Thread: Gamma Q. resistance

Gamma Q. resistance

There seems to me to be tons of story potential left in hashing out the Gamma Quadrant. For example, what if a resistance to the Dominion starts as subject races try to take advantage of the set-backs the founders face in the alpha quadrant?

In terms of how I'd like to structure the resistance I was thinking somehting along the lines of how Alan Dean Foster structures his Weave group in his "Damned" books. For those of you not aware of this series its about an alien group fighting a race called the Amplitur. The group, a loose coalition of races called the weave eventually gets the humans involved.

Its interesting not just becuase Foster really fleshes out his aliens in terms of psychology, etc but also gets some real shots in on how violent we are as a race too.

So the weave gave me ideas as did the first season episode Captive Pursuit with the Tosk and the Hunters. Somehow i can't see the Hunters being ones to roll over for the Dominion. But then, they might be subject peoples.

Any thoughts?

Monty

Well, the creators of the show were pretty certain that the Hunters were part of the dominion; that's were they got the Tosks from. They planned to show a Hunter on the bridge of a Jem'hadar ship sometime, but never got around to it.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Cool.

YOu got a source on that one? I'd love to verify it

I would imagine backstage infor like that would have to be from the DS9 companion, right? I realy need to get that book.

If the Hunters are part of the Dominion that means I can use a Tosk in the resistance. Most excellent

Monty

Imagine the Tosk and the Hunters working together? That would be cool no?

STAR TREK: the magazine
    issue 13, page 59

"Robert says the producers wanted to show a hunter on a dominion ship, but the right moment never presented itself."

"...we all pretty much believe the hunters from 'Captive Pursuit' were part of the Dominion..."
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Although I can't recall where is read it, I believe it is also said that the dominion made the tosks for the hunters, as part of the membership deal.

Yep. I too heard that the hunters were part of the Dominion, but that fact remains non-canon due to its absence on-screen.

Some evidence does suggest a link, the strongest of which was the same weapon prop used by the Hunters and Jem'Hadar, and the reptillian nature of all 3 species...

For more information check out my ICON write-ups at;

http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk/the_hunters.htm

and;
    http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk/tosk.htm
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

More ideas for the Gamma quadrant,

I was thinking it might be neat if the PCs run across an artifically created planet, a strange mix of planetary types with an unuasually diverse population of alien species. I wanted to drop hints that the planet was created by the Preservers (think TOS) as a sort of refuge but in actuality the whole planet is a wildlif3e preserve for the Hunters.

The PCs will have stumbled across whaqt amounts to the Hunter training planet, where the young Hunters go to "earn their stripes" and the old go for one more hunt before passing on.

I was thinking that the mixed group of aliens on planet could be the nucleus of my "weave" type resistance to the Dominion.

In terms of tipping off the PCs to the real nature of the planet I think the Hunters coming after them would be the obvious giveaway but I can think of other clues to drop beforehand.

anyway, just some more thoughts...

Monty