Thread: Nebula Class

Nebula Class

Here's my take on the Nebula class. This is a representation of the "typical" Nebula class and thus has no particular traits assigned to it. It's also interesting in that it had 89 space, and used it all first time I've had a ship come out even.

PRODUCTION DATA
    Origin: United Federation of Planets
    Class and Type: Nebula-class Exploratory Cruiser
    Year Launched: 2357

HULL DATA
    Structure: 35
    Size/Decks: 7/28
    Length/Beam/Height: 442.3/318.11/130.43
    Complement: 750 (300 officers, 450 enlisted)

OPERATIONAL DATA
    Transporters: 4 personell, 4 cargo, 4 emergency
    Cargo Units: 70
    Shuttlebay: 1 saucer section, 1 stardrive section
    Shuttlecraft: 7 size worth
    Tractor Beams: 1 fv, 1 fd, 1 av
    Separation Systems: No
    Sensor System: Class 4 (+4/E)
    Operations Systems: Class 4 (E)
    Life Support: Class 4 (E)

PROPULSION DATA
    Impulse System: Class 7 (.92c) (D)
    Warp System: Class 6A2 (Warp 6/8/9.2) (D)*
    *this does not match previously published stats but is the closest I could come with the systems in the NG.

TACTICAL DATA
    Phaser Banks: Type X Phasers (X2 Saucer, X3 Stardrive) (D)
    Penetration: 6/6/6/0/0
    Photon Torpedoes: Type VI (X2 Stardrive) (D)
    Penetration: 5/5/5/5/5
    Deflector Shields: Class 6 (D)
    Protection/Threshold: 17/4

MISCELLANEOUS DATA
    Maneuver Modifiers: C +3, H +0, T+1
    Traits: None**
    ** one idea I had was to sacrifice 5 structure for 5 extra space and use that to purchase "Hardened System (Sensors)".

Comments, corrections etc are most welcome.

Allen
    Last edited by AllenS; 06-18-2002 at 07:55 PM.

Looks good, but are you sure about the number of shuttles (i.e. 7 sizes)? While I don't have the NG at hand IIRC you get ship size = shuttle size for each bay, and as you listed 2 shuttlebays wouldn't that give you 14 sizes worth of shuttles?

As for the warp propulsion: You can always buy the better system if what you want falls between two categories and just write down the numbers you're looking for. I can't see anything wrong with taking the numbers in the table as the maximum speed for any given system and introducing a little downward variation.

I was assuming, based on the NG write-ups, that the Shuttlecraft line refers to the Size capacity per bay, thus the ship would have 14 shuttlecraft assuming all were size 1; in reality it might have less since some might be Runabouts. probably should have written that more clearly.

I've noticed that the warp system designators matches up pretty well with the nacelle designators from Spacedock; I probably should have just created a new warp system

Allen

I just made up my own Nebula stats (too bad I didn't check your post first... could have spared me some work ). Your design is pretty close to mine, but I got a few general questions:
    - looks like you did't include the weapons pod in your design (which would seriously add some torpedo power). How are you planning to implement the various mission pods?
    - and if I add the weapons pod... according to ditl.org and a few other websources I found the pod includes no less than eight torpedo tubes. That would a) eat up an unholy amount of space using the NG starship system and b) make the Nebula an incredible killing machine... 9 penetration sounds a bit high to me. or even 10 if i count the two tubes in the hull. opinions?
    - does the deck number include the weapons pod (or whatever module is used). Judging from the size of that thing, there should be a few more decks... IMHO.

I'm not quite satisfied with my own version, so I'm curious how other people solve these problems.
    "Everything's better with zombies!"

An idea for the possible pod dilema. You could create different pods using the ship construction system. Design it as a seperate vessel but with no propulsion of its own. Then you decide which type of pod the ship left dock with. If its the sensor pod, then you have increased/more accurate sensors and the basic weapons package. If you install the weapons pod, then as Ace puts it...you have an incredible killing machine.

I'm sure when the ship book comes out they'll either have thier own Nebula Class or they'll give you more information with which to solve the problem.
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

The thing about the Nebula's Pod...

Is that its all fan based conjecture. 8 Torpedo tubes? show me the evidence?

Dont get me wrong, I quite like the idea that the Nebula class has a swap-pod to make the ship a little more mission specific, but this conjecture is based solely upon a the Paramount Model-makers using several different additions to the model.

A large, blunt Triangle was seen on the USS Sutherland, USS Prometheus and USS Farragut, while a large saucer was seen on the USS Phoenix. But apart from a single torpedo fired by the Sutherlands pod, they have shown no other usage. Lastly, the USS Melbourne in the ships graveyard at Wolf 359 had no pod at all, but instead mounted extra warp engines...

The long and the short of it is to take the pods as you will. My thoughts would be to make the pods 'extra' space. In addition to the basic design, but to maybe introduce (if its not there already) a suitable Starship Trait for this utilitarian design?
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Mission specific pod idea

Here's an idea. Take a ship of whatever size, and designate some amount of space for a "pod". Say 7 or so.

Then design a bunch of size 7 pods. Some examples could include:

1. Sensor package - Upgrade the sensors to the next higher Class, with the difference between the ships sensor cost and the higher cost being the "pod space" used. You could upgrade multiple levels, or take an Enhanced System trait. Now you have your big sensor pod.

2. Weapons package - same thing as above, but substitute extra weapons or make one weapon system enhanced.

In fact, you could probably do this for any specific system on the ship. You could even designate it as extra cargo or crew quarters (nifty for evacuating large numbers of personnel in times of emergency).

The pods would probably need to be swapped-out at starbases, and of course, Narrator approval required for any pod design

I followed the ICON lead in assuming the default Nebula has the sensor pod; a Nebula with the weapons pod would have a lesser sensor suite and more firepower.

Allen

Lightbulb Re: Nebula Class

The pods used by the Nebula class from I understand can serve several functions.... The triangular pod can either house many compliments of marines, or house extra photon torpedo launchers... there is a circular pod (ala AWACS) which hold many different forms of sensors... in this configuration, the nebula serves as a command vessel.. or as a science vessel....
    And finally there is a pod which is used simply as a shuttle bay.
    PRODUCTION DATA
    Origin: United Federation of Planets
    Class and Type: Nebula-class Exploratory Cruiser
    Year Launched: 2357

HULL DATA
    Structure: 35
    Size/Decks: 7/28
    Length/Beam/Height: 442.3/318.11/130.43
    Complement: 750 (300 officers, 450 enlisted)

OPERATIONAL DATA
    Transporters: 4 personell, 4 cargo, 4 emergency
    Cargo Units: 70
    Shuttlebay: 1 saucer section, 1 stardrive section
    Shuttlecraft: 7 size worth
    Tractor Beams: 1 fv, 1 fd, 1 av
    Separation Systems: No
    Sensor System: Class 4 (+4/E)
    Operations Systems: Class 4 (E)
    Life Support: Class 4 (E)

PROPULSION DATA
    Impulse System: Class 7 (.92c) (D)
    Warp System: Class 6A2 (Warp 6/8/9.2) (D)*
    *this does not match previously published stats but is the closest I could come with the systems in the NG.

TACTICAL DATA
    Phaser Banks: Type X Phasers (X2 Saucer, X3 Stardrive) (D)
    Penetration: 6/6/6/0/0
    Photon Torpedoes: Type VI (X2 Stardrive) (D)
    Penetration: 5/5/5/5/5
    Deflector Shields: Class 6 (D)
    Protection/Threshold: 17/4

MISCELLANEOUS DATA
    Maneuver Modifiers: C +3, H +0, T+1
    Traits: None**
    ** one idea I had was to sacrifice 5 structure for 5 extra space and use that to purchase "Hardened System (Sensors)".

Comments, corrections etc are most welcome.

Allen [/B][/QUOTE]
    DHoliday64

bringing back an old thread

I just tried creating a Nebula class as an Exploratory Cruiser and compared it with the one here. I found much to be the same but had some differences and questions.

1. You need to have at least 30 decks to have a crew of 750.
    I found this interesting since Lug has it listed at 21 deck and a crew of 550 in the TNG corebook and 750 crew in the DS9 corebook. if there is canon info on the class I do not know.)

2. Type VI torpedos cannot be put an a pre-2360 ship. With it being Launched in 2357 you need to possibly drop a class.
    (Now the Galaxy class which was in the NG has type VI so I do not know if type VI should be allowed and the 2360 date should be changed to 2350 or that they made a mistake in making the ship)

So my question is with the items listed what changes should be made to make it as close to canon as possible.
    Last edited by Capt. Chris; 08-27-2002 at 03:46 PM.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    What I did to solve the "mission pod" dilemma was to set aside 5 spaces for the pod, with the stipulation that any equipment included must be "jury-rigged" as per the flaw.

The examples I gave were:

Sensor Pod (standard for class) Enhanced System (sensors) (+4), Jury-Rigged (sensors) (-1 reliability)
    Tactical Pod Type X Phaser, Type V Torpedo, Jury-Rigged (weapons) (-1 reliability)
    Cargo Pod +25 Cargo Units

The Cargo Pod had no actual "equipment," so I didn't force a "jury-rig" flaw on it.

The full write up for my version of the Nebula can be seen at:
    http://216.40.212.6/forum/showthread...fleet+23402367

The Nebula is about half-way down the page.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Re: The thing about the Nebula's Pod...

Originally posted by Dan Gurden
    but this conjecture is based solely upon a the Paramount Model-makers using several different additions to the model.
    Amen! What everyone misses is that the ntire backend of the Pheonix, Melbourne (wolf359) and the Farragut and others is different.

Mounting a differet pod would be in the least a difficult endeavour that wouldn't be worth the time.

I think (and this is just my opinion) that Nebulas are built to specifics, some tactical, others scientific, etc...

Take what you will from that.

Though I am not a fan of the pod idea on the Nebula. Slighly different designs on the same class can be explained by variants.

Though if I allowed the pod design that allowed swapping for specific missions I would make it pay the 2 cost space for a separation system.

That would allow for the ability to remove the pod and connect another especially since the power systems would have to match. This would also allow for fairly quick changes for if to change takes to long or was diffucult to do, It would be easier to send another ship more suited than to change one out for other duty.

Re: bringing back an old thread

Originally posted by Capt. Chris
    I just tried creating a Nebula class as an Exploratory Cruiser and compared it with the one here. I found much to be the same but had some differences and questions.

1. You need to have at least 30 decks to have a crew of 750.
    I found this interesting since Lug has it listed at 21 deck and a crew of 550 in the TNG corebook and 750 crew in the DS9 corebook. if there is canon info on the class I do not know.)

2. Type VI torpedos cannot be put an a pre-2360 ship. With it being Launched in 2357 you need to possibly drop a class.
    (Now the Galaxy class which was in the NG has type VI so I do not know if type VI should be allowed and the 2360 date should be changed to 2350 or that they made a mistake in making the ship)

So my question is with the items listed what changes should be made to make it as close to canon as possible.
    Bump bump Hoping to get my questions answered.