Thread: A different character generation cheat sheet

A different character generation cheat sheet

Here is my take on a quick one-page summary of character generation. It's currently only in monochrome, and tends towards a TOS/Film motif (as befits my own personal prejudices). It takes a slightly different approach from Didymus's cheat sheet, though you should end up in the same place when all is said and done.

This is my first attempt at making a PDF for public consumption, and my page layout skills are a little rusty, so be kind when you let me know what you think. If it proves popular, I might do other versions with some color and in a TNG motif as well.

Many thanks; I hope you like it.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Thumbs up

Thanks for the additional resource.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Happy to help; thought it was time I finally put my money where my mouth is. Does it work, is the big question....

Originally posted by PGoodman13
    Does it work, is the big question....
    Not having actually tried to create a character yet, I shall give it a test run over the next couple of days and let you know...

"Get a Life" - I love it
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Thumbs up

Very sharp and succinct. I will share it with my players. Good Job and QAPLA!
    "Some men see things as they are and say "Why?" Others dream things that never were and say "Why Not?"" -- George Bernard Shaw

PGoodman13: Nicely done It's a lot less intimidating than mine to newbies (Less writing and bigger fonts) My only niggle with it (and it is microscopic) ia that you should get players to think about their background (personal development) before you hit them with the PersD skill/edge choices. Maybe after they pick a ProD package? But this is really a minor quibble.

"Get a Life" makes me chuckle everytime I hit that stage of development

As for the layout, 'tis nice and uncluttered (without my big mean black blocks) and the watermark in the back is a nice touch.

All in all Very nice job
    Sir Didymus
    If one studies too zealously, one easily loses his pants<br>
    -- Albert Einstein

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Didymus: This sheet is mostly just to help players get through chargen easier; chargen as presented in the PG can be kind of daunting, especially for newbies. I feel like it's the Narrator's job to guide them through the specifics of character background and such. I am working, in my copious unstructured free time, on a "Building a Better Character" handout that will be a few pages long and get into some more details on things like that. This is going to be a ways off, however.

I'm glad you like the watermark. I went back and did several versions, both mono and color, with the Command, Sciences, and Support badges as watermarks. I also did a TNG motif, with the TNG fonts and badges, but I don't like it as much. As soon as I get them up on the web, I'll include links. I need to learn how to make thumbnails of PDF files so I can make the page a little more appealing, too.

Glad you like it, though. Thanks again.

Exclamation Updates!

All right, after a very hectic week, I finally had some time today to sit down and fiddle with my chargen cheat sheet a little bit. I tweaked the text slightly, and made a couple of minor stylistic changes. They're now as finished as I think they're going to get.

Here is a link to the brand-new Star Trek RPG Support page on my website; all the different versions of this cheat sheet can be found there, along with the explanation for why there are so many different versions if they all say exactly the same thing.

Don, if you feel they're worth including in the resources here on Trek-RPG.Net, I'd be delighted for you to include them, or at least provide a pointer to my Trek RPG page.

Let me know if you like the changes.

Re: A different character generation cheat sheet

Originally posted by PGoodman13
    Here is my take on a quick one-page summary of character generation.
    PGoodman13: I noticed that the cheat sheet doesn't mention elite professions. Was this to reduce the size/amount of text, or is it implied in char gen rules that elite professions would be taken?

Thanks for the work!
    ~~~randy~~>

Re: Re: A different character generation cheat sheet

Originally posted by Sawyer II
    I noticed that the cheat sheet doesn't mention elite professions. Was this to reduce the size/amount of text, or is it implied in char gen rules that elite professions would be taken?
    The cheat sheet doesn't mention anything about creating advanced characters at all. My philosophy on that is that if you're going to do that, it's up to the Narrator and the player to sit down together. This cheat sheet is just for basic chargen.

Thanks for the ffedback.