Thread: Best Adventures

Best Adventures

Moments of Revelation/Moments of Transition

Yesterday I think that I managed to raise the bar for both my group's expectations and what I expect of my group.

I ran a Vampire: The Masquerade session which inverted the plot of The Crow, and placed one of the Coterie {a ganger} as having been involved in a botched initiation raid on a 7-11 which led to a double death. The woma, who died slowly from a head wound aftrer seeing her fiancee killed, returned as one of the Risen, come back to exact vengeance like Eric Draven.

At first, they thought it was merely gang war. Then, they suspected voodoo {this _was_ New Orleans, after all...}, and then finally came face-to-face with the erstwhile victim. The Climax was situated in her flat, where he confronted her and demanded repentance, basically. Demanded to know why, demanded justice, demanded he did something about it. The Player {who I think, who had expected combat instead} tried to evade, but eventually made a blood oath to redeem himself.

By the end, apart from one verbal misstep { ST: 'the rain stops, clouds part, and sunlight streams through the window' Players: 'WHAT? OH SHIT!! }
    - I meant moon -, I actually started getting teary and had to stop for a moment to recompose myself. I actually got an applause. I felt incredible, and better justified in the belief that I can tell good stories.

Now, I know GM's like to swap horror stories {"Roleplayers From HELL"}, but how about something better? How about stories where you recieved a shiver up your spine, out of pure magic, horror, joy, or even sadness?
    "Whom do you serve?"
    "The Truth"
    "What is the truth?"
    "That we are one people, with one voice"
    "Will you follow me into fire, will you follow me into dartkness, will you follow me into death?"
    "Yes"
    "Then follow"
    - Dukhat & Delenn, In the Beginning

I actually got applause from my group for pulling together a 2 year campaign in such a way that all the red herrings, hints, conspiracies, etc. all came together in the last episode so that everything made sense, all the loose ends were tied up, and the action sequence was suitably heart-pounding.

That was my first Trek camapign.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I would have to say that my best campaign, the one I was asked to run, was my L5R. It really ran smoothly and isn't done yet. I hope to pick it up as an online game. One of my players moved out of town. I really had them getting into it.

Originally posted by qerlin
    I actually got applause from my group for pulling together a 2 year campaign in such a way that all the red herrings, hints, conspiracies, etc. all came together in the last episode so that everything made sense, all the loose ends were tied up, and the action sequence was suitably heart-pounding.

Exactly the same here, word for word. (Minus the applause.) Either because my players didn't believe it, didn't notice it or just plain didn't care.
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

"You know this roleplaying thing is awfully silly, let's just roll the dice." - overheard during a D&D 3E game.

Last Sunday I ran the funnest Trek game in a long time.
    Only a couple of people could make it, luckily the security officers (a human ex-borg and a brikar). The episode had already started, an errant Q had turned up for a holiday and the group had to cover her existance up from the upper decks crew.
    Q summoned up a load of Nausicaans who took over the temple district, dinonychus swarmed through the forests below the colony (which my group are collectively working on to get a 3d model of and I'll post it to the site with CODA stats & hooks).
    The pair of security officers also saw a Romulan sneaking around just before an explosion went off next to the security office.
    The rest of the day was spent chasing from Romulan spies and deactivating bombs to Q's pranks and driving them insane.
    After they ignored her for too long she summoned a nearby starship inside the atmosphere dome. Finally the other crew members realised that they could see the Q and what she'd done.
    The proper (John DeLancie) Q turned up and told her off before going off with the captain to figure out a punishment. While waiting, the group tried to stop the Romulan but the ex-borg was accosted by humans who told him that there was an equal presence of Romulan and human spies and not to interfere before beating his character up (say it with me kiddies: Section 31!).
    Q finally left the meeting and said that the continuum were going to give the errant Q the second-worst fate, becoming human. Not only that but all the crew manifests were altered so that the Q was a member of the crew, a diplomatic ensign who has to share a dorm with the players. The look of vengeful joy on their faces...
    Ah well, I've babbled too much, but as a Narrator it was fun.

Charlie E/N

Smile Got a couple...

Well, let see; I’ve got two that really stick out:
    DC Heroes:
    The JLM (Justice League Mobil) was seeking International sanction/status; so they had to plead their case to the UN. The team ‘leader’, a vigilante named ‘Maniac’ had give an address to General Assembly.
    The rest of the players could never have known what was to happen next; when Maniac got up on the podium, he pulled his .44 Magnum from his ‘gauntlet’ (He’s also a ‘Checkmate Knight’) and assassinated an ambassador in front of the Assembly, the Media, the team, basically everybody. Batman was the only one to initially figure out “he didn’t do it…” leading the heroes (all ‘Leaguers’ basically) to help Maniac escape.
    Maniac then ditched his ID for a short time becoming ‘Dark Hunter’, for the duration of finding the guy who set him up.
    Thing was/is: Maniac was ‘in’ on it (the player wanted a break from the character and I had an idea/plan). And you sould have seen the other player’s jaws drop when ‘he’ mercilessly gunned down the ambassador (two in the heart, one in the head…if I remember). The shouts of “What the hell are you doing!?!?!”, mixed with the fact I had him roll ‘his’ shots…priceless, absolutely priceless

Trek-wise:
    I ran a game where the ship’s main computer core was struck by a massive energy spike from a novaing pulsar star; which said ship was studying. All systems were either: operating at minimal capacity, op. on manual, or failing (somtimes in combinations).
    It became one huge story of survival, character development (characters had use skills that they normally didn’t/wouldn’t in their job), and teamwork (“You have to get to Engineering and ‘reactivate’ me.” “I’m security not engineering” “It’s ok, I’ll ‘walk’ you through it”). In the end, the player that really doesn’t care for Star Trek said “Good game.” Which is worth a blue ribbon any day.
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

My second Trek game... ever. Also my first diceless game... ever.

I answered an add in the local paper looking for local players, well at that point I had a group but no game, so I brouhgt the guys and we met Mike.

So we started playing with pre-designed characters, from the Bajoran statoin commander to the Vulcan sciences... All of us were dubious, but we thought to see how it went.

Mike also rigged a soundtrack, recording Trek and incidental music to run in the background. Somehow everything gelled and the dream campaign began as we told the story of DS7, a cross breed campaign based of elements of the rumoured upcoming new series DS9 and the TNG episode 'Home Ground'? i think thats the one with the terrorists?

The best ever episode that sticks in my mind? The 'time and again' episode where we were caught in a time loop playing the same 90 minutes over and over (90 minutes was the length of the soundtrack tape), and it moved like it was scripted with everyone roleplaying the deja-vu or ignorance perfectly, and the game only took 5 revolutions before we solved it and put the world to rights...

Thanks Mike, thanks guys. It was an experience.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by qerlin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly the same here, word for word. (Minus the applause.) Either because my players didn't believe it, didn't notice it or just plain didn't care.

It was indeed exactly the same...(and a VERY WEIRD campaign, yes one could say...DIZZY)

BTW he got applause (at least mine) but did'n notice (he's always so dizzy...)
    and yes even today I cannot believe how everything turned out and really fits together!

R.
    Last night i merely escaped assimilation...i saw a box with big letters on it: "1 of 2"...
    now im looking for the rest of the borg here around...

Chello!

There is nothing overall that gets a lot of comment from my players. It's the little tidbits and tweaking I do to backgrounds and adventures. For instance, having paladins in ADnD be members of the Order of St Michael (Archangel) and then have stuff happen to them..they occasionally hear the rustle of wings or have visitaions from the saint. Things that don't mean much in the big scheme or go beyond what the rules say.

Now, for games I've been in, there was a FASA Trek game once where I ended up being the captain of the ship. Nobody else wanted to, and I had rolled up an Andorian comm officer (). By GM fiat since I was "THE" Trekkie of the group, he had me add the command school package to my PC and then I was in the big chair. Damn.

Well, one of our first missions was a "Red October" scenario. Won't go into all the details, but a Fed captain was trying to auction off something similar to the Defiant (in 1990!) to the highest bidder in the Triangle. We were going head to head with a Klingon D7--we were in a Northhampton class ship.

I decided to bluff the Klingon captain who ~thought~ he had the upper hand! Well, I RP-ed it out, using my personal knowledge of Andorian and Klingon warrior culture and made this grandiose speech. I rolled. The Klingon was dumbfounded...basically "He's not afraid of me . . . should I be afraid of him?"

Then my (real) gf at the time pipes up (in character on the bridge!) with: "Excuse me, Captain Pooh Bear?" I'm sure the look on my face was priceless because the laughter went on for 10 minuutes!

Needlessly to say, the Klingon was no longer impressed with my prowess.

Tony

EDIT: Clarity & spelling.
    Last edited by Lord Kjeran; 07-04-2002 at 08:12 PM.
    Anthony N. Emmel, M.A.
    Learned Scholar & Catholic Gentleman

U.S.S. Victory NCC-1760
    "England expects that every man will do his duty."