Thread: Love / Hate Dilema

Love / Hate Dilema

I have a big problem. I'm really psyched to run a Star Trek campaign, but I'm having a love/hate relationship with the new Decipher CODA RPG.

I love the Narrator's Guide. I hate the Player's Guide and so do my players.

I wondering if I should tough it out and just use DecTrek 'cause it's out and will probably be more work to convert things - or - should I stick to LUG or FASA and just spend my time converting stuff.

The question is really if you were in my position what would you do?

AndorMan
    Last Son of Andor

By the way - I really do love the Narrator's Guide. From the graphics to the layout to the ideas and rules - very well done.

If I were in your position I'd stick to the game I like and I know my players like - or in your case LUG or maybe FASA.

The single most important thing in running a game (IMO) is to do things the way you feel most comfortable with. Do it any other way and you will only maneuver yourself into a corner were you'd rather not be, discovering that you are stuck with a game you (and/or your players) don't thoroughly enjoy.
    From what you write my guess would be that the decision best suited to yourself and your group would be to just take the ideas you like from the Coda NG and adapt them to a Fasa or LUG game.

And if you have big troubles deciding what you want, try this (it does the trick for me sometimes):
    Try not to think about it for a while! Take a long walk, see a movie, have a chat with people who are absolutely not into RPGs, whatever it takes. Get a good nights sleep and on the next morning take a spontaneous decision on what to play - sometimes thinking too much about what's on your mind can distract too much from what's on your heart.
    And the later is often the best judge on what's good for you and what isn't.

What Lancer said...

I actually prefered the LUG system, but the players in general love the new system, so I switched over. I, however, do like the PG -- really easy to make a character using it after the first time or two.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Cool

Lancer's right. Talk it over with your players and go with what you're all comfortable with. The DEC and LUG stuff are up to date timeline-wise, so its not like re-writting history. It shouldn't be too hard to "backwards engineer" DEC stuff to LUG or FASA even.

-Darth Sarcastic
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

Smile Thanks guys...

This is why I like this board more then many others...Good honest advice from people who've been there

That said, I'm still not certain which it will be, but it looks like I'm leaning toward ICON with some CODA inspired modifications. If my "ICODA" system works I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks again,

AndorMan
    The Andorian will be with you...always.

I first want to say the DecTrek has surpassed all my expectations. But I do have to agree with what has been said here. The NG is definitly put together in a much better way then the PG. Now, the problem (as I see it) arises frome the fact that I reference the PG in a game much more then the NG. I read the NG get all the info I need and then it pretty much doesn't get used from that point.

From what I have seen so far you guys score really high with the NG, but median with the PG. If it had to be so (not impling anything) it should have been reversed.

This not, by any means, saying the work isn't good...I have say next to LUG and Ars Magica, this could be top of my favourite list. Should be interesting to see what you guys did with LotRs.