Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Starship Officer Elite Profession

New Starship Officer Elite Profession

WARNING this is not an invitation to start a debate on the M Word! It provides a more realistic view of a Professional Soldier then what is offered in the Soldier Class discription. I plan to add some Development packages shortly.

Ground Force Line Officers
    Ground Force Line Officers lead ground force platoons, companies and battalion/regiments in the field in many cases acting as a de-facto constabulary in areas where 'normal' law enforcement has yet to take root. They also serve as civil engineers, pilots, and as defense advisors to colonial administrations and friendly governments. In many cases these missions range from helping to building structures for new colonies to defending them from pirate and marauder attacks along the frontier. The toughest missions are those involving peacekeeping where the troops are assigned to separate often still warring factions from one another or enforcing a previously arrived at settlement. Many times these missions actually involve disarming the locals and engaging in local conflict resolution . But the most prized duty is aboard starships/starbases where doing normal house keeping duties they form an adjunct to security and serve to repel boarders and/or performing inspections on alien vessels. Typically though there are not enough ground force units for all line officers to serve in and they are frequently detached to serve in other capacities aboard starships or starbases.

In doing so ground force members are called upon to perform very difficult task even when it is only to serve as a stabilizing influence in an otherwise unstable setting such as after a natural disaster or in the wake of civil conflict. In many cases such as with Starfleet Marines they are prevented from being used in their own core territory and are only found along the frontiers of their government. Within some peaceful cultures such as the Federation they are looked down upon and considered at best unwanted but needed and at worst psycho-pathic killers. But yet they all posses a wide breath of knowledge and competence to a depth and degree surprising to nearly all but themselves.

Line Officers in Star Trek: Colonel West, Major Kira Nerys

Game Information
    Prerequisites: Starship Duty, Administration 2+, Negotiate 3+, Persuade 2+, Systems Operation 2+.

Attributes: All Line Officers must seek a keen balance between Intellect, Presence and Strength to perform their task adequately. However those with excellent Presence and/or Intellect are the ones who usually manage to find there way to the top. Players may choose either Intellect or Presence as thier favorite attribute.

Reactions: like the Command officer a line officer must have willpower to lead others in hazardous and often life threatening conditions where the strength of their character will be of the highest importance showing resolute determination and fearlessness.

TABLE 3.16: LINE OFFICER SKILLS
    The Line Officer Professional skills, and the key attribute for each are as follows:
    Investigate, Per
    Negotiate, Int
    Observe, Per
    Persuade, Per
    System Operation, Int
    Tactics, Int

Professional Abilities
    The following are Characteristics of being a Line Officer. A Player character automatically gains one Tier 1 Professional ability (in addition to the starship officer's duty) when created. Additional abilities can be chosen freely through advancement, provided the character meets the ability prerequisites.

Tier 1 Professional Abilities
    Conflict Presence - Line officers unlike other starship officers are constantly in the sight of the personnel they lead. Therefore they must give a good account of themselves in any situation where they are performing there duties. When making a Willpower reaction test, the line officer rolls one extra die (3d6), but keeps the highest two numbers rolled. The rule for rolling double 6's still applies.

Peacekeeping Ops - Ground force line officers receive a large amount of training in conflict resolution and it is at the small platoon level where they nearly constantly have to apply it when deployed on such missions. They automatically receive one free specialty of there choice upon acquiring either the Negotiate or Persuade skills. When performing a skill test with any one of these two skills they gain a +2 bonus to their die roll.

Survival Training - Line officers, especially pilots, undertake rigorous survival training in order to increase there chance of survival in cases where they find themselves alone and cut off from immediate additional help. They Automatically gain one free specialty of there choice upon acquiring the survival skill. When performing a skill test with their survival skill they gain a +2 bonus to their die roll.

Tier 2 Professional Abilities
    Ground Ops - Line officers must coordinate the actions of several smaller units of various abilities to achieve a goal within a set amount of time. They do this by applying various tactics to the given situation in a quick as means possible way. They Automatically gain one free specialty of there choice to their tactics skill upon acquiring this Professional ability. In addition they gain a +2 bonus to any initiative quickness reaction test they make during combat. Prerequisite: Tactics 3+ or Conflict Presence

Instruction - Line officers often find themselves in situations where they must instruct local populations and forces in new methods of doing something or conveying new concepts and knowledge. When attempting to explain to others a skill already gained by the character they gain a +2 modifier to the relevant skill test being made. Prerequisite: Peacekeeping Ops.

Tier 3 Professional Abilities
    Indirect Command - The Character has the ability to lend his tactical and negotiating skills over great distances by use of various communication devices to the local on seen leaders. If the character is in contact with another player or NPC that player or NPC at there choosing can gain a bonus of +2 to any negotiate or tactics skill test they undertake. Prerequisite: Instruction or Tactics and/or Negotiate 6+ ea.
    Last edited by Eric R.; 05-28-2002 at 04:13 PM.

I really like this one. I don't like 'starship duty' as a prerequisite, though. I'd use a admin skill prereq of 2-3.
    Last edited by qerlin; 05-27-2002 at 11:35 AM.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I like your idea here... This kind of character can easily be chreated using the existing elite professions, but having one that is more specialized could never hurt.

Interesting professional abilities

The IDEA is all good but you'd do well to note that the Prerequisites should be: Starship Duty OR /.../ as with all the other Starship Officer Elite Professions.

Also, I don't understand why Strength should be important to this character. Wouldn't Agility fit better? After all, sometimes you have to do some "agressive negotiation", and Agility is the most important ability in combat situations... not Strength.

Another point is you spelling... I'm sorry to have to be this way, but it's a little innoying that you constantly misspel the word "their":
    As in "specialty of there choice"...

Otherwise... I think you could have a future in EP creation!
    nuqneH!
    tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh'a'?
    naDev tlhInganpu'tu'lu'a'?

Originally posted by Almos

Also, I don't understand why Strength should be important to this character. Wouldn't Agility fit better?
    Hey it's ground warfare officer training, if its like others of the type then these guys do push ups for a hobby. That tends to build strength.

Agility

Originally posted by Phantom

Hey it's ground warfare officer training, if its like others of the type then these guys do push ups for a hobby. That tends to build strength.

Still... Agility is more important in combat situations
    nuqneH!
    tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh'a'?

Re: Agility

Still... Agility is more important in combat situations
    Not arguing with the point. Just saying that most military training systems build strength more then agility. I don't know about anyone else who went through basic, but I ran into my fair share "clumsy" people.

Eeeenh! Wrong Almos: strength is very, very necessary in combat and in the times ahead of it. All those push-ups, sit-up, other exercises are done so that you can lift yourself with 40-75 lbs of gear over obstacles, dig foxholes, and all the other strength-intensive crap you have to do on the battlefield. It's not all martial arts and dodging frm tree to tree; there's a LOT of menial labor involved with getting ready for a fight.

The strength training aids in times of fatigue. If you are more than strong enough to do something fresh and ready, the reserves work for when you are fatigued...it's one of the reasons you do PT at 'oh-damn-i'm-up-thirty': you're still tired (and they can work you that much longer during the day...)

I kinda view this package as the 'officer' and the soldier package as the 'enlisted' for the game. And I agree here: Eric, fantastic job. In fact, one of the players here just built a charactr using your professional package.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

You have an interesting point of veiw there qerlin.

I agree with you that Strength is important for all of those atletic tasks (and the Athletic Skill actually is a Strength skill), but Agility should not be left out here...

Agility gives you a higher Defence, better ability to Dodge, higher chance to hit you opponent in combat, and so on...

Strength is important too ofcourse. It can give bonus to Stamina and Health, it governs the Athletic Skill, and gives you a higher Carrying Capacity...

But while you do need Strength for all of those tasks that you described, if you don't have a good enough Agility to Dodge incomming attacks, you're going to be vaporized in the first open conflict!

I think it's fairly safe to assume that, NO, I am not wrong in my assessment that Agility is more important than Strength in actual combat situations...

Any Soldier or soldier type character that doesn't have Agility as his highest ability score will be in serious trouble when peaple start firering their energy weapons!

Eric choose Intellect, Presence and Strength as the favored attributes of his SOEP, while Strength perhaps is a good choince, I think that Agility must have a place here.

I believe that all Professions give you one primary favored attribute and lets you choose a seconadry one from a list of between two and three suggestions.

I would say that for this Profession, Presence would be the best choice for primary favored attribute. Suggestions for secondary ones could be Strength, Agility, and Intellect.

How's that for a compromise?
    nuqneH!
    tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh'a'?

being ex-army.. I will have to agree that Str is better than agility for soldiers. a strong person can take more punishment than an agile person. when fire starts the agile will have the init, but the strong one will probably still be standing after the first round. a soldier had to carry everything required to keep himself alive in a hostile environment. and as far as a soldier is concerned, the only environments that are not hostile, are bars and the post. bars are not hostile untill after a few drinks.. then the world is a hostile environment..
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

If you can't agree on what is more important, strength or agility, then why not give people a choice?

For example add a prerequisite: Strength 8+ and Agility 6+ OR Strength 6+ and Agility 8+.
    That way you would make sure characters in this E-Prof have at least average strength and those that think strength is the attribute for ground forces officers will not be too clumsy.

Don't get hit!

I don't really care that much what is more important in RL, Strength of Agility! It's clear that the ability to hit or avoid being hit is your primary concearn in this GAME!

Even in hand to hand combat Agility is more important!

Can you dispute that fact that all combat oriented skills are Agility and Intellect based? (Except maybe for Athletics.)

It is true that a stronger person can take more punnishment, but in a game where the enemy can set their weapons to "kill", why does it matter how much Health you have?

The way to survive a battle is: "DO NOT GET HIT!"

Besides, each Profession gives you one ability that becomes your favored attribute. Then you choose a secondary favored attribute.

I think the best idea is to make Presence the primary favored attribute and suggest Strength, Agility, and Intellect as secondary favored attibutes.

That way if you think that Strength is more important, well you just choose that as your secondary favored attibute...

Simple!
    nuqneH!
    tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh'a'?

Re: Don't get hit!

Besides, each Profession gives you one ability that becomes your favored attribute. Then you choose a secondary favored attribute.
    As I understand the rules you get your 1st favored attribute from your profession and at the same time choose the 2nd favored attribute. As this is an Elite Profession there is no more choice about favored attributes involved. The entry "Attributes" in the description of the profession is just flavor text, describing what would be important to this Elite Profession, nothing more.

And while I agree that in game terms Agility is more important than strength, I disagree that this should be the main consideration in designing a profession, elite or not.
    Professions should IMHO be seen as a tool to describe a certain way of life which, for me at least, involves more real life considerations than metagame- and rules-thinking.
    OTOH how you translate these considerations into a set of rules, be it as a favored attribute, a class skill or a professional ability, would then require using and thinking in terms of rules.
    But as far as the design of a profession is concerned I would keep both steps separate from each other.

Changes made to Attribute section please reread.

To use agility or vitality would make the profession too much a copy of the Soldier class. My intention was and is to concentrate on the Intellect and Presence that professional soldiers bare.

Here is the first of five (hoepfully) development packages for a line Officer. In total I am looking at designing the following

Detached Line Officer, Operations
    Detached Line Officer, Security
    "Foot" Line Officer - basic Infantry Officer
    "mech" Line Officer - covers both Armor, Art, and M. Inf.
    Engineer - Civil or Military

Basic Line Officer, Operations (Detached)
    Most Line Officers are stuck in a perpetual limbo, awaiting assignment to a frontline unit or to advance training. Most are typically assigned to either Operations or Security duties aboard starships and starbases.

Skills: Athletics 2, Computer Use 2, Energy Weapon 2, Negotiate 2, Observe 2, Repair 2, Survival 2, Systems Engineering 2, Systems Operation 2, Tactics 2, Unarmed Combat 2

Pick 5: +1 to any Professional Skill

Pick 1 Edge: Blends in, Contacts, Likable, Multi-tasking, Skill Focus

Basic Line Officer, Security (Detached)
    The typical security assignment will find a line officer serving in some kind of SERT (Search & Emergency Response Team) designed to respond to inspecting suspect ships, Hostage rescue, and defending a ship from boarders.

Skills: Armed Combat 2, Computer Use 1, Energy Weapon 2, Inquire 2, Investigate 2, Knowledge, Law 1, Negotiate 2, Observe 2, Survival 1, Tactics (CQB) 2, Unarmed Combat 2

Pick 5: +1 to any Professional Skill

Pick 1 Edge: Alert, Bold, Commendation, Great Vitality, Lightning Reflexes

Lancer:
    You are correct in that Elite profession have no Favored Attributes as Basic Profession do, but this is a Starship Officer Elite Profession, so this is a special case...
    Look at the Attribute section under the Staship Officer profession and then look at the different Starship Officer Elite Professions and you'll see what I mean.

I also agree with you that real-life considerations are important and I'm not trying to promote metagame-thinking... By giving the profession Presence as the primary favored attribute, we can avoid this discussion completely!

The Professional Abilities indicate that this profession is leaning more on Intellect and Presence anyway, just as Eric said. So Strength and Agility should only appear as suggestions for secondary favored attribute.
    nuqneH!
    tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh'a'?