Thread: Lower Decks Campaign

Lower Decks Campaign

Ok..

I have actually convinced my group of D+D players to try Trek. They have good working knowledge of the universe through TNG, a spattering of DS9 and we all hate Voyager so...

We have made characters and everyone is an Ensign except one who is a Lt. JG. They know that they are going to be on the "midnight" shift ob board ship.

The players want lot's of ship to ship combat with other "away" missions thrown in for fun. I have decided that they are on the Cardassian border in 2364 and they are exploring a new sector of space that was given to the Federation when the Tzenkethi treaty was signed. There are two other warp capable peoples in the sector but they have not branched out farther than a few systems.

Any suggestions on how to keep a bunch of frusterated lower deckers busy and having fun would be greatly appreciated.

Ronin84
    "The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -- Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott ("A Taste of Armageddon")

Depends on the departments people are from and on the size of their ship, but some ideas that might work:

The PCs ship picks up a distress call from a civilian freighter. The malfunction of the freighter is easily repaired, but several crewmembers got injured during the accident and the PCs are put on board the freighter as a replacement crew to get the ship to the nearest starbase. Once they are underway with the freighter hit them with pirates, Cardassians, cardassian pirates, etc.

Run them through a holodeck training simulation. Something like the Kobayashi Maru test maybe.

The PCs ship gets into a combat while the PCs are running routine maintenance of the battle bridge (if your ship has one). Once the main bridge sustains a direct hit (or at least goes off-line) they are the only ones in a position to fight back, as they already are on the battle bridge.

While on a routine away mission (get their ship out of the way with one of the usual anomalies, reassignments, etc.) they discover a secret outpost of a hostile power on this planet. To warn Starfleet in time they have to steal a shuttle or small scoutship from the enemy base and escape to the Federation territory. Of course they get chased by some fighters and voila, instant space combat.

Hope that gives you some ideas you find usefull.

One of my best scenarios ever was the very first meeting of my FASA campaign. I had everyone create characters just graduated from SFA, ran them thru a module that included just about everything (starship combat, personal combat, planetary trekking about, diplomacy, a strange plague, etc)... then at the end told them it was all a holodeck simulation. They got to modify their PCs afterwards, or scrap them and start over if they didn't like playing that particular PC. The one who I thought did the best job got promoted to LT (JG).

Everybody got to keep the experience for the adventure, even the people who decided to start a new PC.

It also gave us a chance to practice combat and skill rolls and such before the "real" game started, and gave the players a chance to test-drive their PC concepts.
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.