Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prime Directive is out.

Prime Directive is out.

GURPS Prime Directive has shipped and should be in stores any day now. It can be found online as well, at the publisher's (ADB's) store:

http://www.starfleetstore.com/MERCHA...duct_Code=8001

and SJ Games Warehouse 23:

http://www.warehouse23.com/item.cgi?ADB8001

I have my copy already (got an early shipment since I did the deck plans of the Free Trader that are in it). It looks really good (so I'm a little biased), with very very few typos or errors. It has about 40 different racial templates (lots of aliens), a map (taken from one of ADB's other games, Federation and Empire), and a warp scale for finding travel times. A story, and a matching sample adventure as well. Not very much equipment (hand phaser/disruptors, communicators, various tricorders, and a couple of other items), but they plan to do more in expansion materials. It includes the GURPS light rules so you don't need other GURPS books to play, or just use it as a source for background info for other systems.

Worth a look at least, even if you don't play GURPS.

I agree... even if you don't lik ethe SFB univers you can use much of what is in there to play "GURPSTrek"... GURPS is my favorite system for most roleplaying genres, except "high fantasy" and "superhero".
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by calguard66
    I agree... even if you don't lik ethe SFB univers you can use much of what is in there to play "GURPSTrek"... GURPS is my favorite system for most roleplaying genres, except "high fantasy" and "superhero".
    I picked it up and took a look. I'm not a GURPS fan, so it had some hurdles, and I just wasn't impressed. 81 points just to be Vulcan??? Are you kidding?
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

While I may pick up any adventure modules they produce, my lack of enthusiasm for the SFB universe tends to put me off a bit. I have no doubt ADB have produced a fine game, but their take on Trek just isn't my thing. Besdis, I see n oreason to fork out for yet another system, when I'm perfectly happy with CODA

Not to mention, they seem to be marketing this as a Trek game, which it isn't really, IMHO. Trek alternate universe, maybe. Each to their own I guess.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Cool

I picked up my copy yesterday and I'm generally impressed with it. I play a lot of GURPS (Transhuman Space, Swashbucklers, etc) so I knew I'd be getting it.

Art: So, so. Pretty typical ADB art, but no consistency on what uniforms look like and so on.

Layout: Okay, but I began to get a bit tired of the continual disclaimers about what the SFB universe is and isn't.

Character Creation: The templates and packages are great. The only nit I might pick is that you pretty much have to be a 'boy scout' to be in Star Fleet.

Rules: Hey, its GURPS.

Point of contention: Whatever happened to ADB's agreement with Franz Joseph? Is it not applicable to this particular publication? Does this mean that we will probably not see Saladin's, Ptolemy's, or Federation class ships? Just curious...

Roundup: I like a lot of the concepts behind Prime Directive. I feel that as a divergent, alternate universe, SFB is perfectly viable- if a bit bloody. I especially like the concept of Prime Teams and heartily wish that mainstream Trek had them (maybe Elite Force...). I didn't waste my money.
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

Originally posted by Cmdr Powers
    Point of contention: Whatever happened to ADB's agreement with Franz Joseph? Is it not applicable to this particular publication? Does this mean that we will probably not see Saladin's, Ptolemy's, or Federation class ships? Just curious...

Roundup: I like a lot of the concepts behind Prime Directive. I feel that as a divergent, alternate universe, SFB is perfectly viable- if a bit bloody. I especially like the concept of Prime Teams and heartily wish that mainstream Trek had them (maybe Elite Force...). I didn't waste my money.
    I saw this at Origins, and decided not to bother picking it up then - I might grab it in a few weeks. The cover is gorgeous, but the internal layout is appalling (SFB-style numbered paragraphs), and I'm afraid that kind of thing puts me off.

That said, I'll probably get it for the content anyway The use of templates is an encouraging start!

Originally posted by Cmdr Powers
    Ask ADB and they'll probably tell you all that info is in the SFB books. Why should they waste space repeating everything in a new format? I'd bet they're intending that you use SFB for combat resolution.
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

The various Franz Joseph designs are still part of the SFU, and will show up now and then. The Constitution class (although that's not really Franz Joseph) is described in the core book.

They give you two options for space combat, they give you rules for characters to interact with SFB, and they give rules for using some SFU ships in the GURPS Space 3E combat system.

The only downside is you must have the rules for either one or the other (or some other third party system) to do space combat, there is no complete space combat system in the core book, just ways to use the system of your choice should you happen to own it.

They fully realize that many people won't want to use SFB, and they are not trying to "force" anyone to (not that they could).

And there is plenty of info reprinted directly from SFB products in the core GURPS PD book, since they also realise that the RPG crowd isn't going to want to buy $400 of SFB stuff to be able to roleplay in GURPS, anything background from SFB that is appropriate to the RPG will be combined with RPG stuff in future RPG expansions.

If you like any of the stuff from the SFU, or just GURPS trek of your own making, or both, this is of interest to you. If you hate both (SFB/SFU and GURPS), then you probably wouldn't get anything out of it.

Nick

I plan on converting some of the old FASA mods and running them with GURPS:PD...

I have to admit that the Starfleet of the SFU is organized more the way I think it should be.

I think I'll be using SFU organizations and races with the normal Trek history and background.

Well it must be a step up from the original , with a far better combat resolution matrix. I'll be getting a copy here shortly.
    We Fight To Enrich The Spirit. (qa' aIje'meH maSuv):House Motto.

I bought GURPS:PD, just as I've bought nearly every version of TREK rpg since FASA, except Decipher as I'm waiting for the Limited Edition version.... I already had the 1st edition of PD and I really have to wonder why they took the direction of a "powered by GURPS" rather than just launch a series of worldbooks. GURPS lite is a free download, and nearly every gaming store I've every been to has it as a freebie......

I like PD, I like the militant tone, kind of refreshing after years of watching the ultra politically correct, and often dull Next Generation. It makes for a great alternate universe, kind of a kinder, gentler Mirror Mirror, which is how we've used the material since the original Star Fleet Battles materials were released. The material can also be used as hologram programs for those who enjoy "battles that might have been", or Academy tests to see how cadets respond to high stress situations where diplomacy and "feeling their pain" just doesn't solve the problem.

I like the races, lots and lots of races. I just wish that PD gave more information on them -- homeworlds, culture, factions, styles of combat, ship names; the little details that flesh out a rpg from a tabletop wargame. And PD has strong tabletop roots, obviously. Ironically, PD suffers from the reverse problem usually faced by rpgs -- a strong ship combat system and a weak roleplaying system. This was painfully true with the 1st edition rules, they were a mess. GURPS is a well played, but let's face it, complicated mess -- I own nearly 100 GURPS books, god help me, and there are just too many rules to look up between them to make using GURPS as system worthwhile. But the bang for the buck from the average GURPS worldbook more than makes up for any quibbles I might have a about a rules system I don't use anyways.

However. Unless I missed something really obvious -- where are the conversion notes for PD to GURPS and back again?.... It's a bit silly and annoying that I might have to wait for another book to get a page worth of conversion notes -- hmm, you're saying, if you don't use the systems why do you need the notes -- well, the created characters are a lot easier to use if you can convert them into your own system, quickly...The Conspiracy X GURPS book had a whole chapter on converting characters....

So, if you've made it this far -- thanks. You're survived a sermon, nitpicking and a rant ;-) seriously though, the book is a great start, and I really look forward to the species books and would have a heck of a chuckle if the GURPS: PD Klingons book arrives before the Decipher one....till later.

If you look closely, it's GURPS Lite with some modification... Psionics especially.

ADB mentioned somewhere, on their site I think, that they wanted to market to 3 categories of players. RPGers, SFBers, and non-players. Two of the 3 require that they include basic rules.

I am REALLY stoked about GURPS:PD. Now to find a group in Sacramento interested in playing. Any takers?

PS: On the ADB site boards they mention than many of their retailers have sold out and placed new orders, including some of their biggest buyers. Looks like it's selling well.

Prime Directive

Various comments. (I am the head of the company that published it.)

Conversion data for old PD1 will be in Module Prime Alpha. We may have this ready early and will put it on the web site. We went with GURPS because the old PD1 game system didn't sell and by using GURPS we start with a few thousand hard-core GURPS fans who will buy it.

ADB-style rule numbered paragraphs: Not really. Rule numbers in SFB go down as far as (C3.245b) but in GPD there are only chapter numbers (e.g., Chapter 7 is technology) with each Chapter divided into two-eight sections (e.g., 7.4 personal equipment). The RTs (50 of them) have a third number just so you can tell when a new empire starts.

Franz Joseph Stuff: It will be there. Remember that the first book is only 176 pages and we just had a dozen sample starships out of the 3000 starships in SFB.

Consistency of uniform art: The book covers a period more than a century long. Uniforms change over time. Do you think US Army uniforms in 2002 look like the ones in 1975 or the ones in 1945?

While RPG players don't do a lot of space combat, we did provide you all the rules you need for Space-3 and SFB, and we have a guy working on the conversion for Space Opera.

More info on races will be in future books. This one is ONLY 176 pages and nobody said we would only do one book, and nobody claimed that one book would cover everything.

I Got my copy Yesterday, Like it much better that PD1 (Since I already play GURPS). and I'm a Long Time SFB'er

Karg

Got mine a few days back...

Picked up GPD at Magic Mirror in Oakville, ON. I must say I'm impressed. I own all of the original PD1 stuff, but never really played it, as I found the system a little wonky.

"Powered by GURPS" seems like a good approach, as I can use all those GURPS worldbooks I have to throw some curves into an adventure.

As to the SFB universe, I really enjoy it. I've never played SFB, or any of the other games. My entire exposure to it has been as a fan of Trek RPGs of any kind. SFU is cool because they don't have to worry about consistency with an ever-changing TV\Movie series.

Of course, I've also picked up the FASA, LUG versions as well, and will probably grab the Decipher one in a few months too.

Great product, looking forward to all of the supplements.

Peter

As some people have mentioned. GPD is targeted at 3 groups of players and juggling things to make them useful to everyone was a little tricky, but I think we struck a good balance.

One of the first upcoming supplements is going to be Module Prime Alpha, a product similar to the Captain's Log line for SFB, in that it's going to a regular series of smoragabourd style sourcebook. MPA is in development, but till include things like fiction, more equipment, additional advantages, disadvantages, and skills, more ships converted for Space 3/e combat, capsule settigns for adventures, quite prob a set of deck plans, and assorted articles on different aspects of the SFU (nothing promised, but some things under consideration included a port of the Vulcan Psi Paths from PD1 and more detailed write-ups for Andromedan robots).

Beyond that, there's several things under consideration: The Klingons, Romulans and Federation will be getting their own sourcebooks (with Klingons being first). The Lyrans, Kzintis, and off-shots will be combined, other races are kinda floating till we figure out what format to them. Other proposed things include a techbook, cardboard heroes-style miniatures, metal miniatures, deckplans, and more. We're open to ideas, and the order in part will be influence by what people say they want, so feel free to drop by the ADB boards and let us know what you want!

http://www.starfleetgames.com/discus/
    Alex Chobot