Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Klingon Nature

Klingons in Disguise?

Originally posted by Imagus
    The only problem is that they all, Kang in particular, seem to have reputations as fairly straighlaced warriors. Getting involved in this kind of shenanigans might stain one's honour...
    Yeah. That part doesn't seem exactly right to me either, for exactly that reason. But I like it a little more than the "upgrade" idea. In defense of the disguise theory, desperate times can lead to desperate measures. And who's to say that their activities were publicly known? Maybe the Council classified all such activities, so that if asked about it, even a Klingon who knew the full story wouldn't talk about it with outsiders.

At any rate, all this stuff is great. I love Klingon forehead theories. They're like the conspiracy theories of Trekdom.

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton
    Not quite. IN TNG, the Duras sisters are told that women may not sit on the High Council. This is curious in that there are at least two female Council members in the scene...
    Ah. I must have misremembered the line/situation. Though not everyone in the room was actually ON the Council. Maybe those were the Klingon equivalent of personal secretaries?

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton
    <i}"In TNG it is established that females cannot serve as Chancellor."</i>

Not quite. IN TNG, the Duras sisters are told that women may not sit on the High Council. This is curious in that there are at least two female Council members in the scene... I put this down as a very transparent rationalisation by Gowron to keep the House of Duras off the Council.
    Ah. That would make sense to me. Because didn't someone try to bribe Alexander's mother (I forget her name) with "a seat on the Council"? Don't ask me the name of the episode; I think it was when they were trying to decide if Gowron or Duras would become the next chancellor.

I don't think secretaries would be standing in a half circle behind the Chancellor with the High Council members... Note, however, that according to DS9, women are not normally allowed to head a House, but special dispensation was given to Grilka, so presumably the female Council members had been similarly rewarded.

Keh'leyr wasn't a Klingon citizen - she was a Federation diplomat, so even if the Klingons were handing out Council seats as bribes, I suspect she wouldn't be a candidate. Certainly, the Federation would take a dim view of one of their ambassadors taking a job with a foreign government, even a nominal ally.

Unhappy Don't hate me

Just want to say that if the word for outsiders is Hur'q, then it is pronounced like Kirk , but the apostrophe indicates a glottal stop or a more guttural pronunciation of the following letter. No, I am not one of the KLI guys and I am not trying to say that this is the way and the only way, just thought that this was an interesting permutation.
    That said, I have only one more thing to add.

"Tootie"

I should mention that my job has driven me quite mad.
    I think, therefore I...<BELLLLCCCHH> oops. ^_^