Thread: What Is The Difference Between The Structures Of Kirk's Ship & Pike's?

What Is The Difference Between The Structures Of Kirk's Ship & Pike's?

NEED IMMEDIATE ATTN:

From what I could see, it was a bit more primitive. Mostly cosmetic differences, though the weapons, I would assume, were less powerful.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Re-fits and personnel...

If you're talking about the ship, we can assume that it had at least one, and probably two refits between the time Pike commanded and the time Kirk commanded. I assume this because the USN brings its ships in for refits every few years. They get anything from new technology, to refits that reflect changing policies (one example of the latter: refits to better support female crew).

If you're talking about the people, well, command structures are modernized, and frequently, a captain has considerable choice in his subordinates. So, Pike's XO (Number One) had a different role in the ship than Kirk's. By Kirk's time, Spock occupied both his science officer position and the position of XO.

If you want specific differences, it might help if you ask specific questions. Pike's ship only appeared (really) in one episode, so not too much is known about it.

I meant tech wise and also crew capacity-I was thinking of spacedock stats and in my prior thread I wanted to know the spacedock stat differences between the Constitution Class Kirk's Enterprise, the Achernar Class Enterprise and the Bonhomme Richards Class Enterprise.

These two posts are correlated.

Well, the SRM: TOS Era (available "real soon now") has stats and information for the Constitution class in three different versions: early (April-Pike era), standard (Kirk TV era), and later (movie era). So, that will allow you to compare-and-contrast, or at least give you a baseline from which to make whatever changes you prefer.

It sounds like Steve's got it covered

In more general terms, what canon info there is seems to imply that Pike's Enterprise had a lower crew (ca. 250?) which might imply other systems taking up a larger chunk of the available space. It would not be unreasonable to assume a slightly lower speed and more primitive weaponry, although I personally shy away from giving it "lasers" (whatever they might be )...
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Originally posted by Imagus
    In more general terms, what canon info there is seems to imply that Pike's Enterprise had a lower crew (ca. 250?) which might imply other systems taking up a larger chunk of the available space.
    I think, in one of "The Menagerie" flashback scenes, the ship's doctor mentions to Pike that being responsible for 250 people could put a strain on a man. Since my DVD is currently on loan, I can't verify that one at the moment.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Originally posted by PGoodman13

I think, in one of "The Menagerie" flashback scenes, the ship's doctor mentions to Pike that being responsible for 250 people could put a strain on a man. Since my DVD is currently on loan, I can't verify that one at the moment.
    That's right - rub it in that TOS is not out on DVD in region 2 yet ...

(And they seem to have no intention of releasing it any time soon )
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Even lower... ?

I seem to recall that the figure quoted for the Pike era Enterprise was 215, not 250. Possibly I misheard. I don't remember it from "The Menagerie", but instead from "The Cage". If I get sufficiently ambitious, I'll get out the DVD and see if I can find the actual reference, later. I don't really have time to do that, now, sorry.

I do remember from the The Cage that it was 215.

since the sound and visual effect for the laser was later used for the phaser then to me hand phasers and thusly on board phaser banks existed in 2254.

Actually, it was 203 lives, from the episode "The Menagerie" where he says to the Dr. "You bet I'm tired...I'm tired of being responsible for 203 lives...." and so on. Kirk's Enterprise had a crew of 430, about 1/3 of which were female.

Some other differences that I'm aware of:

* Upgraded phasers.

* Updated Intercom system. Pike's Enterprise had the mini screens that extended from workstations and the captain's chair. Kirk's Enterprise had a bigger budget for better camera angles

* Uniforms were slightly different.

* The captain's quarters were different; Pike's was a circular room with a large viewing screen in the center. Kirk's was more like a small apartment with a living and working space.

Those are some differences. Any others I think of I'll let you know.

-Maltese_Falcon