Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Borg Sourcebook

Exclamation Borg Sourcebook

Well, I am pleased to report that I've completed the majority of the Borg sourcebook. It's jam-packed full of creamy wholesome goodness. Lots of cool little tidbits to make the Collective the heinous, unstoppable enemy that it was originally intended to be.

The bad news is this: I won't have it completely finished until after the first of the year (due to work and other projects).

I am also looking for a layout designer who is interested in making it "all good like that." I have some ideas, but I don't have the software to make it so.

Finally, I am looking for any more ideas for what should be included. Much like Steve Long's Spacedock, the Borg sourcebook will receive updates every now and again, but I want to get as much into the initial document as possible. Let me know via email or post it up here.

mactavish out.

We'll certainly apreciate your efforts ! That first Borg supplement was very well made.

------------------
    No matter where you go, there you are.

Can you give us a listing of the Chapters and subjects you cover, so we can see if you missed anything?

Thumbs up

Here's the layout as it now stands:

Intro.: A History of the Borg
    *A history of the Collective as presented to you upon your assimilation
    Chapter 1: Assimilation - Welcome to the Collective
    *The process of assimilation (3 stages)
    *Description of Borg drones (incl. point costs)
    Chapter 2: Separation Anxiety - Leaving the Collective
    *Cybernetic rejection and recovery
    *Playing formerly assimilated characters
    *Problems faced by former drones
    Chapter 3: Assuming the Role - Playing the Collective
    *Optional rules for running a Collective Episode
    *Optional rules for using the Collective in a Series
    Chapter 4: Methods of Resistance - Combating the Collective
    *Hacking the hive
    *Anti-Borg weapons, defenses, and other items
    *Success stories of repelling the Collective
    Chapter 5: Technology - Implements of Assimilation
    *Technologies used by the Borg
    *How the Borg acquire new technologies
    *Technological milestones
    Chapter 6: Starships - [No subtitle as yet]
    *Borg Cube
    *Borg Sphere
    *Borg Probe
    *Queen’s Ship
    Chapter 7: BorgSpace – Worlds of the Collective
    *Description of Borg-controlled space
    *Descriptions of several Borg-conquered worlds
    *Descriptions of a few promising targets
    *Descriptions of a few particularly resistant targets
    *Listing & description of numerous assimilated species
    Chapter 8: The Future of the Collective
    *Description of 29th century Borg Collective
    *Description of 29th century Borg drone
    *Suggestions for future extrapolation
    Chapter 9: Adventure - [Not yet written]

This is the sourcebook as it now stands. It's about 70% complete (not counting layout), but I am looking for someone (Hey, Dave Biggins, are you paying attention?!) to write an adventure for the last chapter. The concept is not terribly important (i.e. freed drones, playing the Collective, fighting the Borg, etc.), but I'm looking for something well-written. Submissions are encouraged; email 'em to me.

The mechanics make up about 25 pages thus far, but little of the background material has been included in this draft. Once completed I believe that the sourcebook will be between 45 and 60 pages, though this estimate may be very conservative.

If there is anything that you think should be included that I've missed, let me know.

mactavish out.

[This message has been edited by mactavish (edited 12-13-2000).]

Talking

Hi mactavish!
    I loved your preview version of the Borg book. It was very interesting. Take your time for the complete version. I think it will be outstanding.
    Best wishes

Kudos here on the Borg book you had posted. I liked it quite a bit. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Thumbs up

Looks like you have quite a bit of info here. Cant wait to see this

Karg

Ditto from me to Mactavish, I can't wait to see the finished product.

Red

------------------
    "Being afraid all of the time of forgetting somebody's name. Not...not knowing what to do with your hands...I mean, I am the guy who writes down things to remember to say when there's a party. And then when he finally gets there, he winds up alone in the corner trying to look comfortable examining a potted plant."
    -Lieutentant Reginald Barclay

So who are species 001?
    I think one of the queens was 300 odd or was it 150?

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Who was Species 1? That's explained in the introduction.

The Borg Collective was established 10,431.256 standard years ago in the region of space now designated Unimatrix 01. Designed as a central processing unit by Species 1, the Collective was initially established to foster communication between members of their civilization. The majority of the members of Species 1, formerly referred to by themselves using as a designation a word from their language simply meaning “the Race,” voluntarily submitted to inclusion in the Collective. The unprecedented amount of communication led to a variety of technological advances and eventually led them to develop and construct spacefaring vessels.

The Queen encountered on Voyager was from Species 115 (I believe), but she was not the first Queen, neither was she the only Queen.

Like a beehive, there is only one Queen at a time. When that one is terminated, another is assembled to take its place.

The Collective is not an entity unto itself; it is made up of all of the Borg and is merely personified in the Queen when necessary. In fact, a Queen is not always active; most of the time the Queen is merely a bunch of components waiting to be assembled for a specific purpose.

mactavish out.

[This message has been edited by mactavish (edited 12-14-2000).]

Yes but is a Queen only assembled in a specific spot (unimatrix 001) or does every borg facility (ships etc) have the capacity to assemble a queen and download borgqueen.exe (to coin a phrase)

------------------

I would imagine that the Collective could assemble a Queen wherever and whenever one was needed. The fact that we've seen the Queens that we know of appear at Unimatrix 01 is coincidental.

Come to think of it, the one from First Contact was on the Borg chronosphere. Where'd she come from?

My supplement sticks with the idea that the Borg Queen is merely a tool; she can appear anywhere at any time.

mactavish out.

I concur Sir.
    But can a (simple) drone handle the consciousness of the collective (if thats the correct term)
    Or are the Queens that automated like the one from FC? ie more Android in a human cadaver which is animated?

------------------

I'd guess that a Queen is the vessel of choice for the Collective, but I'd also say that it is just as capable of expressing itself through anyone connected to the hive (be careful when hacking into the Collective using a neural computer link!).

How's that for an episode:

Members of Section 31, using experimental implanted computer datalinks manage to hack into the Collective, only to be taken over by the hive mind itself! Imagine the havoc that would wreak.

Anyway, I would suggest that the Queen is the most appropriate "mouthpiece" for the will of the Collective, but, if necessary, any old donre will do. Just look at the original 7 of 9; she spoke to the Voyager crew on behalf of the Collective, didn't she? And she was certainly not a Borg Queen.

mactavish out.

Picard was chosen to speak for the Borg as Locutus if you recall, and he *certainly* wasn't a Borg Queen