Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrath of Khan Directors Edition DVD info...

Wrath of Khan Directors Edition DVD info...

Here's some info...

http://www.startrek.com/news/productnews.asp?ID=124494

I just have to wait until August.

The only thing it seems to be missing is the TOS episode 'Space Seed' just to round off the story!!!

mmm... I wonder!!! Surely I cant be the only person to have thought that?
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Originally posted by Dan Gurden
    The only thing it seems to be missing is the TOS episode 'Space Seed' just to round off the story!!!

mmm... I wonder!!! Surely I cant be the only person to have thought that?
    Probably not, but since they have the entire run of TOS on DVD already, they might have had some philosophical problems in duplicating the existing stuff.

Ah, well, who knows? All I know is that I'm going to hate waiting until August. I wonder if they're talking to Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner about Director Cuts of the their Trek films....
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

I don't think I could handle much more of Shatner's 'vision' (delusion would be more like it!) for STV. Let's consign that one to the dustbin of history, shall we?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra

I'm not a great fan of ST5 myself, but I think that it might benefit from a decade plus of hind-sight. That, and eventually perhaps I'll actually own all the films in "Director's Cut" editions. The editions out now for all the films but ST:TMP kinda suck, IMHO. I personally think it's kind of embarrassing how badly Paramount has treated one of their bigger cash cows over the years.

So no, let's don't consign it to the dustbin of history. Let's see if it can get fixed up a little bit and see if anything useful can come from it.

Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom, Earth, Sector 001
    Originally posted by PGoodman13

So no, let's don't consign it to the dustbin of history. Let's see if it can get fixed up a little bit and see if anything useful can come from it.
    Q himself would be hard pushed to get anything useful from "The film that shall not be named"
    -------------------------
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

"In time of war, the law falls silent"

Admiral Ross to Dr Bashir

Originally posted by Erik Filean
    I don't think I could handle much more of Shatner's 'vision' (delusion would be more like it!) for STV. Let's consign that one to the dustbin of history, shall we?
    You really dont want to know... But there are photos of the deleted 'Kirk vs the Rock Monster' scenes before his rescue by the Klingon Bird of Prey at the films end...

Its scary that the film could actually have been worse!
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

I should have expected this kind of reaction; I mean, hell, even I didn't care for Star Trek V that much. I guess I'm just odd in wanting the same treatment for all the Trek films; if there are going to be "Director's Cut" editions of a couple of them, I think there should be "Director's Cut" editions of all of them.

Having seen some of the derision, however, I'm sorry I ever brought up the concept of a director's cut of Star Trek V. I guess some Trek is more worthy than others.

I don't like Star Trek V either

BUT..........

the shuttflecraft, Spock playing the lyre, hearing Uhura singing, Pavel in the driver's seat and how Bones' father died are stuff that SHOULD have been in the other movies. It's sad it took THIS film to do that. Not only would they have been better, I would watch the other films. It's true V could have been worse!

The Wrath of Khan was the BEST one done.

HOWEVER the editing was AWFUL

Sulu's first name?! Naaaaa let's cut that

Peter is Scotty's nephew?! Naaaaaaaaaa let's cut that

I can justify 2 TOS movies but not 6.

this was such a waste.

give me the novels, short stories and comic books

TNG and DS9 are what TOS could have been

I never got to see ABC's Wrath of Khan

Bring it ON!

1 Question-was the warp effect for the DC of the Motion Picture changed?

for the Motion Picture and the Wrath of Khan the original was FINE

but for the rest it was changed to a rainbow SMEAR

yuck!

was a shield effect added?

It has been a long time since I've seen STV but I'll throw something in..
    As it has been generally accepted that movie is the worst ST movie. And I hope it will remain the worst. There are some (!) parts of the movie that don't fit into ST (you know what I mean, the galactic center rim ) and some parts that were done very poorly (well.. a lot). The plot was not a very decent either.
    As jedimuldoon said there are good scenes in the film that have more or less to do with actual plot but fit nicely into Star Trek.
    The Ambassadors in the far frontier planet. They must have been really bored. =) They don't resemble the normal standard for ambassadors (or diplomats or whatever they were) but not every man can be up to the standards - even in ST.
    A rogue Klingon captain. Young and thirsty for blood and no judgement of whatsoever.
    Command crew camping. They have free time, don't they? ;)

So what we have is a bunch of ok scenes that somebody come up with and then Shatner decided to make a movie out of them.. Somebody had to invent a some kind of loose plot to tie the events together but he was not succesfull as we all know.

And finally a unrelated comment:
    I am really waiting for the directors edition of Undiscovered Country.. =)

Vesku

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by PGoodman13
    I should have expected this kind of reaction; I mean, hell, even I didn't care for Star Trek V that much. I guess I'm just odd in wanting the same treatment for all the Trek films; if there are going to be "Director's Cut" editions of a couple of them, I think there should be "Director's Cut" editions of all of them.

Having seen some of the derision, however, I'm sorry I ever brought up the concept of a director's cut of Star Trek V. I guess some Trek is more worthy than others.
    Well, you're not alone...I'd probably buy the DC of STV...although I still have to get the TMP DC.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    Well, you're not alone...I'd probably buy the DC of STV...although I still have to get the TMP DC.
    Same here.

TMP DC is well worth it, and the re-edited version of the movie seems to work a lot better too. Some of the unnecessary stuff and dialogue had been cut and some of the special effects have been lucasfilmed - the "wing walk" to V'Ger at the end is much better than the original. I learnt a lot of new trivia for the movie from the documentaries soon - did you know that the originally cast actor for Xon(?) in Phase II played the commander of the Epsilon 9 station (the one that gets fried while spying on the Klingons). We even get some test footage of Xon - awful 70's hair though!
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Lightbulb STV

If anyone's read Shatner's Star Trek:Movie memories you will know that the final cut of STV was not all that he had hoped for.

I would like to hear him do a commentary track for the DVD.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

I, for one, am glad to see TWOK getting the Director's Cut treatment. It was the best fo the lot, mostly due to Nick Meyer's re-envisioning of characters.

It was a shame they cut a bunch of stuff, but after the 40 hour long flyby scenes of ST:TMP, there was a lot of pressure to make a Trek flick that didn't move at a snail's pace.

I'm not a big fan of 3-5: 3 undid everything that was great about 2; 4 was just campy; 5 was bad in every way a flick can be.

But I want Khan and TUC in Director's Cut versions, so I can see what Meyer would have done, unrestrained.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I will definitely get 2 and 6 in Director's Cut form. Although, maybe the other films would be better if the Director's vision wasn't compromised by the cutting room floor and editors. We could only hope! I can't wait for August!
    "Some men see things as they are and say "Why?" Others dream things that never were and say "Why Not?"" -- George Bernard Shaw