Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Narrator's Guide is in Stores

The Narrator's Guide is in Stores

The Trek Narrator's Guide just hit the shores of NYC. I wandered aimlessly (this is bad habbit of mine) into my local gaming shop (ok, not so local...I had to take 2 trains) and lo and behold (what the heck is a 'lo'?) there it was sitting on the shelf.

I've only glanced through its pages, but it looks pretty good. The Starship Construction chapter looks interesting, as well as the NPC section (incl. Kirk, etc...).

I must stop writting this so I can go and look fully at this book.

-Darth Sarcastic
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Ooh, that store and their distributor were being very, very naughty...

My LGS owner said that the NG is at the distributors, but they are not allowed to ship it in such a way that it arrives at the stores before 5 June.

Must....survive....five...more...days....
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Re: The Narrator's Guide is in Stores

Originally posted by Darth Sarcastic
    I wandered aimlessly (this is bad habbit of mine) into my local gaming shop (ok, not so local...I had to take 2 trains) and lo and behold (what the heck is a 'lo'?) there it was sitting on the shelf.
    So how much is a plane ticket to NY these days ?

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    Ooh, that store and their distributor were being very, very naughty...

My LGS owner said that the NG is at the distributors, but they are not allowed to ship it in such a way that it arrives at the stores before 5 June.

Must....survive....five...more...days....
    If it's at the distributors, maybe they should FREAKIN' DISTRIBUTE IT! Not like there's some big event pending that they have to wait for release.

Whew...better now.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Re: Re: The Narrator's Guide is in Stores

Originally posted by CorpBoy

So how much is a plane ticket to NY these days ?
    Do you really want to explain a Star Trek book (of any kind) to airport security? I think it was a goof-up on the part of my local gaiming store...when I mentioned the June 5th date...well I won't repeat the "colorful metaphore" they used... Although it did tell me what my LGS thought of Decipher...despite them carrying everything Decipher's ever made. Right now they're probably clearing the NG off the shelves until the 5th.

-Darth Sarcastic
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

Really, if it's at the distriputers already then just ship the darn book. I'm gonna call my supplier and see if he was lucky enough to get a goof shipment and if not if he can yell at them so he can get it a day early for me. I'd really like to have the book to read on the plane and I'm leaving to early in the morning to beable to get it before I go on the 5th.

Kyle

Wink

Really, if it's at the distriputers already then just ship the darn book.
    In a perfect world, it would work that way. But it don't.

Book publishers are VERY STRICT about their release dates. I don't know all the factors (both legal and social) that goes into the decision, but once the release date is set, it is literally illegal to try to sell it before that date.

I know of a comic book store here in K.C. that sold the D&D DMG a half-week before its official release date. The owner was unaware of the release date issue. Well, the competitor across the street contacted WOTC about it and WOTC tore the comic book store owner a new a**h**** for trying the jump the gun.

I used to work at a mall/chain bookstore. They take these release dates seriously. I remember getting my own a** reamed just for suggesting putting a book out since it was already in the back room.

It would be nice if a store owner could just sell a book because he has it in his stock room. But he gets in trouble for doing that, trust me.

So, please don't be angry with distributors and store owners for not selling stuff before their "release date." There's a good reason, even if we don't *like* that reason!

=====O
    Dale W. Robbins

The Decipher says the RD is approximatly the 5th...

From Merriam-Webster....
    1 : located close together <approximate leaves>
    2 : nearly correct or exact <an approximate solution>

I don't see the problem with them putting it out on the 4th sense Decicpher has it listed on their site the date is June 5th (approximate)

Maybe if Decipher would get off their duffs and put the book for sale on the website I can order one and have it shipped to the hotel :shrug:

Kyle...<insert annoyed witty comment here>

Originally posted by Tilarium
    The Decipher says the RD is approximatly the 5th...

From Merriam-Webster....
    1 : located close together <approximate leaves>
    2 : nearly correct or exact <an approximate solution>

I don't see the problem with them putting it out on the 4th sense Decicpher has it listed on their site the date is June 5th (approximate)

Maybe if Decipher would get off their duffs and put the book for sale on the website I can order one and have it shipped to the hotel :shrug:

Kyle...<insert annoyed witty comment here>
    As long as it is not before 12 midnight, sure they can sell it early. All they have to do is open in the middle of the night. Some Wal-Marts did it for the DVD/VHS release of Harry Potter. But, I doubt our LGS will go that extra mile.

My FLGS did open at midnight for the release of the DnD3E PH -- or I should say they stayed open, since that's when they close. There was quite the crowd, for that, but I'm thinking not for the ST:NG (sorry Dec Crew)

-- Daniel
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Stores

I just ordered a copy off of Gamers Attic. Then again with the shipping time and everything now it won't get here until after the official date.
    Anyone who still uses Frames for a website should be shot.
    Does your sig area really need to be bigger then your post?

So where in NY did you find it

I'm in Long island and Dying to get my hands on it. I'm hoping my FLGS can get it for me, where else can I look? I would really hate to have to go into th "Lizards of the Coast" store at my Mall.

thanks in advance

Re: So where in NY did you find it

Originally posted by Ravenspoe
    I'm in Long island and Dying to get my hands on it. I'm hoping my FLGS can get it for me, where else can I look? I would really hate to have to go into th "Lizards of the Coast" store at my Mall.

thanks in advance
    Got mine in mid-town Manhattan. Actually if you're in Long Island, you could just take LIRR (I realize its exspensive) to the city and the store is litterally 3-4 blocks away from the station. So come on down, dodge traffic, pay exorberant prices for greasy food you wouldn't give to your worst enemy and pick up your copy of the NG.

-Darth Sarcastic
    Darth Sarcastic

NYC it's my kind of town

NYC is always an adventure =) I'm originaly from the west coast and everytime I go into NYC i get clostrophobic (prolly spelled wrong). I deal with a Great store out in Suffolk county (since I'm in nassau it's still a hike) but they usual have some cool stuff thats not D20.

Whats the name of the store in NYC?

Re: NYC it's my kind of town

Originally posted by Ravenspoe
    NYC is always an adventure =) I'm originaly from the west coast and everytime I go into NYC i get clostrophobic (prolly spelled wrong). I deal with a Great store out in Suffolk county (since I'm in nassau it's still a hike) but they usual have some cool stuff thats not D20.

Whats the name of the store in NYC?
    The Complete Strategist...its on 33rd just off of 5th Avenue. Don't wury about speling...myne is verrry bad.

They have all the major brands and...OH CRAP...I sound like a commercial for them...AIIIIGGGHHH!! If you go there, my advice is to be like a duck mating...make your purchase and leave quickly. Well what were you expecting? I'm a techie/gamer...what do I know about duck sex?

-Darth Sarcastic

P.S. I officially appologize to all those offended by my duck sex comment. And for those of you who do know about duck sex...I don't want to know.
    Darth Sarcastic