Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Ship Dedication Quotes

Perrryyy Guest
    USS Armstrong - Wonder if there is life on another planet? Let's suppose there is. Suppose further, that only one star in a trillion has a planet that could support life. If that were the case, then there would be at least 100 million planets that harbored life. — Ben Sweetland

Our Campaign was set during and now following the Dominion war.

Their ship was the USS INDEPENDANCE, a defiant class starship that bore the motto

Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor, it must be demanded by the oppressed
    by Martin Luther King

Following the War I am using the STARBASE 315 template a basis for the next step of the game and along with the Defiant they have a Talon class the USS TALON and borrowing the Eclipse class design from this site , I am assigning the USS ECLIPSE herself(My apoligies to the designer if he has another quote in mind or he/she does not like mine )

USS TALON -

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
    by Carl Sagan

USS ECLIPSE -
    Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand.
    by Neil Armstrong

Dedication Plaques are something I always try to use to add flavor to my craft in the game..

GREAT THREAD

Capt. Pike:
    "I'm tired of being responsible for 203 lives. I'm tired of deciding who goes on the landing party and who doesn't... and who lives... and who dies. "

How about;

"We came in peace, for all mankind."
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

USS Aeschylus

"We are but a crumb in the banquet of the universe."

How about this one:

"This is what the Recruiter didn't tell you . . ."

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Some random dedications from my stockpile to use for shuttlecraft (If I ever manage to run a Trek game again. ):

USS Garcia: "What a long strange trip it's been."

USS Tolkien: "The road goes ever on and on ..."

USS Eclipse: "See you on the dark side of the moon." I actually used this one for the players' ship the last time I ran a game.

USS Python: "Always look on the bright side of death." Sorry, had to have a goofy one.

USS Quayle: "You say potato ..." OK, two goofy ones.

USS Kurtz: "Like a diamond bullet ..."

USS Geoffrion: "Boom ... boom."

USS Johnson: "Her front teeth are lined with gold."

Cheers,

Steve
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

USS General MacAuliffe (make it a troop carrier, or something)
    "Nuts"
    - General MacAuliffe (when asked to surrender during the Battle of the Bulge, 1944)

I dunno why (sure, and you're Pope John Paul II ), but this has always stuck in my mind, ever since I heard it mentioned years ago!

Best Regards,
    Roger Stenning
    http://www.the-isg.co.uk

Ok, I thought I'd make a contribution to this thread, as I've found many of the quotes to be pretty good (good enough to 'borrow' them for my own game use! ) After digging through some old files, here are some ships, and their dedications, that have been used in games that I've played in, or ran...

• USS Leviathan (Galaxy-class): "Justice consists in taking from no man what is his." - Thomas Hobbes
    • USS Virtuous (Olympic-class): "No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." - Aesop
    • USS Titan (Titan-class): "Who overcomes by force, hath but overcome half his foe." - John Milton
    • USS Voyager-B (Intrepid-class, Type II (Voyager) variant): "Oh Captain! My Captain! Our fearful trip is done, the ship has weathered every rack, the prize we sought is won." - Walt Whitman
    • USS Trailblazer (Intrepid-class): "I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts." - Herman Melville
    • USS Guardian (Sovereign-class): "He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine
    • USS Sentinel (Sovereign-class): "What stands if freedom fall?" -Rudyard Kipling
    • USS Courageous (Galaxy-class): "Often the test of courage is not to die but to live." - Vittorio Alfieri
    • USS Newton (Nova-class): "If I have seen further...it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants." - Bernard of Chartres
    • USS Paradox (Polarity-class timeship): "Time present and time past, are both perhaps present in time future, and time future contained in time past?" - T.S. Eliot

Those are the ones that I could find, though I know I've got more floating around somewhere. Whenever I come across a good quote, I make a note of it, and, if appropriate, match it with a starship. It really seems to add a nice bit of flavor to a game, I think.

Greg

From Star Trek: The Line in the Stars
    Seven Seasons, takes place 8 years after the end of Dominion War.

USS Courageous
    Avatar Class Fast Frigate, Starfleet Intelligence Naval Division
    Captain Alexandra Polanski
    "For evil to triumph it is only necessary for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

USS Vengeance
    Akira Class, 7th Fleet
    Captain James Patrick Mason
    "Seek victory before you seek battle..." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

USS Typhoon
    Akira Class, 7th Fleet
    "Honor and courage are a warrior's right and left hands ..." - Unknown

USS Arcadia
    Science Vessel
    "The man who learns only what others know, is as ignorant as if he learns nothing. The treasures of knowledge are the most rare, and guarded most harshly." - Unknown

USS Einstein
    Science Vessel
    "There are those to whom knowledge is a shield, and those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise." - Unknown
    Captain Alexandra Polanski
    CO, USS Archangel (flag of 7th Fleet, RRTF operations)

Perrryyy Guest
    USS Titanic

All the water in the world cannot drown you — unless it gets inside. — Mary Manin Boggs

(Miranda Class) USS Rodger Young - NCC 14837 - "Shines the name...

USS Farpoint (Soverign class):

"We surrender."

(The devil made me do it)
    Rick

"I'm a soldier, not a diplomat. I can only tell you the truth."

-James T. Kirk
    "Errand of Mercy"

Perrryyy Guest
    Explorer vessel (can't think of a ship name at the moment, but had to use the quote)

The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest. — Kilgore Trout

Perrryyy Guest
    Watch the stars, and from them learn. To the Master's honor all must turn, each in its track, without a sound, forever tracing Newton's ground. — Albert Einstein

Another explorer type maybe?

My movie era campaign is based on the USS Excalibur.
    The original Royal Navy vessel had, in Latin, "Steadfast for God, King, and Country" or pretty darn close.

Sadly, my Latin is a tad rusty. Anyone have a clue here? In fact, any suggestions are welcome. (For one entre minute, the motto was "Pass the dramamine." Fortunately, we got sane again.)

Thanks in advance!
    Rick

"I'm a soldier, not a diplomat. I can only tell you the truth."

-James T. Kirk
    "Errand of Mercy"