Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Main Characters

Main Characters

Just curious if anyone in the know knows if there will be any books that'll include pre-made stats some of the main characters we've grown to love over the years? I don't know about everyone else but I'm planning on having some of them make guest apparences throughout my series and just trying to decided if I should start making them up or not.

Kyle

I seem to recall someone (or several someones) mentioning that the major characters from all four shows will be in the Narrator's Guide. Give it a couple more weeks.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

And something to consider:

Do you actually need stats for them to appear in your game?

Unless you're planning on having them rescue or fight the P.C's you should be able to make do with their portrayals from the TV shows...
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

I remember some years ago, a game designer said that to give a "canon" NPC stats is to invite the PCs to challenge and probably kill them.

But the truth is that canon character stats are useful to serve as an example of what the PCs can aspire to...also its a good guide as to how to develop skills to fit the relevant position (okay Data may be an exception).

I'm not a big Star Trek novel person, but having read the Peter David "New Frontier" books I was wondering how much support of the novels will there be. I personally couldn't care less if there was no support for most of them but I'd like some of the New Frontier areas explored (maybe a NF sourcebook). My pilot episode featured members of the Haven colony crew being dropped off by the Excalibur and one of the group is a Brikar, so it'd be great to have some RPG resources for them.

Charlie E/N

Originally posted by el queso
    I'm not a big Star Trek novel person, but having read the Peter David "New Frontier" books I was wondering how much support of the novels will there be. I personally couldn't care less if there was no support for most of them but I'd like some of the New Frontier areas explored (maybe a NF sourcebook). My pilot episode featured members of the Haven colony crew being dropped off by the Excalibur and one of the group is a Brikar, so it'd be great to have some RPG resources for them.
    I'd be extremely surprised if there were any. Decipher's license extends to the TV shows and movies and that's it. Unfortunately, the novels (any of them) just aren't considered canon - so no official game support...

However, there's nothing stopping you working it out for yourself, and posting your results for the rest of us
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Tilarium: There are stats for 12 characters from the series in the Narrator's Guide (in alphabetical order: Janeway, Kim, Kira, Kirk, LaForge, McCoy, Picard, Quark, Sisko, Spock, Tuvok, and Worf). Stats for the characters repesent them at the end of their respective television series.

elqueso: Decipher has no plans to support the Novels or New Frontier in any way.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Gawd dammit!
    Don't they know I'm already busy creating things for game systems too unperceptive to know EXACTLY what I want!
    Well I'll probably end up having to do it myself. Guess I ought to read the other books first.
    I think someone posted the Hermat race and I posted a basic Brikar race that one of the group made. I guess between us we can do Xenexians, Thollonians, etc.
    I'll give a shout once I'm done, but I'm going to wait for the NG just in case there are any things to help with race-building.

Charlie E/N

Well it will be very interesting to get a look at these character's game stats. I am especially curious about the edges and professional abilities. After a first glance at the Players Guide (just got it a few hours ago) I am under the impression that these two options are very important if you want to be a 'true' professional in your field.

Originally posted by Doug Burke
    Tilarium: There are stats for 12 characters from the series in the Narrator's Guide (in alphabetical order: Janeway, Kim, Kira, Kirk, LaForge, McCoy, Picard, Quark, Sisko, Spock, Tuvok, and Worf). Stats for the characters repesent them at the end of their respective television series.
    Hmmm. Three each per show...is the version of Worf, then, the character at the end of TNG or the end of DS9?

I'm now looking forward, more than ever, to actual era-specific sourcebooks so that complete write-ups of all the characters can be included. I realize they were fighting for space here, but I don't think they're doing justice to any of the shows by not showing the breadth and depth of all the characters. But that's just me.

Hey Doug, thanks alot for the reply! I'll have to fine tune them all to represent them for 2367-68...including McCoy and Spock sense them and Scotty are the only ones from TOS still alive

See, now this is even more reason for me to want the NG....wonder if my supplier can try and get a copy on the 4th so I can get it before I leave.....

Kyle

Originally posted by PGoodman13
    Hmmm. Three each per show...is the version of Worf, then, the character at the end of TNG or the end of DS9?
    Worf's stats reflect the character as he stood as of the end of DS9.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

stupid question. will there be another manual that gives the rest of the main characters stats, in the list of coming manuals.

like a voyager title giving full info on the main personel on the ship. Enterprise, DS9, NG, and the Original, would also be cool. giving the stats at the end of the full series.
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

Have there ever been CODA versions of the Enterprise main characters? Maybe in Don's Enterprise netbook?

Don's book has stats for Archer, Tucker, and T'Pol. His book, if you're looking for it, can be found at my site (which is sorely neglected at the moment). One of these days, when I get a lot of free time, I'm going to get back around to working on my own Enterprise sourcebook, which will have all the main characters. Don't hold your breath for this, though.