Thread: The Starship Victory

The Starship Victory

The Triangle, a disputed sector.

These are the continuing missions of the Starship Victory, her mandated directive: to protect Federation citizens, to combat piracy along the space lanes, to guard the Federation from alien invasion.
    This is the opening monologue for the series I'm putting together. Borrowing from FASA Trek, I'm using the Triangle, a lawless semi-autonomous sector that the Federation, the Klingons, and the Romulans all claim. The mission will involve military actions, diplomacy, espionage, covert ops...that sort of thing.

The ship is the newly-launched USS Victory, NCC-1760, a Constitution-class ship. The time is early in the second season of TOS. The ruleset is 80% likely to be Where No Man Has Gone Before. It looks like a nice, easy to run system. That said, it might morph into FASA or CODA Trek before we start.

The ship dedication plaque:

USS Victory
    Starfleet registry NCC-1760
    San Francisco Fleet Yards, Earth
    Commissioned: Stardate 2366.294
    "England expects that every man will do his duty."
    I hope to have fun with this.

Incidentally, I always used to read (get a player to read) an "opening crawl" with the opening theme playing in the background for my Star Wars game. So, I wanted to do the the opening monologue for my new Trek series. What actually gave me the inspiration for doing something rather than the standard "Space, the final frontier...." was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBU_--2qkeY

I figure if a fan series can break the mold, so can I!

So, I'll read the first one and then get a different player to read it with the opening theme of TOS each week. I know in star Wars, when the music cued up, that was the signal that we were starting. It usually helped everyone focus. Usually.
    Last edited by Lord Kjeran; 10-15-2011 at 03:11 PM.
    Anthony N. Emmel, M.A.
    Learned Scholar & Catholic Gentleman

U.S.S. Victory NCC-1760
    "England expects that every man will do his duty."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Kjeran View Post
    Incidentally, I always used to read (get a player to read) an "opening crawl" with the opening theme playing in the background for my Star Wars game. So, I wanted to do the the opening monologue for my new Trek series. What actually gave me the inspiration for doing something rather than the standard "Space, the final frontier...." was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBU_--2qkeY

I figure if a fan series can break the mold, so can I!

So, I'll read the first one and then get a different player to read it with the opening theme of TOS each week. I know in star Wars, when the music cued up, that was the signal that we were starting. It usually helped everyone focus. Usually.
    Your series sounds like a lot of fun, and I love your intro ideas, LK! I've seen the SW crawl used when playing in that universe, and I try to have a captain's log read at the start of every Trek session. Little things like that can really add to the ambience and 'feel' of the session.
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

"Previously, on Battlestar Galactica..." Yeah, that can work.

I tried (a LONG time ago) to do a Triangle campaign. It bombed, badly, because I was dealing with teenaged testosterone overloads.

But I can see such a 'show' working thanks to 25+years life experience. I wish you luck!