Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price of Freedom- is it worth it

Post Price of Freedom- is it worth it

Just saw the POF book at a local store. It hasnt been here in a while and i was wondering if it was worth it. My initial impression is now since the TNG stats arent that good for me and there are several ships available on this site. Since the purchase wont help LUG trek keep going anyway, is it worth buying?

Go for it. I reference the book often in my games and has lots of detail on the Federation and Starfleet that are often overlooked by narrators. I would highly recomend it.

I'd agree that the character stats are mediocre. The ship stats are fairly reasonable however. But, the book truly shines in its discussion of the Federation and its relationships with other governments. Stuff about what is a member world, a colony, etc., all of which I found inspirational in making adventures. Needed, no, but quite useful in my opinion.

(A side note - I found that all of LUG's core books made for excellent self-contained games - I ran a TNG game for quite a while with just the TNG core rules before getting any supplements - a rarity in today's market where you are often expected to have several rulebooks for a complete game - Call of Cthulhu is also like that - with just the core rulebook, you have all you need. Pick up a big campaign book, like Masks of Nyraptholep or Mountains of Madness and you've got a campaign for several months or a year...)

Thumbs up

If you use the old ship combat, the ships are indespensible. The overlays for the civies I like. OVerall, I think it's one of the better books LUG put out.

Thumbs up

I personaly use the PoF book all the time. It has lots of cool equipment and ship stuff in it. I say go for it.

------------------
    Cpt. Damian Harn, U.S.S. Brittania N.C.C. 31379

It is the second best sourcebook, the best is the player's guide. In the POF book you'll find new ship stats and an extended Federation History. It has good ideas for colonies and introduces the Merchant Marine, which seems to be quite interesting concerning adventure ideas. there is lots of new equipment especially things seen in the new movies and yes the NEW TYPE III Rifle, hehehe, I simply love it.

------------------
    "I am a great one for rushing in where angels fear to tread." - Cpt. Kirk, Star Trek VI

I have to concur, its one of the best Sourcebooks, especially with all the ship templates if aren't using SD. I know I was all over it as soon as it was rreleased, and for the Fed back history and departments as well.

------------------
    '...The Borg have stopped at deck 10...'
    '...Deflector Control, no vital systems...'

Not a vital system! What the heck do you think stops the ship going 'poof' every time it goes to warp?

- ST:First Contact; Lt Hawk

Thumbs up

I will also agree. For those running a ST:TNG Starfleet game this book is one of the three must to purchase. The other two is the Core Book and the Players Handbook.

------------------
    "See Everything; overlook a great deal; correct a little." -Pope John XXIII

Sirs-

I run a TOS only game. I'm not going to switch to TNG/DS9/VOY. Is "Price", um, worth it's price?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist that. But it is a serious question...)

Thumbs down

Since you're running a TOS game . . . I don't think it is necessary . . . it is written for the TNG and after era . . . However it is still a good book, and furthermore, I would speculate you can use some of what is written there to help you create several stories from its history section . . . and most importantly well created NPCs (This supplement book is VERY good for that)

------------------
    "See Everything; overlook a great deal; correct a little." -Pope John XXIII

Red face

Oh God... then my sadness is even bigger... Do I really need these three books to run a good adventure? I have just the TNG Core Game Book and the stores are no longer selling the LUG's books. Since they are my only option to buy RPG stuff, I'm completely abandoned. Well, my hope is Decipher, hehehehe....

Ronaldo Marques

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dhorkan:
    Oh God... then my sadness is even bigger... Do I really need these three books to run a good adventure? I have just the TNG Core Game Book and the stores are no longer selling the LUG's books. Since they are my only option to buy RPG stuff, I'm completely abandoned. Well, my hope is Decipher, hehehehe....

Ronaldo Marques
    </font>
    Don't forget the on-line store here at TrekRPG.net...

------------------
    "May I find you with peace, and leave you with hope."

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy

I've been trying to order the Price of Freedom at the online store and all I get is "the shopping cart is currently unavailable."
    I would like to get it if the store would let me get it.

------------------
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!"

It was certainly useful for my campaign early. I would get it as a useful reference manual for TNG games.

I myself ran a TNG game for many months with just the core book. I think it is fine as a complete game. The others make very nice additions, but I can't think of any that are essential.

------------------