Thread: Star Trek: Commonwealth

Star Trek: Commonwealth

I've decided to run an incarnation of my Star Trek: Commonwealth campaign as a PBEM. (whether or not this will end up being a live game is highly questionable.) I am new to PBEMs, so I may not have the best grasp on the format but I hope to provide an interesting game.

The Premise
    The Daedalus-class U.S.S. Commonwealth, NCC-118, has been assigned to planet Akaria IV, as part of the Federation Cultural Attache Team currently evaluating that planet for membership. The ship will act as protection and troubleshooter for the region, including the system and nearby space (such as the local nebula, NGC0042).

The Rules
    This PBEM will use the CODA rules, but will go light on rolls in favor of roles.

The Characters
    The following rules must be followed when you submit your character:

Available Races:
    Andorian
    Betazoid (this continuity has Betazed join the Federation early as they must be pretty close to the core worlds as established in DS9)
    Human
    Vulcan (may not be Starfleet Officer profession - Spock did it first, a hundred years from now)

Orion with good backstory

Convincing arguments will be considered for Romulans (agent disguised as a Vulcan - must be willing to suicide distructively before uncovered) or surgically-altered Klingon.

All Professions available
    All positions - Captain, XO, Engineer, Science, Doctor, Security/Tactical, Diplomatic, Merchant (Economic Liason), etc.

The Process
    If you are interested, write up a character (9-12 advancements). Email it to thotpaulece@hotmail.com - if I like it, I'll approve you to join at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/usscommonwealth/)

To use the series profile from the NG:

SETTING
    Era: Early Federation (2165-?)
    Region: Akaria Sector (11 LY from Earth)
    Traveling: Starship, shuttles, early transporter

CREW
    Organization: Starfleet and various
    Missions: Varied (Diplomatic, Investigative)
    Composition: Multi-Species, multi-profession (mostly Starship Officers)

BASE OF OPERATIONS
    Base Type: Mobile, with permanent assignment; Daedalus-class U.S.S. Commonwealth

TECHNOLOGY
    Era Technology: 22nd century
    Available Technology: Federation

ADVERSITY
    Threat and Opposition: Various
    Crisist and =Disaster: Terrorism and various

FEEL
    High-Sprited Idealism Questioned

Y'know for an instant there, I thought this was going to be a sort of Star Trek/Andromeda fusion

Neat idea. A campaign set during the Federation's early years could be a good one.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Can we start off with no advancements? And being an Ensign?

If you feel like going with 0 advancements, feel free. The 9-12 is basically a cap for those who are interested in "bridge crew" characters. Make sure you have a good background, and take the time-frame into account: fresh ensigns are pretty much the first class(es) out of the Acadamy. Think "wide-eyed enthusiasm".