Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decipher Trek not doing so well?

I'm not sure Wizards of the Coast stores are the best place to look for the Star Trek RPG anyway, given the history of how Decipher got the license and the fact that Wizards got the Star Trek license after Lucas yanked it from Decipher.

Allen

The WoTC store (relatively) near me had a couple of copies of each book last weekend. I don't know if the small number is because they don't order many, or because it's selling out quickly. But they do have it.

At least one person connected with Wizards at the time, Ryan Dancey, felt betrayed by Paramount, to the point where he said, in a public forum, that he would never do business with Paramount until the people responsible for that deal had moved on. But he didn't provide any details. Me, I figure it's just good ol' competition. But if Ryan echoes general sentiment at WoTC, that might explain low orders. Although, IMO, it would be stupid for the retail arm to take a cue like that from the R&D arm.

Originally posted by Fesarius
    that he would never do business with Paramount until the people responsible for that deal had moved on.
    And I'm sure that really upset Paramount. Looks good on them, especially when WotC doesn't seem too interested in what fans say.

Arrow

Paramount is stupid, simple as that.

Proof? They've retained Berman & Braga, extending their contract for the Trek franchise.

I just hope no company would use the same underhanded tactics that Decipher did and stole Trek license from Decipher. Granted, the current license will last until 2005 but I hope it will not end at 2005.

My suggestion to Decipher RPG Studio: start developing something original and build up that brand. You cannot rely on product licensing.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

"Paramount is stupid, simple as that.

Proof? They've retained Berman & Braga, extending their contract for the Trek franchise."

Wrong. Paramount is smart for keeping B&B. As much as most might detest them for Voyager or Enterprise, they make the studio money. In freakin' wheelbarrows. And that's what they are in business for, not to satisfy a bunch of series-besotted fanboys. They've helmed the most successful Trek show, thus far, ratings-wise: Voyager. I don't pretend to understand it; I thought the show was dreck...but people liked it. That makes B&B -- no mater what the fans think -- a couple of bid-nez heroes.

Decipher needs to milk this hard. That means marketing better, pushing product to the stores their card biz goes to. Make the product make money & they'll keep the franchise.

COmparing WOTC to Decipher sales-wise is also unfair. Wizards has got massive market share and name recognition due to D&D and they've got a more popular franchise in Star Wars -- which is less 'geeky' than Star Trek. Of course it sells better -- the game's backed by the Wizards name, wider distribution, a better selling, more cool name brand (Star Wars).

But I agree, the boys at Decipher need to retain their hunger. Go get the business.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I like all of Decipher's R&D guys. And Doug does a great job answering the web questions.

However, who ever the people or person is/are that is in charge of the marketing of Dec RPG products should have been given their pink slip, like months ago! They are doing didly squat to promte the products. I am guessing CODA sales are only doing good cause a solid fan base for the lisc. products.

ST aside for a minute, they should be "pimpin'" the LOTR RPG as hard as possible. Numerous people got into D&D, the most notable RPG, because of LOTR and the Hobbit. They could capitalize on that now escecially since the movies are coming out and generating interest in the label more now than any time in the past.

I have to agree. It's interesting to compare Decipher's approach with Trek and LoTR to Eden Studios with Buffy.

Eden have had the covers of the first three Buffy RPG books on their site for months. They have downloadable character sheets (blank, Willow, Tara). And there is a regular e-mail newsletter detailing progress on the books.

All of which has got my interest whetted.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

The Decipher game is not catching on locally. The LGS has sold a few copies to die-hard fanatics (such as myself), but there is very little non-reserve buying going on. Even among the folks who have bought it, no one is running it as yet.
    The ST game has a $60 buy in with two core books. SW has a buy in of half that and only requires one book. You don't have to be a genius to figure out which is more appealing to casual consumers!
    SW has a proven system with a pre-existing fan base. ST is yet ANOTHER in a long line of different ST games. The layout is pretty, but far from clear. There is a lot of detail contained in those two books, but detail works best for dedicated fans. Hell, I've looked through the books several times and pretty much feel that it isn't as difficult to make out as it looks, but even I'm not going to even try to run this puppy until I get a GM screen with all the "essential" tables in one place.

Doing better than expected here

Well, the owner of the LGS here thought getting 12 copies of the PG in would last a while. Ten of those went quick, and the last two (I think) went in the last few days. He got in about the same amount of the NG, and I got the last one.

I'd say it's getting better as we go, and I'm even now considering the LE.

Tom

Does anyone actually have figures on how the game is selling? I know comics trade magazines discuss sales figures, is there something similar for games? Anecdotal evidence from individual stores doesn't seem an accurate measure of how the game is doing.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Good point, Dan. This is kind of what I was hoping for: someone to actually quote sales figures. However, I don't think that is realistic. I have tried to locate such figures with no success. Keep in mind, however, that I did not look terribly hard.

So how bout it; does anyone have said figures?

Arrow

Only Decipher has sales figure for their products, and probably only they can release them.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

...and it may be a bit too early to have reliable sales figure yet...

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

We're coming up on the end of the quarter in a few days, they might have something then...