Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new narrator

new narrator

I'm getting ready to run a game using the new rules and I'm a first time GM but a long time player(about 12 years).What I'm asking for is just some general hints on running a ST game.Do I run it like most games where I tell the players whats going on or do I try to use little notes and pass it to dept. heads so its like a star trek show

all help is welcomed

Welcome to the boards, eaglewind.

Well my advice is to always have some scraps of paper ready to scribble some notes down. Ensure that you have a clear plotline for the whole story and expect the players to go off completely. I also try to ensure that everyone has something to do, of course failing that I have something to entertain them while they wait for their moment.

If your players are dept.heads or CO's then you could have them help you by pushing the story forward. They could say the name of the nameless sensors operator on the spot.

Mixing and matching IMO is the best. Give some notes to provide with personal or secret info and tell them what's happening also.

Best of luck.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

Hey eaglewind

The first thing you must figure out is if you are the kind of narrator who needs to have a lot of strcuture, wings it as he goes, or is somehwere inbetween.

Everything that Antos says is good advice.

Try and make your NPCs come to life when you play them. Players always remember strong NPCs who engage them in good scenes of roleplaying.

Originally posted by AslanC
    Try and make your NPCs come to life when you play them. Players always remember strong NPCs who engage them in good scenes of roleplaying.
    Which doesn't mean you should make your NPCs so strong or important that they dominate the game and the PCs are pushed into the background. It's a narrow line you sometimes walk with NPCs, but as you have been playing for over a decade you probably know what I mean. OTOH I have seen this problem occur with even the most experienced Gamemasters.

In the end the single most important advice I can give you is to stay true to yourself. While it's the Narrators job to entertain, don't let your players pressure you into something you are not comfortable with, just because you think they would like the game better if you did it the way they want.

I know it's easier said than done, but try to only narrate a game when you are comfortable wit it. If you promised them to GM at a certain date and a few hours before you discover that you are not feeling prepared enough to actualy do so then tell your players. If you come to a point in the game where the players totaly surprise you and you just don't know how to react take a time-out. Don't paint yourself into a corner.

But as you asked for some advice on narrating a ST game I'd say there is no big difference to other genres. You will sometimes need a little different motivations and IMHO character-driven subplots can be a little more important than in a typical fantasy RPG, but that's about it. YMMV of course.

And welcome to the gang.

Thanks for making me feel welcomed,and the good advice.Guess I just dont want to look like an idiot when running my first game.
    I dont know how many of you post on the trekbbs board so what I'm going to say is very unintentional but some people on there like nothing better than to make you feel like a moron because what you think about trek isn't what they think.So I dont post there but I believe I will here from now on

Thank You very much
    eaglewind

I stopped even reading the TrekBBS forums after awhile. Too much flaming and crapping on people over there for my liking.

This place is the one place where you can always express yourself and not have someone poop on you

Welcome and let us know how your campaign develops.

I've actually forgotten to mention what type of campaign I'm going to run.It's a colony game set after DS9.Its the first colony set up in the gamma quadrant.but what I need help with is how would you run it in next gen era compared to what was written in the New Earth TOS books(whick I thought were great and inspired me)?

Thanks

Is this a Federation colony or an independant one?

Just curious, as it may effect the way the colony develops, etc...

Originally posted by eaglewind
    Thanks for making me feel welcomed,and the good advice.Guess I just dont want to look like an idiot when running my first game.
    I dont know how many of you post on the trekbbs board so what I'm going to say is very unintentional but some people on there like nothing better than to make you feel like a moron because what you think about trek isn't what they think.So I dont post there but I believe I will here from now on

Thank You very much
    eaglewind
    SMASH TREKBBS BOARD!!! RWRAHHRRR!!! :::ZZZAAAPPP!!!:::

Sorry about the Mugato folks, he's not fond of those particular boards either...gets him mad all the time. I left him a cookie for when he wakes up.

Welcome eaglewind.

Aslan, "...poop..."? C'mon, I thought we used words like...oh , that's right this is a PG site....sorry.

Here's a question...What's brown and sounds like a bell? Dung!!

Ok, I'll go back to my cage before I cause MORE trouble... :::rattle/clank of door closing:::
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

Something else to keep in mind, Trek is usually a style of game that most players are unused to. When sitting down to create characters, ask your players what type of story arcs and episode types they would most enjoy.

If you have a diplomatic series that requires a fair amount of negotiation and the players best negotiation style is to smack the NPC's head into the ceiling, it may lead to a quick end of the campaign.

Regards,
    CKV.

Also if you haven't done it yet, pick up and read the Narrator's Guide cover to cover! You won' regret it

Originally posted by AslanC
    Also if you haven't done it yet, pick up and read the Narrator's Guide cover to cover! You won' regret it
    Listen to AslanC you should. Remember what the NG teaches, save you it can.

Enough Yoda-isms...a can of mace comes in handy when you're a Game-Master...oh, wait...that's only at my table. The usual box of cookies and soda should suffice...and then you have to get something for the players to snack on.
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

Originally posted by Darth Sarcastic

...a can of Mace comes in handy when you're a Game-Master...
    Would that be the stuff that hurts your eyes or the kind that's bald an' has a Lightsaber?
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

Originally posted by Robbert Raets

Would that be the stuff that hurts your eyes or the kind that's bald an' has a Lightsaber?
    Either one is fine.
    Darth Sarcastic

Originally posted by Darth Sarcastic
    The usual box of cookies and soda should suffice...and then you have to get something for the players to snack on.
    And why for Pete's sake should he - as the Narrator - get something for the players to snack on ???

For players its either bring your own snacks or go empty. And while they are at it they might just as well bring the GM something to eat and drink.