Thread: New series idea... finally!

New series idea... finally!

See my thread "Series 2 Problems" for background on this:
    http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...&threadid=4282

First off, I'd like to thank Ronin84 for inspiring me to create this one. Based rather heavily on M.A.S.H., without further ado I present:

[THE SO FAR TITLELESS SERIES]

The sole PC works or lives in some position at a medical starbase near the front lines of the Dominion War. The starbase is mobile, designed with enough thrusters to move along the front relatively easily. The casualities arrive if starships can't handle their casualties with their own medical staff; they stop by this starbase. The best thing about this series is that my player has never seen an episode of M.A.S.H. as far as I know so I'm free to lift ideas from that show from time to time and adapt them for the 24th century.

This series has an "in" for almost any kind of character, since I'm not sure what my player will want to be. BTW, I'm using the Coda system.

Starship Officer: The easiest. Medical is the most obvious, as this is a MEDICAL base. Command personnel could be a "company clerk" of sorts ala Radar, security are needed to enforce law as usual just as on other starbases, and other positions are needed just as much as on other bases.

Rogues, Soldiers, etc: Civilians frequent the station as well, particularly refugees from the war. All kinds of non-Starfleet characters could show up aboard.

Diplomats: Could be assigned to negotiate with various species in the area to join the Federation.

Scientist: Could be a specialized medical technician of some kind, assisting the doctors.

Mystics Almost impossible to fit in, unfortunately. It's a good thing I'm about 110% percent positive my player won't want to be one of these...

Ideas? Comments? Suggestions? Please let me know what you think!
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

Bump. Why do I always have to bump my threads?

Originally posted by erhershman
    Bump. Why do I always have to bump my threads?
    Maybe you should just give people a little more time to come up with a reply.

AFAIR there have been 1 or 2 threads about MASH-style gaming on this forum in the past, but don't ask me abaout when or how the thread was named, can't remember that. Maybe if you dig around a little...

As to comments and ideas:

A Starbase with big thrusters seems rather slow and cumbersome for something that can come under enemy attack any day. IMHO you would be better of with a hospital ship that has a real chance of running away from a Jem'hadar surprise attack.

Are you sure this concept allows for enough adventures off the station if your player wants to go that way?
    As I understand your concept the station moves around a bit, but casualties arrive by starship from the front lines. While this may be great for lots of interacting with other people aboard the hospital, your PC might not get off the station much, making a change of pace for your adventures maybe a little difficult.
    While we have seen some MASH episodes were people had to leave the hospital and go on "away missions" I am not so sure this would be realistic for Trek. Starships with their own sickbays, high travel speeds and the fluid fronts of space battles make logistics very different from the Korean War IMO.

Apart from that (which may not be a problem at all in your book) I think your ideas are sound.

Originally posted by Lancer

Are you sure this concept allows for enough adventures off the station if your player wants to go that way?
    As I understand your concept the station moves around a bit, but casualties arrive by starship from the front lines. While this may be great for lots of interacting with other people aboard the hospital, your PC might not get off the station much, making a change of pace for your adventures maybe a little difficult.
    While we have seen some MASH episodes were people had to leave the hospital and go on "away missions" I am not so sure this would be realistic for Trek. Starships with their own sickbays, high travel speeds and the fluid fronts of space battles make logistics very different from the Korean War IMO.

Apart from that (which may not be a problem at all in your book) I think your ideas are sound.
    There would be several small medical vessels posted at the station. If a starship has lost engines and can't make it to the base, but needs help immediately, the PC can head over that way. And the DS9 core book from LUG that I own has lots of advice on running a station-only series.

Taking a Bow

Good ideas!!

Looking at what you read and the comments, all I can say is I can't wait for your first "BUG OUT" episode.

Or...the goony section 31 agent Captain Flagg

Or...the first Klingon casualties that need to celebrate one of their holidays with the sacrfical "lamb"

Just to name a few...

Let me know if I can be of any other help...

Ronin84
    "The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -- Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott ("A Taste of Armageddon")

Smile Series Title??? :-)

Ok, how're these for a couple of titles? :-)

Star Trek: Med Center
    Star Trek: Trauma Team
    Star Trek: Emergency Response (ER> )
    Star Trek: Angel One
    Star Trek: Federation Hope

mmm ok, I'll run and hide now....

Tom

You could always make it a telnet game, then it could be called M*U*S*H

How about the U.S.S. Eligieus ?

Or you can follow Starfleets lead in naming ships (star) after ships (wet) and go with either the U.S.S. Comfort or Mercy. Those are 2 US Navy Hospital ships.
    Also, I once used The U.S.S. Mayo as a hospital ship.

Perrryyy Guest

M*A*S*H* Marathon on FX

Did you happen to catch any of the M*A*S*H* Memorial day marathon on the fX network? I might be able to come up with some ideas later, after i digest what was played.

Re: M*A*S*H* Marathon on FX

Originally posted by Perrryyy
    Did you happen to catch any of the M*A*S*H* Memorial day marathon on the fX network? I might be able to come up with some ideas later, after i digest what was played.
    No, unfortunately I didn't. I was on vacation in another state, in a hotel WITHOUT CABLE TV