Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unarmed Combat Styles

Unarmed Combat Styles

I always liked the unarmed combat rules from the ICON Player's Guide. Some of the maneuvers are quite cool and all of the different styles go a long way toward making a character with the unarmed combat skill a little more unique. So I have thought a bit about how to achieve a similar result with the CODA system.

I think there are 3 ways that could be used to build different martial arts styles:
    [list=1][*]Use maneuvers structured in Tiers (like the starship maneuvers). Let's say two Tier 1 maneuvers, two Tier 2 and one Tier 3 maneuver. Each tier would be available only with a certain skill level, e.g. Tier 1 requires skill 3+, tier 2 requires skill 6+ and tier 3 requires skill 9+.[*]Allow a practitioner of a certain unarmed combat style to buy specialties in some aspects of the skill, but not others. For example: A brawler might be allow to buy a specialty in Charge and Unarmed Attack actions but not in dodge and block, while a Kung Fu fighter might be allowed to specialize in Block and Attack but not in Charge or Dodge, etc.[*]Assign each style a "Special Effect" like the special rules applied to some of the close combat weapons in the PG. Example: A wrestler would be allowed to grab an opponent as if using an Ahn-woon. A boxer might be allowed an additional attack after a complete success on his block attempt as if using a Mek'leth, etc.[/list=1]

While #1 might be the best way to closely recreate the unarmed combat styles from ICON I think it's way too complicated, so I am currently trying to work out something along #2 and #3. But before I put any real work into this project I'd appreciate some feedback: Do you guys (and gals of course ) think this is worth pursuing at all? What special maneuvers could be used for what style? Comments, feedback, flames anyone?

I like the idea of the specialties, though the tiered approach works well with the rest of the tier stuff in the system.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Originally posted by qerlin
    I like the idea of the specialties, though the tiered approach works well with the rest of the tier stuff in the system.
    Yes, I does work well with the rest of the system, but lets say we have 10 different martial arts styles. Even with some similarities between different styles, working out 40-50 different maneuvers is one heck of a BIG workload. Even with only 4 or 5 styles you would need to create about 15-20 different maneuvers.

And apart from the work involved, with tier 2 and 3 maneuvers the temptation to invent maneuvers that are equal to edges would IMHO be very high.
    I for one certainly don't want to grant someone a benefit that is as powerfull as an edge just because he has a certain level in a skill. And if you introduce additional prerequisites the task of building such a martial arts system gets even more complicated than the number of maneuvers alone already makes it.

Even with a single special ability for each style introducing enough variety while at the same time not making them into pseudo-edges is daunting enough IMO. That's one of the reasons I asked for some ideas from the forum.

I'd just do the specialties under the main style. If you use a maneuver that's not part of your style, maybe get a -3 to the test roll (i.e. using a spinning backkick when you're a brawler; try it sometime...just get the Ben-Gay out first).

I whipped up aset of tables here for this. There's basic maneuvers; everyone can do those without penalties, but they can be specialties under a style, as well as the style-specific moves.

Email me at srhymer@comcast.net if you want one.
    Last edited by qerlin; 06-23-2002 at 05:26 PM.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by Lancer
    And apart from the work involved, with tier 2 and 3 maneuvers the temptation to invent maneuvers that are equal to edges would IMHO be very high. I for one certainly don't want to grant someone a benefit that is as powerfull as an edge just because he has a certain level in a skill.
    I think the idea would be that you would have to purchase these abilities like an edge or non-professional skill, with the minimum skill level as a prerequisite.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Yes creating all the different manuevers for seperate martial art styles could potentionally be a big headache. But you can do what a lot of people do and just incorporate the rules from another rules system. Champions/Hero System has a decent martial arts system (Hint, Hint).

Champions Guru
    Space: The Foodless Frontier...

Star Trek for the D20 System

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/startrekforthed20system/

Another way would be to take a more synthetic, if less realistic approach.

You could use a set of Tiered manoeuvers, but instead of creating a set for each combat style, you would only have one generic set that would be modified according to the style.
    For instance, if you have a Tier maneuver called Kick, the Karate combat style would grant a bonus to the damage for this manoeuver, while another style would lower the TN and the Boxing combat style simply wouldn't allow it.
    That way, a given combat style would only be defined by a set of modifiers (TN, damage bonus, availability) to the generic tier combat maneuvers.
    Also, these manoeuvers could be similar to the starship combat manoeuvers, in that a Tier 3 manoeuver would require a Tier 2 manoeuver to be made before and so on.

As for the specialities, they would be target some of the generic manoeuvers (provided, of course, that the combat style allow them), like Kick, Punches, Feint, and so on.

That way, all we'd have to do would be to build a generic manoeuver table and then every Combat Style could be plugged into it.

Comments, flames ?
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Originally posted by C5
    That way, a given combat style would only be defined by a set of modifiers (TN, damage bonus, availability) to the generic tier combat maneuvers.
    Also, these manoeuvers could be similar to the starship combat manoeuvers, in that a Tier 3 manoeuver would require a Tier 2 manoeuver to be made before and so on.

As for the specialities, they would be target some of the generic manoeuvers (provided, of course, that the combat style allow them), like Kick, Punches, Feint, and so on.

That way, all we'd have to do would be to build a generic manoeuver table and then every Combat Style could be plugged into it.

Comments, flames ?
    Not a bad idea, but one thing that should be kept in in mind is how much using this system could slow down combat.

As my original intention was just to add a little 'color' to unarmed combat and differentiate a little better between different style I'll probably not go the "tier way" as I find it too complicated for my taste, but the idea you have is certainly intriguing.

I think I'll create some combat maneuvers and make 2 available to each style (probably requiring a certain level of skill) and allow a specialty in 2-3 maneuvers (new or the basic combat options from the PG) for each style. Or at least that's my current line of thought - subject to change without further notice.

Making the generic maneuvers apply in different ways to the different martial arts is a good idea. It gives a way to make the character a bit more individual while not making things too complicated. After all, naming out all the individual maneuvers per art can be a bit repetitive. In Aikido, for example, if your character is using shomen uchi nikyo omote waza or shomen uchi sankyo ura waza, the roleplaying result is the same. The character is attacked with a strike to the front of the head and responds with a control technique to pin the attacker. You could create different maeuvers for both techniques, but you could also create a single control technique maneuver which would cover all of the basic control techniques (or osai waza) of which there are 100+ variations.
    Our knowledge can only be finite, while our ignorance must necessarily be infinite
    -Karl Popper

I find that the martial arts system from Cyberpunk 2020 works very well. There are about a dozen generic maneuvers, punch, kick, throw, etc. Different styles simply get a bonus to different ones.
    It works well with the single skill system and does not slow down gameplay at all while still making it more colerful, which is the purpose.
    On a related note, I find the Cyberpunk 2020 rules to be very useful in terms of Netrunning (seen in two eps of DS9), and cybernetics (mentioned often and seen occasionally in various eps of all the series, except TOS).
    In fact these rules are so compatable with CODA that only the tiniest of changes to the Netrunning rules are needed to convert.
    4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.
    Evil Overlords Survival Guide

There are few problems in the galaxy which cannot be solved by a suitable application of concentrated phaser fire.
    Capt. Coryn Windsabre

I've always preferred photons myself.
    Cmdr. Marcus Aurelius Ferretti

Okay gang, here it is:

Expanded Unarmed Combat rules for Coda

These rules try to add more flavor to the Coda system's unarmed combat by defining certain martial arts styles and expanding the list of possible combat. I don't claim to be an expert on real world martial arts, because I am not. What you will find here is mainly influenced by the way other RPGs present the martial arts, including Hero System's „Ultimate Martial Artist“, Cyberpunk and the LUG's Star Trek Player's Guide. My main goal in writing these rules was not to faithfuly recreate the combat styles of the real world, but only to add some more options and a little 'color' to the unarmed combat rules found in Coda.

From the start I decided that I didn't want to turn combat actions into pseudo edges by making them too powerful. The Player's Guide already has a number of edges that can enhance any martial arts style and can be used to simulate certain unarmed fighting styles. So if you are expecting some rules here for turning a simple strike into the „two fisted power smash of doom“ you may be disappointed, but that shouldn't stop you from designing such a maneuver yourself if you believe it will enhance your game.

Each martial arts style here consists of three parts: A list of combat actions (like Attack, Dodge, Throw, etc.), a list of specialties you can take as part of your unarmed combat skill and some suggestions on what edges might be usefull in rounding out this style. As to avoid repeating the same descriptions over and over let me first present you with all the available combat actions. All these Actions cost one of your actions for a round, unless otherwise specified.
    Many of the actions below mention opposed rolls against either Strength or Agility. See the individual style descriptions for the „key attribute“ of your martial arts style that applies in these cases.

Combat Actions
    Unarmed Attack
    Aim
    Delay
    Dodge
    Parry/Block
    Charge, 2 actions
    (all PG, p. 248)

Throw: You try to knock your opponent down. Make an unarmed attack test. If successful you force your opponent to make a Strength attribute test to avoid being knocked prone. The TN for this test is your Strength (or Agility, see below for individual style descriptions) + 2. Add another +2 if your attack test was a complete success or +4 if the attack resulted in an extraordinary success, but don't add this bonus to your attack's damage as with a standard attack (an extraordinary success still does maximum damage).

Takedown: This is just like a throw, but is more concerned with damaging the opponent. Add the bonus for a complete or extraordinary success on your attack to the damage, instead of the opponent's TN to resist being knocked down

Hold: If you score a complete success you grab your opponent and can hold him defensless by succeeding at an opposed Strength test (or Agility, see below for individual style descriptions) (you get +4 to the result). A held opponent is easier to hit; modify any attack test to hit him by +5. Maintaining a hold costs you one of your actions each round and the test to break free of a hold costs your opponent one action.

Escape: An Escape can be used as a response to an opponents attempt to hold you. In that case it works like a block (i.e. against the next attack only), but adds +2 to the opponents TN for his Hold attempt. In addition an Escape can be used to break free of a Hold, adding +4 to your Strength (or Agility) test, canceling the bonus your opponent receives for his successful Hold.

Stun Attack: You try to stun your opponent. Make an unarmed attack test. If successful the result of your attack test becomes the TN for a Stamina test by your opponent. If this Stamina test is unsuccessful your opponent is stunned, suffering a –5 penalty for 1d3+your Strength (or Agility) rounds.

Power Attack, 2 actions: An especialy forcefull attack that takes more time to execute than a standard attack, but does 1d6+1+Strength damage.

Double Attack: Make an unarmed attack test. Upon scoring a complete success you may perform another attack (single action, i.e. no Charge or Power Attack) as a free action against the same opponent (TN standard +4). This attack must be performed during the same round the attack was made.

All-out Defense, 2 actions: Add +4 to a Parry/Block or Dodge action at the expense of one additional action.

Forceful Block: A Forceful Block works just like a standard Parry/Block action, but has the potential to cause damage to the attacker. If you score a complete success on your opposed Unarmed Combat test against your opponent's attack test you deal 2 damage to your opponent and 4 with an extraordinary success.

Reactive Defense: If you score a complete success on an Unarmed Attack action you gain a free Parry/Block or Dodge action if you are attacked by the same opponent later in the same round.

Reactive Attack: If you score a complete success on a Parry/Block or Dodge action you gain a free Unarmed Attack action against the same opponent (TN standard +4). This attack must be performed during the same round the Parry or Dodge was made.

Disarm: You try to knock your opponent's weapon from his hands. Engage your opponent in an opposed test of your Unarmed Comabt vs. his Armed Combat skill. If you are successful your opponent's weapon is knocked from his graps and lands (1+your Strength Modifier meters) away from him in a random direction. The Narrator may grant the opponent a bonus to this test, depending on the size and/or weight of his weapon.

Martial Arts Styles
    This is but a small selection of the possible martial arts styles. Each description shows the Combat Actions a practitioner of this style may use and denotes possible Specialties. Specialties for Unarmed Combat follow the same rules as for any other skill, i.e. they cost one pick during character development or advancements and grant a bonus of +2 to the maneuver for which you gain the Specialty.
    In addition each style gives appropriate names for some of the Combat Actions available. While a Throw may be anything from a legsweep to a Judo throw, the game mechanics are functionaly the same, so different styles distinguish between Combat Options only by name and not in terms of game mechanics.
    In addition each style makes reference to some of the Edges from the Player's Guide that may be used to further enhance a certain style or be especialy fitting for a martial arts style listed below.

Unless otherwise stated each martial arts style can utilize Combat Actions (1) - (5); the only Combat Action from the Player's Guide not available to all Martial Arts styles is Charge.

AIKIDO (Agility):
    Combat Actions: Throw, Takedown, Escape, Forceful Block („Redirect“), Reactive Attack
    Specialties: Throw, Takedown, Forceful Block, Reactive Attack
    Edges: Block/Parry, Takedown, Forceful Block, Reactive Attack
    Notes: A Joint Lock or Joint Break can be simulated by following a Hold with an Unarmed Attack or a Stun Attack.

BOXING (Strength):
    Combat Actions: Power Attack („Jackhammer“), Double Attack („Left-Right Combo“), All-Out Defense („Bob & Weave“), Reactive Attack, Reactive Defense
    Specialties: Unarmed Attack, Block/Parry, Power Attack, Double Attack
    Edges: Deliberate Attack, you may also consider High Pain Threshold or Two-handed Fighting.

BRAWLING (Strength):
    Combat Actions: Charge („Flying Smash“), Takedown („Tackle“), Power Attack („Hammer“), Double Attack („Left-Right-Combo“), Stun Attack („Karate Chop“)
    Specialties: Unarmed Attack, Charge, Takedown, Power Attack
    Edges: Deliberate Attack

JUJITSU (Agility):
    Combat Actions: Throw, Takedown, Hold, Escape, Stun Attack („Atemi Strike“)
    Specialties: Block/Parry, Throw, Takedown, Stun Attack
    Edges: Defensive Attack, Dodge

KARATE (Agility):
    Combat Actions: Stun Attack („Atemi Strike“), Forceful Block („Power Block“), Double Attack („Side/Spin Kick“), Reactive Attack, Reactive Defense
    Specialties: Unarmed Attack, Stun Attack, Double Attack, Reactive Attack
    Edges: Deliberate Attack or Martial Artist. Two-handed Fighting may be appropriate as well.

KUNG FU (Agility):
    Combat Actions: Choose 5 Combat Actions beyond the five allowed for all styles.
    Specialties: Choose 3 of your available Combat Actions as possible Specialties.
    Edges: Any, as there are so many sub-styles of Kung Fu

STARFLEET MARTIAL ARTS (Agility):
    Combat Actions: Throw, Hold, Power Attack, All-Out Defense, Disarm
    Specialties: Unarmed Attack, Block/Parry, Throw, Disarm
    Edges: Martial Artist

WRESTLING (Agility):
    [u]Combat Actions: Throw, Takedown („Slam“), Hold („Grab“), Escape
    [u]Specialties: Throw, Takedown, Hold, Escape
    [u]Edges:

MOK BARA (Agility):
    Combat Actions: Charge, Hold, Power Attack („Great Strike“), Reactive Attack, Disarm
    Specialties: Unarmed Attack, Block/Parry, Reactive Attack, Disarm
    Edges: Martial Artist, Deliberate Attack

NAUSICAAN PITFIGHTING (Strength):
    Combat Actions: Charge, Takedown, Stun Attack („Groin Blow“), Power Attack („Bonecrusher“), Double Attack
    Specialties: Unarmed Attack, Charge, Stun Attack, Power Attack
    Edges: Deliberate Attack, High Pain Threshold

TATHAROC („RIGELLIAN KARATE“) (Agility):
    Combat Actions: Throw, Power Attack („Rake Punch“), Double Attack, Forcefull Block, Reactive Attack
    Specialties: Unarmed Attack, Block/Parry, Power Attack, Double Attack
    Edges: Martial Artist

How to build your own styles
    As an example on how to build a combat style from scratch let's just do that. I decide my Centauran character needs some Unarmed Combat skills, but none of the existing styles is exactly what I have in mind, so I am just gonna make up a Centauran Martial Art.

Let's start with a concept. Knowing my character, she would rather learn a martial art that helps her avoid attacks and take out an opponent without hurting him too much. Aikido and Jujitsu sound close enough, but something more acrobatic with lots of dodges and cartwheeling out of harms way strikes me as more interesting.
    With that in mind I decide this style allows a Specialty in Dodge and has All-Out Defense as one of the available Combat Actions. In fact a Specialty in All-Out Defense sounds rather fitting as well, as attack avoidance is one of the key elements of this style. The Dodge edge is a natural choice to round out this style, too.
    But talking only about „this style“ becomes tiresome and I decide to call it Shu Mar. As a rough translation to Federation Standard „how not to be hit“ will do. As a sort of nickname let's call it „Centauran Aikido“ for now.
    As this style depends a lot on the ability to move out of harm's way an Escape will be a usefull addition to Shu Mar, as without it any Hold could deprive a Shu Mar practitioner of many of his best combat options. On the other hand getting close to an opponent is something to be avoided while using Shu Mar, so I'll not allow a Specialty in the Escape Action as this is more for last-ditch efforts and less a regular part of the style.
    Now that we have the defense set let's think about a good offense. Even a defensive style needs some way to take out an opponent, as no one can successfully dodge for ever. Charge, Power Attack and Double Attack are a little too offensive for my taste, but a Throw will do nicely. And as I envision Shu Mar as a style that stresses non-violence the Stun Attack will make a good addition as well, as it causes no permanent harm to an opponent.
    With four Combat Actions selected I notice that almost all other styles have five Actions and I choose Disarm to round out my new martial art.
    Let's just choose two more possible Specialties: Throw and Stun Attack and make a note that Defensive Attack might be a fitting edge for a Shu Mar practitioner and we are all set. All that's needed now is a little background story and here we are:

SHU' MAR („CENTAURAN THAI CHI“) (Agility):
    Combat Actions: Throw, Escape, Stun Attack („Arm/Leg Twist“), All-Out Defense, Disarm
    Specialties: Dodge, Throw, Stun Attack, All-Out Defense
    Edges: Dodge, Defensive Attack

Shu' Mar (lit. „How not to be hit“), known more commonly as „Centauran Thai Chi“, is a relativly new art that was developed after the Plague Years. In light of the new-found peace some Martial Artists felt that the existing combat styles were to agressive and development of a more defensive art was called for. The result is Shu' Mar. Shu' Mar stresses speed and attack avoidance above damaging your opponent. Nevertheless it should not be underestimated as being purely defensive. Anybody who does so can find himself in a lot of pain when going up against a trained practitioner of Shu' Mar. This Martial Art has not spread much beyond Alpha Centauri IV and it's colonies and most people use it more as a way to stay healthy and flexible than as a real form of combat training.

The Stun Attack of Shu' Mar starts by grabing an opponents arm or leg and twisting that limb in a sharp, agonizing motion. As soon as this is done the Shu' Mar fighter lets go of the arm or leg to move away from his enemy again and take a defensive stance again.

Thumbs up

Very very good work Lancer. I really love these rules.

Just one little remark :

Stun Attack: You try to stun your opponent. Make an unarmed attack test. If successful the result of your attack test becomes the TN for a Stamina test by your opponent. If this Stamina test is unsuccessful your opponent is stunned, suffering a –5 penalty for 1d3+your Strength (or Agility) rounds.
    I guess you mean that if the test is unsuccessful, the opponent is effectively stunned for 1D3+Str rounds, while he suffers the penalty if the test is successful (like the stun from a phaser). Or am I missing something here ?

Apart from that, very good rules again, Lancer .
    Now if someone with Acrobat could put that into a nice PDF ?
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Originally posted by C5
    Very very good work Lancer. I really love these rules.
    Thanks.

I guess you mean that if the test is unsuccessful, the opponent is effectively stunned for 1D3+Str rounds, while he suffers the penalty if the test is successful (like the stun from a phaser). Or am I missing something here ?
    No, actualy I meant he only suffers a penalty if he misses the Stamina test.
    While I called it a "stun attack" the effect isn't the same sort of stun effect you suffer from a phaser attack. If it worked that way with the "stun attack" it would IMHO be too efficient when compared to a nerve pinch.
    If you want to change it be my guest, but in that case I strongly suggest a penalty for the attack (like the nerve pinch), in which case it might be best to set the difficulty for the Stamina check independently of the attack test result. Otherwise the Stamina test's difficulty might become too low.

Now if someone with Acrobat could put that into a nice PDF ?
    I can do that, no problem. But first let's wait just a few more days if anyone else has some feedback. I should have time for it one the coming weekend.

No, actualy I meant he only suffers a penalty if he misses the Stamina test.
    While I called it a "stun attack" the effect isn't the same sort of stun effect you suffer from a phaser attack. If it worked that way with the "stun attack" it would IMHO be too efficient when compared to a nerve pinch.
    If you want to change it be my guest, but in that case I strongly suggest a penalty for the attack (like the nerve pinch), in which case it might be best to set the difficulty for the Stamina check independently of the attack test result. Otherwise the Stamina test's difficulty might become too low.
    Ah, OK. You see, I was concerned by the lack of rules for knocking somebody out, so I was glad to find a manoeuver inflicting Stun damage in Unarmed Combat (apart from the Nerve Pinch). I didn't find this too efficient in regard of the Nerve Pinch, since the Nerve Pinch can Stun a character without any Stamina Test, and in your manoeuver, the lack of penalty was balanced by the relatively low difficulty of the Stamina test so I found it OK like that.
    *SHAMELESS PLUG WARNING*
    Anyway, I suggested some house rules for the loss of consciousness in Unarmed Combat, so they could be used in conjonction.

I can do that, no problem. But first let's wait just a few more days if anyone else has some feedback. I should have time for it one the coming weekend.
    No hurry here.
    Terry Pratchett