Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone still here?

When something new comes out, I may buy it to look at and maybe even sponge ideas from but it requires a fair amount to woo me over to make such a switch. LUG managed it but while I may try a game of Dec-Trek, I will not be making the investment in time to switch over.
    Donīt buy it!!!

I played Icon and then i tried Coda they are roughly the same!!!!!
    Save your money and buy your Friends for the next session some sweets and so on!

I have spend over $400 CDN on ICON books - so I have an invested interest in ICON.

However CODA trek is pretty interesting... I dunno what I am going run should I ever find a game group that wants to play it (I've tried to get a couple of games together but my group just wants to play Star Wars).
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams

Hell I still triing to find people to play the game with either IRQ or email every game I end up joining starts to die off from lack of interest.
    You don't have to like it, you just have to do it .
    Richard Marcinko

Cool still playing

Me and my group are playing the ICON TNG game for almost 3 years now. We played 41 episodes and are still playing (just klick on the banner and you will see, but beware its all in german ).

I don't think that I will buy the CODA System. I invested enough money in the ICON System to play for decades and I don't think that CODA is that different.

"United they stand"

Donīt buy it!!!
    Save your money and buy your Friends for the next session some sweets and so on!
    Oh Well I ave already bought the game, though the advice is sound. The games are very similar and adaptions quite easy.

Though the reverse adaptation is what I am doing. Dec-Trek to ICON. I have made a large investment into ICON and have found it the best. (I have been a LOOOOONG Standig fan os the old FASA system...though me and my group have modified it over the years)

Though in hindsight I think the players may have preferred the sweets and soda

I love you, guys. Really.

First, i have to be clear on one point : i have NEVER used ICON. When i am a Star Trek narrator, i do it diceless, and it works, even better and simpler than ole FASA times My wife, however, use ICON.

Now...

I bought CODA. I had to. As an ever-going French idiosyncrasy, LUGTrek didn't sell too much here (in my county, anyway). But, don't ask me, CODA did sell. So... i have to leran the new Federation Standard, eh.

But i'd likely trade the DecBooks (Player and Narrator's alike) for some LUG supplements (especially Klingons... no originality, uh?). It seems to me, perhaps only to me, that LUG is far more useful for playing in the Original Era (my favourite, ya know). Some hints points to the fact that Decipher doesn't really care for TOS (well, they're in phase with Paramount...). Star Trek RPG was a more than excellent work, it doesn't deserve to be forgotten (especially in favor of a "use 24th century data, just change the dates" sort of game...)

As for the rules...
    I read ICON, and understood it at once, without major headache. It's my third attempt for DEC Character Creation... I begin to get it...
    Frankly, CODA looks (again, to me, but to some others too... but i'll stick with "to me") as d20, but with 2d6, with some ICON input... There are, however, great ideas. ICON had its flaws, and CODA corrects most of them (by adding some new ones). But I don't think that such a drastic change was necessary. But perhaps were there some copyright issues...

So, no, i don't think ICON is dead. I don't use it, OK, but it is a reference point to me. As for CODA, i feel it's filling a gap that never was.

Oops, hope i wasn't too long... (and i was understandable).

Bumfuck Illinois, but I'm near St. Louis! Watch while I busrt with excitement!
    I work in a Comic book/Games shop. We had never had any interest in the Coda stuff before, but my curiosity was piqued and at my prodding my boss ordered a single copy of the Players Guide and the Narators Guide. I am so far unimpressed. Many of the character creation pages seem to have been ripped from the pages of the LUG sourcebooks. Not surprizing as Steve Long has apparently worked on both systems. And yes the modifyers are daunting. Makes Shadowrun look like Amber (whcih is a crap diceless rollplaying game with little imagination, for those of you who are unfamiliar).

Hell, I spent over a month making the entire crew of a Romulan vessle once! And I didn't even have a group ready to play yet!

I am a sick man and I need help.
    "Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."