Thread: FASA Trek expereince awards

FASA Trek expereince awards

To those who remember (or still) Gm the FASA Trek RPG. For a regular length adventure (2 sessions or so) with a good mix of both role-play and action scenes, about how many skill points do you guys think should be awarded?

Most of my old adventures as well as the game master's book list very low point awards totals but I've come across published adventure recently that gives out about 30-40 or so. I was comfused becuase that is about 3 times what I have ever seen in other published FASA adventures. I have never given mroe htan about 10-12 myself and that only in skills that were used or towards new ones that might be developed.

can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks in advance,

Monty. Vulcan, andorian and Hobbit fan

Which adventure are you referring to?

Personally, 12 was an absolute maximum award when I ran FASA Trek. You're right, 30-40 is extremely high. At least in my opinion.

It depends on the adventure, but I would say go with your own judgement, and ignore what the book says

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    It always depended on what the character did, and even sometimes which character we were dealing with.

I've given out anywhere from 1-30 points after an adventure.

I like the system given in the rules that, if you make a skill roll, and roll *higher* than your skill total you can advance that particular skill.

I tend to run very cinematic games. Characters advance quickly... but... then the Bad Guys get badder !

I never gave out expereince just used the roll higher on skills you used system.I used to have a rule for promotions but I don't remember what it was anymore & I use something in a pdf I found on line(I think it was something someone posted here.) which I liked a lot better.

Edit:The Pdf is Star Trek:The Role Playing Game;Rules for Character Advancement in Rank copyright2007 by Robert L. Bocchino,Jr.
    still not certain what site I got it from.
    Last edited by WarriorKnight; 11-05-2009 at 02:43 AM.

I use the Call of Cthulhu/BRP system of rolling d100 for each skill you use during an adventure. If you roll higher than your current score, you get to roll a d10 and add that to your score.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Thats the basic rule I use except I found the players were getting to powerful to quick when they would roll the 1d10/2 for how much your skill went up,so I started having them go up 1pt for every expereince roll they made.The person I got playing the Chief Engineer in both my current games love to try & be eveywhere a once in all the action so he can make rolls & sulks when I don't let him so someone else can do something.