Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 23rd Century Starfleet

Hermes and Saladin Class

I would love to see your interpertations of the
    HERMES Class I Scout
    and the SALADIN Class Destroyer.

I have a campaign set in 2267 on a HERMES class scout and am curious as to what you gentlmen would do with the design.

Being new to the CODA system I still just don't feel right designing a ship from scratch. So please contribute your interpertations...

thanks.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Patrick Goodman did some nice representation of the Saladin and Hermes. You can find them at:

http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...&threadid=4862

Lemon Curry?
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

HERMES and SALADIN CLASS - DECIPHER

After looking at several sources:
    The Star Fleet Technical Manual
    Decipher's write up for the Constitution Class
    some random fan material,

I have made what I consider to be a more consistent TOS write up of the two vessels. The last write up was good, but minor things (the Class3 shields when they arent invented for another 50 years, a small error) made me take a long hard look at the designs.

I have made a basic assumption that the Saucer section of the HERMES/SALADIN is almost identical to the CONSTITUION CLASS.

I have however, given it a more powerful Warp Drive after reading some fan material (I consider it better performance from the same warp drive and a smaller hull, but hey...)

I also took some basic liberties, enhanced and hardened sensors seemed right for a scout, as well as the Nimble, the Design Flaw Warp Drive I think makes sense for the scout but not for the more heavily armed Destroyer. most of these are aesthetic choices.

Also all the tech is written for my 2267 campaign (last season of TOS) which may have affected my design choices.

please send your suggestions.

HERMES CLASS I HEAVY SCOUT

CLASS I SCOUT
    HERMES CLASS STARSHIPS

Production Data
    Origin Sol
    Class and Type Hermes Class Heavy Scout
    Year Launched 2245

Hull Data
    Structure 30
    Size/Decks 5 / 12
    Length Overall 242.5m
    Height Overall 60m
    Beam Overall 127.1m
    Complement 195
    Officers 20
    Crew 175

Operation Data
    Atmosphere Capable No
    Transporter 6 Standard, 6 Emergency
    Cargo Units 50
    Shuttlebay 1
    Shuttlecraft 5 Size Worth
    Tractor Beams 1 FV, 1 AV
    Separation Systems Yes (Emergency Only)
    Sensor System Class 2 (+2/ Reliability C)
    Operations System Class 4 (Reliability E)
    Life Support Class 4 (Reliability E)

Production Data
    Impulse System Type IV (.5c) (D)
    Warp System Type VI (Warp 6/7/8) (D)

Tactical Data
    Beam Primary Phaser Banks Type IV X1
    Penetration 2/2/2/0/0 (A)
    Beam Secondary None
    Missile Primary None
    Deflector Shield Class 2a (B)
    Protection 13
    Threshold 3

Miscellaneous Data
    Maneuver Modifiers 1C, 1H, 0T

Edges and Flaws
    Nimble
    Enhanced Sensors
    Hardened Systems Sensors, Life Support
    Design Flaw Warp Drive

SALADIN CLASS I HEAVY DESTROYER

CLASS I DESTROYER
    SALADIN CLASS STARSHIPS

Production Data
    Origin Sol
    Class and Type Saladin Class Heavy Destroyer
    Year Launched 2245

Hull Data
    Structure 30
    Size/Decks 5 / 12
    Length Overall 242.5m
    Height Overall 60m
    Beam Overall 127.1m
    Complement 200
    Officers 20
    Crew 180

Operation Data
    Atmosphere Capable No
    Transporter 6 Standard, 6 Emergency
    Cargo Units 50
    Shuttlebay 1
    Shuttlecraft 5 Size Worth
    Tractor Beams 1 FV
    Separation Systems Yes (Emergency Only)
    Sensor System Class 2 (+2/ Reliability C)
    Operations System Class 4 (Reliability E)
    Life Support Class 4 (Reliability E)

Production Data
    Impulse System Type IV (.5c) (D)
    Warp System Type VI (Warp 6/7/8) (D)

Tactical Data
    Beam Primary Phaser Banks Type IV X3
    Penetration 4/3/3/0/0 (A)
    Beam Secondary None
    Missile Primary Photon Torpedo Type I X1
    Penetration 3/3/3/3/0 (B)
    Deflector Shield Class 2a (B)
    Protection 13
    Threshold 3

Miscellaneous Data
    Maneuver Modifiers 2C, 1H, 2T

Edges and Flaws
    Enhanced Sensors
    Hardened Systems Sensors, Life Support

Re: HERMES and SALADIN CLASS - DECIPHER

Originally posted by vegasthroat
    [B]I have made what I consider to be a more consistent TOS write up of the two vessels. The last write up was good, but minor things (the Class3 shields when they arent invented for another 50 years, a small error) made me take a long hard look at the designs.
    No more of an error than giving those systems to the Constitution-class heavy cruiser. Most of the systems on my write-ups of the Hermes- and Saladin-class vessels were based directly from what was put into the write-up of the Constitution-class.

My decision was recently validated by the errata for the Narrator's Guide, which did away with the availability dates (which were an add-on after they were written and submitted).

I also took some basic liberties, enhanced and hardened sensors seemed right for a scout, as well as the Nimble, the Design Flaw Warp Drive I think makes sense for the scout but not for the more heavily armed Destroyer. most of these are aesthetic choices.
    And not bad ones, nor are they entirely unwarranted. I just saw it a little differently (and didn't take anything from fan material, which I generally consider a little suspect, my own fannish nature notwithstanding).

All in all, not bad, though. Not bad at all. I am, however, biased.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Oh! ok that makes sense. (about the Sensors, then).

Yeah, I really didnt feel there was anything wrong with your write-up, but given the era I'm running in (2269_TOS) I felt I needed to tweak those ships a little to fit my needs.
    The used some of the old FASA write-ups and some technical manual stuff for comparison. But basically all I did was take the Constitution Class Primary Hull and slap a slightly better engine on it - a couple of the write ups I've seen list the Hermes as having a faster sustainable cruising speed than the Constitution, which makes sense for a scout/destroyer type vessel.
    The Design flaw is primarily aesthetic in that a scout and a destroyer both have the same basic design but the destroyer has SOOO much more firepower I though that it would be in-line with TOS design philosophy to make it so that the scout is a little bit overpowered because its a 'lighter' (figuratively speaking) vessel.
    This allowed me to give it some things that I think that a scout needs (enhanced sensors/extra tractor beam makes sense too) and some things that compensate for having engines that are pushing a little too hard (Warp Design Flaw and Nimble). The Saladin, being a 'heavier' vessel doesnt have this design flaw or its advantage, but retains the hardened systems of the scout and the enhanced sensors.

like is said tho, these are just opinions. and much of mine is based on flavor/narrative rather than actual 'technical' considerations...