Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Main Characters

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    Don's book has stats for Archer, Tucker, and T'Pol. His book, if you're looking for it, can be found at my site (which is sorely neglected at the moment). One of these days, when I get a lot of free time, I'm going to get back around to working on my own Enterprise sourcebook, which will have all the main characters. Don't hold your breath for this, though.
    Thank you! I shall see if I have Don's book on my external HD. It should be there, as I remember getting it back when Don announced his little present to the gaming comunity. If not I shall get it from your site, which I should check out more often anyway.

Looking forward to any take on the main cast, but take your time. I don't plan on going anywhere

Hope all is well with you and the family!

One more question regarding the existance of (official) stats of Main Characters of the shows:

Has no CODA book ever tackled Data?

Please don't come by with the typical argument, you wouldn't need his stats anyway. I am curious how the CODA ruleset would be able to reflect Data and if it has been done and I just can't find it right now or if there are no stats at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    Has no CODA book ever tackled Data?
    Well, assuming you're making him as a PC... he'd be constructed using the Mechanical Body trait from the NG; he'd probably have resistance to Radiation and Disease (not Invulnerability!). To model the specific vulnerabilities he has, you'd probably want to create unique template traits. Given the variation among the Soong-type androids we've seen (Lal vs. Lore, Data vs. Juliana Tainer) I don't know whether it'd be worthwhile to create a baseline template for all of them, like Artilects does. Whether you'd need to specify things like his battery life depends on how your group approaches things.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Intersting approach, TDK.

Another issues would be trying to model the almost-instant information intake and analysis–would he just have all Knowledge skills at +20, or Intellect at +20 and the ability to use all Knowledge skills untrained given access to a database of sufficient size? He can perceive microchanges in people's expressions, but predicting behaviour accurately based on them seems hard for him. His childlike lack of guile may indicate a severely negative Savvy modifier, but his instant recall and complex analysis might make lying to him about most things impossible. His Willpower seems high enough that he can override his own ethical programming (cf. "The Most Toys")–surely a TN 25 test at least.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Data is probably best left as an NPC with some undefined abilities. He would work best as a plot device, as in if the PCs are struggling to come up with a course of action or are not sure how to continue then Data could step in with a possible course of action. Not sure I would welcome a Data PC in a group.

Quote Originally Posted by CypherWest View Post
    Data is probably best left as an NPC with some undefined abilities. He would work best as a plot device, as in if the PCs are struggling to come up with a course of action or are not sure how to continue then Data could step in with a possible course of action. Not sure I would welcome a Data PC in a group.
    I didn't want to include a Data in a PC group. I was just thinking about how one could reflect Data's skills and make-up with the CODA rules. Even a somewhat downgraded Soong-Type android would be off-limits in my groups, unless maybe for one of the most experienced roleplayers I know and trust to be up to the challenge. But the issue never came up. My question was out of curiousity only.

Aside from that: Would it have been fitting to include some sort of 'Song Type Android' template or write-up in the ALIENS sourcebook?

I wouldn't necessarily desighn Datas abilities using the book. he would just do what I needed him to do but keep limits within what we have seen on the show. After all if Data could do everything then there wouldn't be a need for the other people on the ship. I feel he should be handled in game the same way.

I really don't think they needed to put such a template like that in Aliens. I have always constructed Androids more using the Creatures book. Even then I don't think there needs to be one. I think one of the great strengths of the systems is that it allows the Narrartor a pretty good amount of lattitude when designing Alien beings/creatures to help or challenge the crew.

my 2 cents

I think that Data, like many other characters and Treknologies, would have to be toned down in order to fit in the RPG.
    After all, the problem of putting Data's abilities in term of RPG stats arises for many other characters : I don't think there is any way in CODA to account for Troi being able to sense the emotions of an alien in another starship (that is, a few hundredth kilometers away at best), unless she has a ridiculously high PSI modifier. Likewise, I'm not sure Jadzia Dax's would be able to do as many things she said to know from a previous host in the CODA system (unless she has had a few dozen of them), nor would Seven be able to have that much functions for her Borg implants. Similarly, I don't think the Vulcan Trance Healing as described could allow Spock to recover from a gun injury in a matter of days (or was it hours).

So, unless you want to go the Q way and state that no roll is necessary for such characters, I guess devising stats for Data would mean first finding how to represent most of his abilities in a coherent way, and which ones to drop or tone down. A CODA Data would not be able to do anything that Data did on screen, just like a CODA Troi would not be able to tell that a character on a planet surface is lying while her being on orbit.

I'll try to see if I can expand a bit on that, but I'm a bit short of time these days.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Thumbs up 4 missing Original Series Bridge Crew characters' stats

With the new Star Trek movie coming out in May 2009, I wanted to share my take on the CODA stats for the 4 Original Series Bridge Crew characters which were left out of the Narrator's Guide by Decipher: Sulu, Scotty, Chekov and Uhura.

I posted their stats in the topic "TOS stats in CODA" in the Narrator's Ready Room Forum just now. I welcome all your input. Cheers!

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

PC Androids

Since 2004, I've had an Android as a central character in my campaign- Lt. Commander Omega (short for Prototype Unit Alpha-Omega-425)

A quick description: He's bald, and a sort of Bolian-blue (I use a photoshopped image of Michael Rosenbaum to represent Omega). He is a hybrid built from the remains of two Androids from Mudd's Planet (TOS) found in a crashed shuttle on an asteroid by an eccentric hermit scientist.

Later, he was somewhat rebuilt, and upgraded to include internal components based on the Soong Type design.

He serves as Operations Manager on the USS Legacy.

Originally, Omega was created in the FASA system. And I used the stats they gave for Data in their TNG Season 1 Sourcebook as a starting template. Omega came out very well- not at all an overpowering character (no moreso than Data is on the show), but playing Omega would give a Data fan the feel of actually stepping into Data's Starfleet-issue boots for a moment.

Last night I converted Omega to CODA (and mulled over the fact that his name- Omega -sounds like it should be a game system in it's own right). I used Artilects, and my own system for converting FASA to CODA. And I think his character sheet came out quite well.

It definitely added to the character to include flaws, and edges. And Omega was actually one of our characters I found it easiest to convert.

I wish Decipher had come out with a book (or books) with game stats for the TV show characters ! When you're converting characters that have been established over (sometimes) more than a decade of role playing, it would really help to see the kinda of skill levels, attributes, and etc. the canon characters have for a comparison.

Also... well... the idea of a Voyager game with the Voyager characters would really appeal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FASAGrrl View Post
    I wish Decipher had come out with a book (or books) with game stats for the TV show characters ! When you're converting characters that have been established over (sometimes) more than a decade of role playing, it would really help to see the kinda of skill levels, attributes, and etc. the canon characters have for a comparison.

Also... well... the idea of a Voyager game with the Voyager characters would really appeal to me.
    Well, they did convert over three of the characters from each series (at least from the first four series) in the Narrator's Guide, so it at least gives one a ballpark place to start (to compare one to Kirk, Picard, Worf, Janeway, etc.)
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).