Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Borg Sourcebook

Originally posted by Cmdr Powers:
    Out of all the ideas that I've seen concerning the Borg, the above is perhaps the most ... autre, bizarre, strange ... you get my drift. It's almost certainly not the way the Borg operate- but it would make for a heck of an interesting hook for an adventure. Perhaps this idea could be used for another- heretofore unknown race?

Thank you... as a GM/ Narrator/ Referee I have developed a reputation for smacking my players out into left field with the unexpected.

Let me say to Mactavish and the rest that Mac is the man, and I'll probably use his Borg stuff more-or-less the way it is in my series (gotta throw off the players who have already downloaded and memorized it)

I'm just pointing out one slightly more "interesting" way the Borg could do business... remembering that:

1. The Borg are amoral. FGor them, it's a bpure cost-benefit analysis

2. The show is limited in what it can get away with, but our (my) games are somewhat less limited.

Wait until my Crew runs into "Aliens"... except that instead of sticking them in that slime to wait for the eggs to gestate, they harvest the victim's blood like "royal jelly"

Muuaaahhhahahha! )

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

Originally posted by Cochrane:

And what's this talk of "forced" assimilation? Is there any other kind?
    I used that to differentiate between races which willingly joined the collective (according to Mac's work, there were some) and those who didn't... also for an infant born of a drone, essentially "born" a Borg.

As for maturation chambers:

1. Seven never said that these chambers speeded her maturation... only that she was kept in one. Also, she never said what the Borg consider "mature"... why would they pick 18?

2. Picard saw an infant with implants in it's head and torso. The head doesn't grow as much, but the torso of a human changes considerably. Those implants would need adjustment or replacement frequently... moreso if the infant was maturing at a faster-than-normal rate (kinda like buying a kid clothes... they grow out of them during the trip home from the store)

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

It has been noted on multiple occasions that the Borg do not reproduce in this fashion. Seven of Nine has said as much in at least one episode. Rather the Borg assimilate; it is through this process of "forced assimilation" that the Collective grows in size.

The neo-natal drones are not force-grown. They are placed in maturation chambers until they are approximately 18 standard years in age.

The one notable exception to these rules was seen in the ST:Voyager episode "One" where the accidental convergence of technologies led to the artificial creation of a technologically advanced drone.

This drone was created using human DNA as a template and then speed-grown using previously non-existent technology based on schematics developed using the assimilated technology of the EMH's mobile emitter from the 29th century.

These technologies are unavailable to the Collective. They do not procreate sexually; they do not lay eggs; they do not implant embryos in hosts. They assimilate using advanced nanotechnologies and surgical procedures.

Why do the Borg assimilate new drones rather than reproduce in a seuxal manner? It's faster, less time consuming, and most of all it's scary.

Is this canon material? Mainly. Is it all absolutely 100% certified Star Trek information? No. Take it for what it's worth.

mactavish out.

Thumbs up

I am truly waiting for this thing, but please dont rush it, make it well done.

No, you're not losing your mind. I am not completing the Borg sourcebook at this time. It's not really a big deal; there will eventually be a Borg sourcebook, but not in the timeframe that had been originally posted.

Please bear with me... I'll put little tidbits up here to tide you over every now and again, but the whole thing is going in a whole new direction. I guarantee you'll be pleased with the end result.

mactavish out.

mactavish, did I read on another thread that you had no plans to finish the Borg book, or am I losing my mind?

------------------
    Anomaly

Anomaly TrekMUX: http://anomaly.mybis.com

Wink

Originally posted by calguard66:
    Thank you... as a GM/ Narrator/ Referee I have developed a reputation for smacking my players out into left field with the unexpected.

Wait until my Crew runs into "Aliens"... except that instead of sticking them in that slime to wait for the eggs to gestate, they harvest the victim's blood like "royal jelly"

Muuaaahhhahahha! )

In our old Star Patrol game (long before the Borg even appeared in STNG) we had a campaign where the crew of the Valkyrie (Star Patrol frigate) encountered a planet taken over by the Drame. I created the Drame to be a space-going race that existed to steal other race's DNA. They would approach a new species and kidnap a few (thousand) and analyze their chromosomes for promising traits and then incorporate those traits into their own genome. As you might imagine, this made the Drame a rather bizarre appearing people. I had them creating specialized Drame for every job- sort of like a hive.

On the human colony the Valkyrie encountered, they had set up breeding chambers much like you suggested for the Borg and the crew had a hell of a time fighting their specialized warrior types. Eventually it came down to "nuke them from orbit- it's the only way to be sure!" But there are still plenty of Drame colonizer ships out there...

------------------
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

Originally posted by mactavish:
    The one notable exception to these rules was seen in the ST:Voyager episode "One" where the accidental convergence of technologies led to the artificial creation of a technologically advanced drone.
    Nitpicking:
    The 29th-century drone "One" was created in the episode Drone (2nd episode of the 5th season), the episode One (late season 4) is the one ( ) where Janeway puts the entire crew, except Seven, to sleep in order to cross a large nebula.

Mac, You're right

Acording to my online Encyclopedia,

She was born in 2348, Assimilated in 2356 at the age of 6 (I think they made a typo with the dates) and joined Voyager in 2374 which would make 7 24 yrs old (Or 26 depending on which figure you belive) at that time. Also a maturation chamber is described as giving nutrition to a drone untill it is nolonger dependant on the chamber.

However, she did utter that line i stated before in the episode.

You make the choice

Karg.

I guess they do spend their youth in a chamber then!

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

I don't buy the idea of "Borg Babies". Sorry. Even though we saw it on-screen, and it is therefore canon, I thought they idea was corny and I plain don't like it - that particular concept will not appear in my game.

For me, the Borg are truly menacing because their population expands through and because of assimilation - that's it. I will not give in to the idea of Borg Babies. Borg Maturation Chambers may be used - if my characters manage to get that far inside a Borg cube...

------------------
    Why do banks charge you an "insufficient funds" fee on money they already know you don't have?

Originally posted by Anomaly:
    Less messy, too!
    And, less fun. *weg*

~LL

------------------
    "Resistance is futile...say baby that is a nice tight skirt you have on." --President Clinton of Borg.

Those "Drame" mentioned by Cmdr.Powers sound a lot like the Vohrsoth from the Elite Force computer game. They captured and analyzed species from all over the galaxy and combined their DNA to produce the ultimate force for conquering the galaxy. Naturally, Voyager was able to stop them (despite the Borg labelling them as "totally resistant to assimilation" - go figure). What would happen if the Borg ever adapt the nanoprobe weapons used versus Species 8472 to actually assimilate them? The Borg with cybernetic and organic technology on that scale?! I wouldn't us a whelk's chance in a supernova!

------------------
    "Captain? Is something wrong?"

"I just had the most terrible news. I have to attend the Annual Admirals' Dinner.
    I've faced Borg, Romulans and battle-crazed Jem'Hadar, but nothing compares to this."

Captain Matt Hunter, USS Tempest

where can i get the first pasrt of your borg book?

Livonia, Michigan, US; Holder of the Steve Long Pink Elephant for SRM Volume 2: The Cardassian Empire Testreading

About Elite Force... they weren't labeled completely resistant to assimilation... just a heck of a lot harder than your average Federation starship. But that would be a very scary thought... the Borg with that much power... whoa...

------------------
    It's is our last, best hope for peace? We are so screwed.