Thread: Starfleet Marine game

Starfleet Marine game

Hello all!

Back again with another game idea to run by the collected gamemasters and players here.

My brother was interested in playing a Starfleet Marine. So, I've been trying to think of cool ground-based stories to do tying into the Dominion War. I recently finished rewatching Guns of Navaronne after many years and it gave me an idea.

what if my brother's marine detachment are sent to knock out a Dominion equivalent of the "Guns of Navaronne". My thought would that they were huge planetbased polaron cannons that the Dominion has set up to defend an arificial warmhole.

The Marines have to go in and take out the guns (again like the movie) so that Starfleet can launch an assualt on the artifical warmhole.

Thats my general idea. I have a few things i want to try in-game (having the marines land in drop pods), etc.

To throw my brother for a loop in the beginning of the game I was planning on having the mission commander be killed, leaving my brother's character in charge! I was also plannin to throw in some PC security officers co-opted into the mission last minute to help round out the numbers on the assault team.

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for NPC marine ideas as well as plot/encounter ideas as well.

Thanks in advance,

Monty

Hmmm....

Well, for starter DS, how about instead of 'drop pods' use a heavily armored shuttle/runabout (I think there was an 'APC' shuttle either in 'Spacedock' in in the Trekrpg's Utopia Plantia section...leaning to the latter, but if worst-come-to-worst; make one). Also, think about having said vessel destroyed and maybe have communication to the 'deployment post/ship' cut/jammed...how's this so far.

Use an 'enemy coalition' of Breen, Jem'hadar, Vorta, Cardassian, ect. And maybe have the unit/company find out how's their equipment transported out here (an Orion, a Ferengi, who)

Throw in a night assault, a guy constantly saying "That's not what the MC (or what ever the Mission Commander's rank is/was) would do...", and another one using that wonderful ALIENS dialog ("We're never going get outta here man, we're all gonna die man..."); and this could be great.

If ya want would ideas, just say.
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

You want to be covert use a Defiant class ship and have them parachute. If I remember from Voyager there is an atmospheric version. No drop ship to detect no the team still has the element of surprise.
    You don't have to like it, you just have to do it .
    Richard Marcinko

Originally posted by Thierry
    You want to be covert use a Defiant class ship and have them parachute. If I remember from Voyager there is an atmospheric version. No drop ship to detect no the team still has the element of surprise.
    Better make it a Intrepid class. I believe DS9 established that Defiant was _not_ atmospheric-capable.
    ~~~randy~~>

One of the earlier Star Trek: The Magazine Issues (#4 possibly, but I'm not certain) had some concept art for Defiant which included a "mean" runabout - that might make a good lander for marines.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

The Pave Invader

Greetings!

As a "Starfleet Marine", at least as far as STARFLEET, International, is concerned, I may be of some service here. Please check out the Starfleet Marine Corps Special Operations Handbook at http://www.sfi-sfmc.org/tracom/manuals.shtml

The manual includes a 'stealthed' Runabout called the Pave Invader designed to deliver SFMC SpecOps teams to their targets. The rest of the manuals are great for gear and procedures as well.
    COL Jeffrey A. Webb
    342nd MSG "The Wolf Dragoons"
    USS Ark Angel

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    Of course, parachuting may not work. Even with "sneak suits" the Jem' hadar may spot the team and either blow them to smithereens or just beam them to a holding cell. Now if the system happens to have a lot of meteor activity, you can infil in modified photorp casings made up to look like meteors, this would be a fairly dramatic entrance. Or the teams APC or transporting vessel may come under attack just before reaching the AO and have to crash land. The CO could be killed during the attack or the crash,along with anyone else who needs to die dramatically, then the team will have to figure out how to get out of the area after the job is done. Communication during an op like this is always iffy. If the team tries to communicate with the fleet, the transmission could be detected and the whole element of surprise blown. You could put the team on a deadline, "the fleet will be here in 12 hours, we must have the weapon system down by then." Just rent any "commando" movie out there for some ideas. The team needs the usual mix; the heavy weapons guy "Why do you always carry around that isomagnetic disintegrator... as a back-up weapon?", the demo guy "Photon grenades are our friends.", the cool guy "Sentries one through ten neutralized, proceeding to next waypoint." The tech guy," If I can just cross-phase the ion induction coil with the resonance flux capacitor, we may have a way out of this!" and so on and so forth.
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

Re: The Pave Invader

Originally posted by COLWebb
    Greetings!

As a "Starfleet Marine", at least as far as STARFLEET, International, is concerned, I may be of some service here. Please check out the Starfleet Marine Corps Special Operations Handbook at http://www.sfi-sfmc.org/tracom/manuals.shtml

The manual includes a 'stealthed' Runabout called the Pave Invader designed to deliver SFMC SpecOps teams to their targets. The rest of the manuals are great for gear and procedures as well.
    You may want to double-check your link, Colonel...I tried it, and it wouldn't let me in. I got a "you may not have the credentials to view this area" sort of message.

Just thought you should know.
    "I didn't understand a single word you said, but I'll fight to the death for your right to confuse me."

Hawkeye Pierce

Re: Re: The Pave Invader

Originally posted by The Highlander

You may want to double-check your link, Colonel...I tried it, and it wouldn't let me in. I got a "you may not have the credentials to view this area" sort of message.

Just thought you should know.
    The link worked when he posted the message. SFI is notorious for having bad server connections. Check back in a few days.
    ~~~randy~~>

Gakk.

Yeah, the servers are a bit spotty.

The site appears to be (hopefully temporarily) down. BUT- when it comes back up, the manaul for SpecOps is great.

Really.

COL Webb
    Embarrased Starfleet Marine
    COL Jeffrey A. Webb
    342nd MSG "The Wolf Dragoons"
    USS Ark Angel

Re: Gakk.

Originally posted by COLWebb
    Yeah, the servers are a bit spotty.

The site appears to be (hopefully temporarily) down. BUT- when it comes back up, the manaul for SpecOps is great.

Really.

COL Webb
    Embarrased Starfleet Marine
    Easy, Colonel...no need for embarassment...

I did get copies of the SpecOps manual, along with the NCO, Personal Development, and (I think) Medical.

The server being down explains alot.
    "I didn't understand a single word you said, but I'll fight to the death for your right to confuse me."

Hawkeye Pierce