question About The Command Edge

Question Question About The Command Edge

Hello --

Is the Command Edge something that gets purchased once in an officer's career at Tier 1 when that officer makes it to Department Head and then a second time (at Tier 2) when that officer makes it to XO or Captain?

...or is it purchased as part of every Advancement in which the player wants to document that the officer had a command position during the period of time represented by that Advancement, even if the officer has been in that same command position for two or more Advancement periods?

(Does this make sense?)

Thanks in advance --

Reading the description of the edge in the book, I think you have it right the first time.

The player takes it once when the character becomes a department head. Taking it again would upgrade it to level 2 indicating a captaincy or equivalent.

Note that edges do not have "tiers" as such (professional abilities do) just levels that may or may not be upgradable. Each time you take an edge upgrades it to a new level - they do not need "maintenance" as such!

Also advancements represent packages of improvements, not periods of time as you seem to be thinking. You do not need to account for everything you did, just what you got out of it!
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Imagus is spot on with this one. When you become a Department Head or a First Officer, you purchase Command 1. When you get promoted to Commanding Officer, you get Command 2.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

JUst wondering...

WHat happens in situations where a character losses command? For instance, being demoted, or given a new assignment under somone else's command.

That would be up to the Narrator, really. In my game, I could see lowering the Edge as necessary, but then I probably wouldn't have actually made them pay picks to raise it from 1 to 2 in the first place. I feel that promotions and such should be earned, not bought.

But that's just my opinion and not the official stance of Decipher in any way.

My take on the Command edge is that it's generally useful only for building advanced characters at chargen. During play, I don't know that I'll allow players to buy it for their characters, since I tend to think rather like Doug on the lines of PC promotions.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Originally posted by Doug Burke
    Imagus is spot on with this one. When you become a Department Head or a First Officer, you purchase Command 1. When you get promoted to Commanding Officer, you get Command 2.
    Hmm..I must have read that text wrong then. I assumed that "lower level command" meant Department Heads and that, since First Officers would be left in command of the ship far more than, say, the Chief Flight Control Officer, that they would be Command 2 also. Guess I have a bit of revising to do on some characters

Allen

Thumbs up Roger

Thanks, guys. Got it!

Allen: Yeah, I coudl see the confusion, but just think of it this way. If you are usually on the same ship or station as your direct superior, the highest level of Command you can have is Level 1. If you are in charge of something relatively autonomous, like a ship, a base, or a fleet, then you get Command 2.

BTW, I happen to know for a fact that Kira Nerys (prior to Sisko's disappearance) and Spock (during TOS) have only Command 1.

Hmm, command of a Fleet.

Maybe that should be Command 3?

Command One- Department Head
    Command Two-Commanding Officer
    Command Three-Commodore/Fleet Captain

Originally posted by tonyg
    Hmm, command of a Fleet.

Maybe that should be Command 3?
    It could be, I suppose. But it really still falls under Command 2...

Originally posted by Doug Burke

It could be, I suppose. But it really still falls under Command 2...
    I don't know. Command 3 would make a lot of sense. Especially for Fleet Captains. Admirials in charge of starbases (with support ships) etc.

I mean, if we are going to use the COmmand Edge in the first place, why not use it logically?

Originally posted by tonyg
    I don't know. Command 3 would make a lot of sense. Especially for Fleet Captains. Admirials in charge of starbases (with support ships) etc.

I mean, if we are going to use the COmmand Edge in the first place, why not use it logically?
    Oh, there you go, invoking logic again....
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

another question

When does the command edge apply?

a) Once and only once during each game session.

b) Whenever the command officer is present.

Which one is it? The text seemed fairly straight-forward to me, but one of my players was a bit confused.

Joe
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

"You know this roleplaying thing is awfully silly, let's just roll the dice." - overheard during a D&D 3E game.

The quick answer is both. The long answer is that it applies as follows:

Command 1: Once and Only Once a session, whiole the officer with Command 1 is present, direct subordinates get a +1 with one professional skill.

Command 2: a) As Command 1, but on two separate skills (so twice in one session); or b) As Command 1, but a +2 bonus (and only once per session).

Hope that helps.