Thread: Galactic Utopia

Wink Galactic Utopia

In this alternate dimension, the Federation, Klingon Empire, Romulan Empire, etc never developed. Instead, a galactic power called the Union developed and spread across half the known galaxy. Over the 600 years since the formation of the Union it has developed into a galactic utopia.

I've already had one adventure in this dimension where our PCs from our regular Trek dimension had to track down several criminals that fled into this alternate dimension. They were successful in their mission and the utopia was perserved.

Now a new player wants to join the group and I am planning on this new PC to be from this alternate dimension, have an adventure here in this dimension with the PCs (so they can get to know each other) then return with them to the Trek dimension.

My problem is I am having a hard time coming up with an interesting idea in a galaxy that is a utopia. Any ideas?

Might help to define how the Union helps dissway the dirty rotten nature of beings for the good of the utopian society they live in. Whatever the technique, be it the perfect society, mass meditation through yoga, or negative thought energy removal through UNIVAC, give that character the most difficulty in dealing with it. Gives them internal conflict with their own lifestyle while still being good enough to give them reservations for going into such an unfamiliar and unstable universe.

Ooo, I like that, why not use the UNIVAC. Asimov always replaced his computer with a bigger model as mankind expanded. UNIVAC, HYPERVAC, etc. Who would have known the vacuum tube was the key to a utopian society.

UNIty Vindication Administrating Computer

neah, just a thought.

A good example of this on a planetary scale are the Edo... the ones who wanted to kill Wes for breaking a flower bed.

Too bad Picard saved him.

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

There are several possibilities for creating more utopian states than the Feds, or at least more powerful versions of the Federation, but nearly all are simply unfeasable without some sort of dark side, mostly centered around the enforcement of perfection, and the hypocricy of trying.

For example, I have always thought that GURPS Alternate Worlds' Gernsback had a chance to create a sort of hyper-tech global alliance on Earth which gets warp drive and so on a lot earlier than in our world.

If you don't have GURPS Alternate Worlds, just imagine a world which approximates the technological utopia envisioned at the 1939 World's Fair. Then add some elements from the Jetsons, and you have Gernsback, more or less.

Such an advanced and civilized Earth contacts the Vulcans and gets along, and likewise has few problems with the Centaurians. Though there might be friction with the Tellarites and Andorians, it seems likely that something like the Federation would form peacefully, only sooner and with higher tech.

The problem comes when this Earth, or this Federation meets the Romulans. By this time a parallel world like Gernsback is much more advanced than the Romulans. Though they start the Romulan War, they really haven't a chance. The Romulan War ends with a massive invasion of Romulus, and the virtual extermination of a population which simply won't surrender.

Contact with the Klingons takes on a similar feel. The Federation is much more advanced than the Klingons, and the Klingons attempt to attack the Feds. The war is very short, and extremely one sided, but also very bloody. QonoS is invaded and occupied, Klingon culture forcibly "reconstructed".

In other words, the imbalance of power created by an ultra-tech, ultra-utopian Federation turns long "cold wars" into short hot ones, which end with decisive Federation victories. The galaxy as a whole is more peaceful and more prosperous. Probably more people are living better lives than in standard Trek. But, this comes at the price of millions of casualties, and the gutting of most aggressive cultures. This, of course, would present your players with a moral dilemma.

No utopia is possible without a price paid by someone.

------------------
    Slan agat!

Then the real battle-it-outs come when they meet the Borg or Dominion.

Well, I've faced just that problem in trying to create a "Better than the Federation" Mirrorverse. (Interestingly enough, I called MINE the "Union" as well.)

Hopefully without giving it all away (I'll hopefully be posting my historical outline and such within a day or so), I'll say that Utopias have a hard time existing without SOMEONE enforcing the society's rules. Anarchy is generally not a viable government.

So perhaps your 'villains' are the people who maintain the status quo, working behind the scenes. What happens to 'destabilizing elements' in your Union...? And there are always resisters and malcontents, whether out of villainy, greed, or sheer boredom.