Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Borg Sourcebook

I thought I'd post a bit more information for all of you Borg fans:
    ----------------------------------------
    Chapter 01
    Assimilation: Welcome to the Collective

“We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.”

There are few words that inspire such terror in intelligent species throughout the galaxy as these. This is the standard “greeting” given by the Collective before its drones begin the assimilation of those not already of the Borg.

As anyone familiar with the Collective can attest, assimilation by the Borg is unpleasant to say the least. Millions of tiny nanoprobes course through your body replacing your fluids, altering your body systems, and even restructuring your genetic code. The process transforms you into a bio-mechanical part of the Collective. Small cybernetic enhancements produced by the nanoprobes erupt from your flesh. Later, once in a Borg assimilation chamber, drones attach additional cybernetic devices suited to your new function and bring you up to your full cybernetic-organic potential.

Assimilation occurs in three distinct and separate stages. Listed here are the changes that an individual goes through, from infection to completion, in case you want to assimilate existing Player Characters or NPCs.

[[Begin boxed text]]
    Initial Assimilation Procedure (Stage I): This stage occurs when the individual is injected with the assimilation nanoprobes. Once infected, an individual is able to maintain his individuality for a number of rounds equal to his Fitness score (plus or minus any Vitality Edges); once that time has expired his identity is completely subsumed and suppressed by the Collective.
    [[End boxed text]]

Attribute Changes:
    ·Add 2 to Fitness. Strength +1. Vitality +1.
    ·Intellect changes to 3 regardless of previous score. Logic +1.
    ·Presence reduced to 1 regardless of previous score. Empathy -2.
    ·Any psionic ability is lost (reduce to Psi 0), subsumed by the Collective.

Borg Collective Advantages and Disadvantages:
    ·Ageless (+3)
    ·Borg Adaptability (+8)
    ·Computer Interface (+3)
    ·Cyborg (+2)
    ·Eidetic Memory (+3)
    ·Excellent Metabolism (+4)
    ·High Pain Threshold (+2)
    ·Hive Mind (+10)
    ·Mathematical Ability (+3)
    ·Multitasking (+2)
    ·Rapid Healing (Borg medical nanoprobes) (+3)
    ·Sense of Direction (+1)
    ·Synergy (other Borg only) (+3)

·Toughness (+2)
    ·Arrogant (-1)
    ·Collective Will (-2)
    ·Fanatic (Borg goals) (-3)
    ·Emotionless (-3)
    ·Intolerant (all non-Borg life) (-3)
    ·Obsessive Tendencies (Bog goals) (-3)
    ·Species Enemy (all non-Borg life) (-5)

Total Points: +30 (approximately)

The following Advantages and Disadvantages are lost by individuals assimilated by the Borg:

Ally, Athletic Ability, Bold, Contact, Curious, Engineering Aptitude, Favor Owed, Innovative, Patron, Promotion, Resolute, Sexy, Shrewd, Species Friend, Telepathic Resistance, Argumentative, Bloodlust, Chronic Pain, Code of Honor, Greedy, Hypochondria, Impulsive, Intolerant, Low Pain Threshold, Medical Problem, Obligation, Pacifism, Phobia, Poor Chemoreception, Poor Hearing, Poor Sight, Promotion, Slow Healing, Vengeful, Weakness, Zero-G Intolerance

Furthermore any Courage Points, political or religious ranks, and ranks in Starfleet or other military or paramilitary organizations are lost as well.

Physical impairments are usually rectified, though the assimilation process introduces many, many new ones.

Drones use any necessary skills or specializations available through the Collective at 3 (4) and transmit Borg machine language at skill 4.

All new Borg receive cranial implants that function both as subspace communicators and computer implants. It is this implant that receives subspace communication from the Collective, and that is the actual substance of the assimilation process. Further, Borg medical nanoprobes rewrite DNA and alter body chemistry, reinforcing muscle, bone, and sinew with synthetic compounds for extra strength and resistance.

[[Begin boxed text]]
    Secondary Assimilation Procedure (Stage II): Once a Borg drone has received its initial connection to the hive mind, it is directed to a Borg primary assimilation chamber aboard a cube or other vessel as soon as is feasible. Once in the assimilation chamber, larger and more complex cybernetic implants are installed by other drones.

·All drones receive full body armor plating which provides a Resistance of 5 against physical and energy attacks. If a drone is not completely deactivated by an attack, its armor regenerates at a rate of 1 Resistance point per round.

·Borg drones also possess self-activating force screens as a defense against projectile and energy weapon attacks. Activated against as specific attack mode after the Collective adapts, the force screen is capable of dissipating up to 400 points of damage per round. The mechanic regarding Borg adaptation is explained further hereafter.
    [[End boxed text]]

It is after the secondary assimilation procedure that the drone receives the adaptation abilities for which the Borg are known and feared. This Advantage can only be possessed by active members of the Collective; once a drone is separated from the hive mind, this ability is lost.

[[Begin sidebar]]
    Borg Adaptability (+8): Possessed by all Borg drones (except those disconnected from the hive mind) have the exceptional benefit of adapting to nearly any situation faced by any other member of the Collective. Whenever an individual drone faces a hostile situation, make an Intellect + Logic roll (typically 4 dice) against a Difficulty of 8.
    If successful, that drone and all other drones currently linked to the hive mind become completely immune to that hazard. This could represent a specific mode of attack (ranged projectile or energy weapons only; not physical melee attacks), an environmental danger, or whatever.
    If the roll fails, then the next time any drone is faced with the same threat, the Difficulty of the roll is reduced by one point. Eventually the Borg will adapt to almost anything.

Attacks and hazards that would affect or damage a starship (i.e. photon torpedoes, a star’s corona, etc.) cannot be adapted to by a drone.

Note that an attack specifically designed to work against the drones of the Collective (i.e. modulating frequency high-energy phasers, custom designed cybernetic viruses, attacks from aliens such as Species 8472, etc.) is a different situation altogether. The Difficulties for such rolls should remain at least in the Very Difficult to Nearly Impossible range.

Routine situations, such as working in the vacuum of space or temperature extremes, are automatic adaptations.
    [[End sidebar]]

Each drone also receives additional implants, depending on its new function. The three primary types of drones are communication drones, navigation drones, and defense (tactical) drones. Each type has its own function and its own specific alterations, listed hereafter.

Communications: These drones receive optical and auditory implants providing Enhanced Hearing and Enhanced Vision. Further, they function as interlinks, or “boosters” of the Collective’s subspace signals; all drones within range of a communications drone receive an additional die to any Intellect-based action in any given round; this is not cumulative for multiple Communications drones.. Biomedical drones also fall under the heading of Communications; they are fitted with a Technology Link (Medical Tricorder/Dermal Regenerator) (+2) rather than the advanced optical and auditory implants.

Both Communications and Biomedical drones also possess the Physical Impairment (Missing Limb) (-2) Disadvantage as one of their limbs is replaced with a technological device.

In addition to the cost of the “Borg package” presented above, Communications drones cost an additional 2 points to play. Biomedical drones cost no additional supplementary points (rather than the normal 2 for standard Communications drones).

Navigation: Navigational drones are those primarily designated to vessel logistics and movement. They are responsible for directing the movement of all Borg ships; they also act as engineers, repairing ship systems when necessary. Navigational drones provide an additional die to all rolls related to ship operations and repairs.

Navigational drones receive no special enhance-ments beyond those of a standard drone.

Defense (Tactical): The bulk of Borg drones are for defensive action and assimilation. They are responsible for defense of the Collective and its holdings (i.e. ships, bases, planets, etc.) as well as the acquisition of new drones. Defense drones receive an additional die to all personal com-bat-related actions. Defense drones all possess the Technology Link (Disruptor) (+4) Advantage and possibly other integrated melee weapon implements, such as spinning blades. They also have the Physical Impairment (Missing Limb) (-2) Disadvantage.

Defense drones cost an additional 2 points beyond the cost of the “Borg package” presented above.

[[Begin boxed text]]
    Tertiary (Final) Assimilation Procedure (Stage III): Once a drone has finally been rebuilt according to its new purpose, it is assigned a regeneration alcove. At this point the drone proceeds to its alcove to regenerate and to receive its new programming. While the implants created by the nanoprobes connect the drone to the hive mind, it is in its alcove that the drone receives enormous informational downloads and new programming routines, including the history of the Borg Collective and its new designation.

Once a drone regenerates in its alcove, it is essentially impossible to save it from the Collective, though there are cases when this has happened. The drone is now merely a miniscule cog in the massive engine of destruction that is the Borg Collective.
    [[End boxed text]]
    ----------------------------------------
    Let me know what you all think. What's good? What's missing? What should be changed? What should be removed?

mactavish out.

Since this seems the most logical thread for a Borg discussion I wonder what others might make of these possibilities:

1) Since 7 of 9 was technically linked to the hive mind right up to the moment her transmitter (or whatever) blew, would it not be possible for her to transmit her experience to the hive mind? This being so, future generations of Borg might have some type of "surge protector" installed (at least in my game )

2) We have also seen that Borg can appear to be human (can't remember the name of the episode in which Chakotay encountered the Borg that had supposedly been severed from the hive mind) and that cloning is possible in the TNG world ("Up the Long Ladder"), so how about a more insidious form of Borg that I'm considering inflicting upon my players, i.e. one that appears to be human, but has actually been formed by the Borg, but with the majority of the implants on the inside, with two small holes in the fingertips for the assimilation tubules to extend.

Together with the cloning technology, and a few cells from a subject, the Borg might be able to insert replicas of various crew members, so you might land up with "Why is Crewman Jones from engineering acting so strange?"

I realise some of these suggestions might be a little on the edge, but I've tried to back them up with things I've seen in the episodes!

I'd like to hear what anyone thinks!

Livonia, Michigan, US; Holder of the Steve Long Pink Elephant for SRM Volume 2: The Cardassian Empire Testreading

Originally posted by Stuart Guest:
    Since this seems the most logical thread for a Borg discussion I wonder what others might make of these possibilities:

1) Since 7 of 9 was technically linked to the hive mind right up to the moment her transmitter (or whatever) blew, would it not be possible for her to transmit her experience to the hive mind? This being so, future generations of Borg might have some type of "surge protector" installed (at least in my game )
    But how could she have transmitted them if it blew? Up until then, she didn't know what would happen.

2) We have also seen that Borg can appear to be human (can't remember the name of the episode in which Chakotay encountered the Borg that had supposedly been severed from the hive mind)
    Forget the name as well, but they were separated from the hive mind. They tried to make their own, but the primary Collective was distant.

and that cloning is possible in the TNG world ("Up the Long Ladder"), so how about a more insidious form of Borg that I'm considering inflicting upon my players, i.e. one that appears to be human, but has actually been formed by the Borg, but with the majority of the implants on the inside, with two small holes in the fingertips for the assimilation tubules to extend.

Together with the cloning technology, and a few cells from a subject, the Borg might be able to insert replicas of various crew members, so you might land up with "Why is Crewman Jones from engineering acting so strange?"

I realise some of these suggestions might be a little on the edge, but I've tried to back them up with things I've seen in the episodes!

------------------
    It's is our last, best hope for peace? We are so screwed.

2) We have also seen that Borg can appear to be human (can't remember the name of the episode in which Chakotay encountered the Borg that had supposedly been severed from the hive mind) and that cloning is possible in the TNG world ("Up the Long Ladder"), so how about a more insidious form of Borg that I'm considering inflicting upon my players, i.e. one that appears to be human, but has actually been formed by the Borg, but with the majority of the implants on the inside, with two small holes in the fingertips for the assimilation tubules to extend.

<Snip>

Its not totally unfeasable, hell we saw the Borg queen alter established tactics for use against Earth in Dark frontier, seeing as how the full assault and time travel assimilations failed...

And without spoiling the plan for those that havn't seen it, the deal was far mor insidious...

However the question you should ask yourself is; Why?

Why would the Borg place a 'covert' assimilation into action. We know that they have assimilated Klingon and Romulans, and that the collective absorbs technology...

Yet they still dont use cloaking devices.

This shows that Covert techniques are not really the Borgs forté, and their collective viewpoint would give even a perfect exterior a few seconds before anyone picked up that it was a borg Drone...

Only a Queen would really be able to infiltrate successfully.

But then you have to consider the alternative.

The Borg are a cyborg species, a mergance of the organic and mechanic, this philosophy extends from the core of their being to the surface. This they believe makes them superior to all other species.
    So if the Borg were feeling the requirement to look and behave as a 'lesser' species, even one that keeps winning...

This doesn't strike me as very appropriate, but does strike me as a deafeatable plan, so if you want the Voyager type Borg, it could work quite well for a scenario where your crew get to defeat the borg...

But be prepared to answer many questions. When you put a 'spy' in the group, theres always a chance they might capture it.

Just remember; when was the last time you saw a roleplayer act as the plot required it?

Now you wanna scare them, give them a TNG style borg cube decloaking ahead of their ship!

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts froma random mind!"

Originally posted by mactavish:
    Once a drone regenerates in its alcove, it is essentially impossible to save it from the Collective, though there are cases when this has happened. The drone is now merely a miniscule cog in the massive engine of destruction that is the Borg Collective.:
    Is this the Borg version, or reality? It seems to me thst Starfleet has bee remarkably successful in de-assimilating Borg drones.

My question is this: what happened to all the drones Picard & Co put to sleep? Surely they weren't all simply destroyed... there should be thousands of former drones in the Federation, in various states of recovery.

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

We have also seen that Borg can appear to be human (can't remember the name of the episode in which Chakotay encountered the Borg that had supposedly been severed from the hive mind) and that cloning is possible in the TNG world ("Up the Long Ladder"), so how about a more insidious form of Borg that I'm considering inflicting upon my players, i.e. one that appears to be human, but has actually been formed by the Borg, but with the majority of the implants on the inside, with two small holes in the fingertips for the assimilation tubules to extend.
    "Pay attention. The old drones had visible implants. We spotted them easy. But these are new. They look human. Sweat, bad breath, everything. Very hard to spot. I had to wait 'til he moved on you before I could zero him." - Lieutenant Commander Kyle Reese, Starfleet Security

Can you say "Star Trek: Terminator"?

Not saying it's a bad idea, it just brought Terminator forcibly to mind when you brought up the idea...

------------------
    Doug Burke

McCoy: "You're taking me to the promised land?"
    Kirk: "That's what you get for missing staff meetings, Doctor."

I think you'll find all the borg that picard put to sleep went BOOM! along with their ship.

Aswell the feds have shown a suprising ability to unassimilate former drones, heck even picard was easy with 2367 med tech!

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Did the first Cube go "Boom"?? I don't remember that... It seems to me thatthey just said they were asleep, and never mentioned what happened after that.

Even if the Cube did self-destruct, there must have been some drones left alive in the wreckage... they can operate in vaccum without support.

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Lightbulb

Originally posted by SIR SIG:
    As well the feds have shown a suprising ability to unassimilate former drones, heck even picard was easy with 2367 med tech!
    Yes, but Picard could only be de-assimilated after he was removed from the Collective...as long as the Collective's subspace communications were functioning, and Picard was linked to the Collective, he could not be de-assimilated...

Did the first Cube go "Boom"?? I don't remember that... It seems to me thatthey just said they were asleep, and never mentioned what happened after that.
    Yes, it did. It can be clearly seen exploding in a magnificent display of miniatures pyrotechnics and flying plastic bits... Right near the end of the episode (if you stop looking at the E-E as it streaks away, you'll see it...).

IIRC, the forced "sleep mode" (c/- Data) caused a power-feedback loop to occur on board the cube, resulting in the destruction of the cube.

------------------
    Why do banks charge you an "insufficient funds" fee on money they already know you don't have?

[This message has been edited by Paul (edited 12-19-2000).]

True true, you couldn't touch picard until he was severed from the collective.

Hey Paul I thought you'd be in the 1000's by now. Im trying for 600 by the end of the year, 100 each month. (what can i say but too much free time!)

------------------

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Originally posted by SIR SIG:
    Hey Paul I thought you'd be in the 1000's by now. Im trying for 600 by the end of the year, 100 each month. (what can i say but too much free time!)
    Yeah, slowed down a bit...some of the current threads don't spark my need to contribute...

------------------
    Why do banks charge you an "insufficient funds" fee on money they already know you don't have?

Yeh it might be nasty to say that my yeh Q&A especially has been slow!

------------------

I originally had the image of a vampire and his victims in mind when I did my form of converted Borg -- the vampire tends to think of himself as superior to his human prey, but doesn't walk around with a big glowing neon sign saying "I am a vampire!"

As for the surge which blew out 7 of 9's transmitter, it seemed to last several seconds before the thing actually blew -- I figured that she could have made some form of transmission during that time...

I'll easily hit 200 by years end, and 0nly hit 30 about 3 months ago, and notice next to this message when I registered, and when I was Surak I'm sure it was less than 30. You know, on some boards, this sort of message is a no-no...

Well, before Owen or Dan mention it, this thread seems to have gone slightly off-topic, BUT...

mactavish, do you have an answer to the question of why we've seen so incredibly few female drones (I can only think of two: Seven of Nine and Mezoti)?

This question has been bothering me for a while...

[This message has been edited by Gaunt_Man (edited 12-20-2000).]