Thread: The Narrator's Guide is in Stores

Hmmmm Klingon's in Depends

Are the made from Studded leather?
    Tune your Minds to Black and White, and take a trip into the "PULP ERA"
    http://chapter-13.net

Originally posted by Ravenspoe
    Hmmmm Klingon's in Depends

Are the made from Studded leather?
    Ok, I think I'll leave that to your imagination. Or is that a bad idea?

-Darth Sarcastic
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

Talking

actually, knowing Klingons, they're prolly lined with tribble fur...
    I don't care if you're a scientist or the captain of a garbage scow assigned to Ruh'ra Pente- you don't wait until your shields are mostly gone to start shooting back. If your enemy has already started hurling subatomic death at you, descression has ceased to be the better part of valor!

Originally posted by Flamestrike
    actually, knowing Klingons, they're prolly lined with tribble fur...
    Do I dare ask if the old addage about rabbit fur holds true for tribble fur?

-Darth Sarcastic
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

Picked it up today. Given the quick skim through I did the NG looks good. So far the only problems I have is the use of "Ent." Andorians in species section (nit pick I know, but the way they did the Andorians is one reason why i don't like Ent,) and I would've liked some creatures in the creature section. Not just rules on making them.

I shall get back here when I have had time to look more closely.

Originally posted by Phantom
    So far the only problems I have is the use of "Ent." Andorians in species section (nit pick I know, but the way they did the Andorians is one reason why i don't like Ent,)
    What did you expect? That the game designers would ignore Enterprise to spare the feelings of the show's detractors?

Nitpick away, but I had to chuckle

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Originally posted by CrimsonHawk
    Book publishers are VERY STRICT about their release dates. I don't know all the factors (both legal and social) that goes into the decision, but once the release date is set, it is literally illegal to try to sell it before that date.
    My wife was a manager of a book store and she told me that there is a difference between "release date" and a "street date". In a nutshell she says release dates are just a guideline where street date is more "legal".

Not to mention depending on the publisher will dictate how anal they are about when products hit the shelves.

Edward Tunis
    www.region7.com

Re: Stores

Originally posted by Shoshuro
    I just ordered a copy off of Gamers Attic. Then again with the shipping time and everything now it won't get here until after the official date.
    But at least you'll get it. My local gaming store has been "burned" in the past with Trek RPGs so won't carry unless I special order it and since my "local" store is 40 miles near - I just ordered from Gamer's Attic too. :-)

Edward Tunis III
    www.region7.com

LI Convention - Star Trek LARP

Originally posted by Ravenspoe
    Greetings and Salutations

It's always great to run into another Long Islander online.
    I'm on the South shore nassau.
    Do you play the Star Trek RPG?

It took me 2 years to find gamers after I moved here from San Francisco, now I see them all over the place.
    Keep an eye out for the gaming convention called ICON out at Stony Brook, LI.

I help a friend of mine run some Star Trek LARPs (which spill over into Star Trek Paintball games!!!)

Edward Tunis III
    (from NJ but loves NYC)
    www.region7.com

Originally posted by Darth Sarcastic

32. Well everyone else was giving thier age....
    -Darth Sarcastic
    The group I game with is all mid 30's.

(33 in September here)

Edward C. Tunis III
    www.region7.com

Spelling

Originally posted by Karg
    Just because I'm an Engineer doesn't mean I Can Spell. That's what assistants are for.
    Isn't that why God created F7? (spellchecker for you non Mircosoft types)

Edward Tunis
    www.region7.com

Enterprise vs. Voyager

Originally posted by Capt Daniel Hunter

What did you expect? That the game designers would ignore Enterprise to spare the feelings of the show's detractors?

Maybe but at least it's better than ST: Voyager. (ugh - I can't belive that show was allowed to run as long as it did!!!)

as always..... your milage may vary

Edward Tunis III
    www.region7.com

Originally posted by Capt Daniel Hunter

Nitpick away, but I had to chuckle
    No. But they could have used the traditional Andorian from TOS or the guy in the Fed Council chambers (movie erea) and had the version with bait wriggling about on his head as one of the minor pictures instead of the major descriptive picture.

I couldn't care less if they put Ent stuff in the game, I 'll just ignore it. (shrugs) Both positive and negitives reactions were asked for.

Narrator's Guide in Dallas

I picked up a copy of the Narrator's Guide to day in Dallas at the Game Chest in Valley View Mall. Got there about 2:30PM just as they were putting it on the shelf. Skimmed it a bit and so far I'm impressed, plenty of good narrating ideas (of course). Ship combat is quite elegant as well.

Cheers,
    Chris Cafiero
    Christopher J. Cafiero, Esq.

Just got my copy yesterday - verry nice!

Will take a week or so to read it, but on first impressions:

Most of the episode/three act stuff from the old Narrator's Guides is there. There's also a chapter on seasons and arc construction - I am going to have real fun reading this lot.

I love the ship creation stuff, although I will have some queries for Don soon. I was able to put together a TOS-era Miranda in about half an hour...

A few nice ships are provided: all the primary Fed ships (Constitution and refit, Galaxy, Intredid and Defiant) along with the Oberth and a rather practical looking freighter, and the Romulan D'deridex, Klingon D7 & K't'inga, Cardassian Galor, and surprise, the Hirogen hunter. This list is begging to be expanded though - I guess we have to wait for the Starships book for the official versions... I'll probably start posting my versions of Miranda, Excelsior and B'rel by the end of next week.

The race stuff looks interesting: Andorians, Romulans and Orions all get full double page spreads, with as much info as the PC races. I have yet to delve into the race creation stuff, but the points-balancing system looks ok from initial scans.

Originally posted by Phantom
    No. But they could have used the traditional Andorian from TOS or the guy in the Fed Council chambers (movie erea) and had the version with bait wriggling about on his head as one of the minor pictures instead of the major descriptive picture.
    Heck, I preferred it this way around. The Ambassador would have looked scrappy at full size, whereas the Shras make-up is a little more comprehensive. An aesthetic consideration only

And who cares when we have Vena in all her emerald glory on the next page?

Two thumbs up!
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)