Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unarmed Combat Styles

Originally posted by C5
    I didn't find this too efficient in regard of the Nerve Pinch, since the Nerve Pinch can Stun a character without any Stamina Test, and in your manoeuver, the lack of penalty was balanced by the relatively low difficulty of the Stamina test so I found it OK like that.
    *SHAMELESS PLUG WARNING*
    Anyway, I suggested some house rules[/URL] for the loss of consciousness in Unarmed Combat, so they could be used in conjonction.
    Actualy I don't think the difficulty of the test is so low, as it is equal to the result of the attack test. Consider these three examples:
    > Martial Arts beginner (skill 2, Agility+0) vs. Joe Average (+0 Stamina reaction). The difficulty for the Stamina test becomes 9 if the attack test is an average 2d6 roll of 7. As Joe Average has no Stamina bonus he would have to roll 9 or more to avoid the penalty. Not too easy if you ask me.
    > Experienced Martial Artist (skill 5, Agility+2) vs. Graaahrg the Nausicaan (Stamina+4). Average attack result is a 14, meaning Graaahrg will have to roll a 10 to avoid the penalty.
    > A Martial Arts Master (skill 10, Agility+2) will inflict the penalty on just about any opponent with an average attack result/stamina reaction difficulty of 19.

One possible change to the Stun Attack that has just crossed my mind would be to have the opponent fall unconscious if he misses the TN for his Stamina test by a large number.
    I'll have to think about it some more and run through some statistics, but I think that would be not too unbalancing.

Originally posted by Lancer
    One possible change to the Stun Attack that has just crossed my mind would be to have the opponent fall unconscious if he misses the TN for his Stamina test by a large number.
    I'll have to think about it some more and run through some statistics, but I think that would be not too unbalancing.
    Well the easiest thing would be to Stun the Character if he missed by a dramatical Failure or more (11 and minus IIRC). Or, as you suggested before, lower the TN to resist Stun by 5; hence average Joe in the first example can very well resist (he needs a 4), same as the Nausicaan (needs a 5), while it will still be difficult to stay conscious with the Martial Arts Master - but not impossible (14 - the Nausicaan needs a 10 and average Joe a double 6 at least or some Courage Points - but that's what I would expect if I was punched by Worf).
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

*Bump*

Is it me, or is it that virtually no one is interested in Unarmed Combat (unless Lancer's rules are so perfect that no one but me found any stupid question to ask about them ) ?
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

What is better a phaser or a punch.
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

Originally posted by Silverthorne
    I'm no fan of Kirk but I think he had some preference for the later, you know
    And as one of the LUG books said : it's easy to nurse some bruises over a glass of synthehol at Quark's but much much harder to bring back to life Ensign Trihsder once he's been desintegrated (always loved this way of putting things).

Oh well, why do I care...
    Terry Pratchett

Originally posted by Silverthorne
    Now that's not as easy to answer as your statement seems to suggest.

In the end it depends on your point of view. If you just want to look at the damage a phaser is better. If you look for a way to recreate what's seen on screen, than both have their uses, the phaser and the fist.

And while you will not have a phaser available in each and every situation, being separated from your feet and fists is a rare occurence.

*Bump* again

And while you will not have a phaser available in each and every situation, being separated from your feet and fists is a rare occurence.
    And then there is the minor issue of what a stray phaser beam or disruptor bolt might vaporize when it misses the character at which it was aimed. The inopportune destruction of a vital system panel or plasma conduit immediately behind the target could render the outcome moot.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

*Bump* again....

But then, the Unarmed Combat Rules are one of the few things that truly disappointed me in CODA.
    Terry Pratchett

I have made a few small refinements to my rules that I haven't posted yet, but these additions are only clarifications, not any new rules. Things like "If you have a Specialty for reactive Attack/Reactive Defense the +2 Specialty bonus applies to the additional attack/defense, not the combat action that grants you this additional action.", and so on.

Maybe I'll get some new ideas after actually using these rules in play, but as our Coda campaign is only a few weeks old I can't say when this will happen.

One thing that's on my mind is the possibility of affinities between Armed and Unarmed Combat styles, but again that's something I may or may not work on in the future.

Lancer wrote:

> Martial Arts beginner (skill 2, Agility+0)
    > Experienced Martial Artist (skill 5, Agility+2)
    > A Martial Arts Master (skill 10, Agility+2)
    This example got me thinking about ranks. Most martial arts have some sort of ranking system. For our taekwon-do school, it would go something like this...

Skill Level 1 = White Belt
    Skill Level 2 = Gold Belt
    Skill Level 3 = Green Belt
    Skill Level 4 = Blue Belt
    Skill Level 5 = Red Belt
    Skill Level 6 = 1st Dan Black Belt
    Skill Level 7 = 2nd Dan Black Belt
    ... and so on ...

Not having a high skill level in Coda, does that make sense?
    "A posse ad esse"

Durf

Double Attack: Make an unarmed attack test. Upon scoring a complete success you may perform another attack (single action, i.e. no Charge or Power Attack) as a free action against the same opponent (TN standard +4). This attack must be performed during the same round the attack was made.

[/B]
    Lancer, my limited sparring experience suggests that this "free action" attack could be perpetuated until the attacker fails. It is common in our do-jang for experienced fighters to get in several unanswered blows until their opponent can block or evade. The difficulty should continue to increase by +4 each time, though! (3rd attack at TN standard +8, 4th at TN +12, etc.)
    "A posse ad esse"

Durf

The <i>Starfleet Operations Manual</i> and <i>The Peacekeeper's Handbook: Soldiers and Diplomats</i> both contain extensive CODA-ized rules for various combat styles (including armed, unarmed, and even some ranged combat techniques).

J.H.

That's cool news, Jesse. Thanks for the info

Mwaaaahh!!!! I want the StarFleet Operations Manual to be released!!! Mwaaaaahhhh!!!!

Hey post 1111... funny
    Terry Pratchett

Well, here's some maneuvers anyway. :)

All-Out Attack
    Armed or Unarmed
    2 actions
    Effect: +4 to hit and +1 damage if successful.

Fast Attack
    Learned maneuver, Armed or Unarmed
    0 actions (Free)
    Effect: Damage is one less, only once per round whether beginning, during or at the end.

Killing Blow
    Learned maneuver, Armed or Unarmed Action
    Effect: -4 to Hit, if an extraordinary success is scored, the target is reduced to the Near Death wound level with one wound box left open. Any lower degree of success does normal damage -4.

Weapon Lock
    Learned Maneuver, Opposed Check
    Effect: A superior success locks the opponent's weapon. Only an opposed Armed combat (opposed strength allowed at narrator discretion) test with a degree of success higher than marginal will free it. While the weapon is locked, the owner suffers a -3 penalty to all physical actions (including to the test to free it) and to Defense. The owner can of course drop the weapon to remove this penalty.