Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LOTR RPG Press Release

I'll definately be buying this. Looks really good, and the fact that it uses the CODA system makes it quite an appealing product.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Originally posted by Capt Daniel Hunter
    I'll definately be buying this. Looks really good, and the fact that it uses the CODA system makes it quite an appealing product.
    Oh yeah. LOTR rocks! And just to stroke a few egos, let it beknown that TPTB have been listening to you! Pretty much every complaint oviced about the Trek PG was addressed in the LOTR Core Book. From organization to condensation.

I can't wait to see it in color...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

"Ringing Anvils and Rhymes of Lore" has to be one of the most evocative chapter titles ever seen in an RPG core book. I like it. Gives flavor to the mechanics.

I may have to pick this up even if I don't really feel like my life absolutely needs a new fantasy game system. I find Coda to be an elegant and coherent system, and oh man, that page preview makes me want to see more.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra

Personally, I think it'll make a nice alternative to D20 D&D.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Originally posted by Capt Daniel Hunter
    Personally, I think it'll make a nice alternative to D20 D&D.
    Could be. When I say I find Coda "elegant and coherent," I'm thinking "more elegant and coherent than D20 D&D," although the latter is a real improvement on earlier editions. D20 is still a little trapped in the mechanical idiosyncrasies that D&D has always had (geometric XP progressions, armor abstracted into defense rating, escalating hit points that abstract toughness, fatigue, experience and luck into one number, and so on). I think Coda has started with a similar mechanical basis and lightly skipped over all of those oddities. I really like the linear advancement system, for example; it makes it much, much easier to balance encounters the way you want them.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra

Arrow

I'm going to get LOTR RPG, even if I'm currently an avid d20 gamer. Sometimes it helps to try something new or different once in a while. That's the only way I can stay interested in my hobby of RPGs.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Thumbs up Bring it on, Baby!

Like many others, I've been waiting for this game a long time. You can be sure I'll snatch the sucker up faster than a streaker running across the court at Wimbeldon.

Last year I started a yahoo group for the RPG. Here's the link for anyone interested. There isn't much traffic for obvious reasons -- no game to talk about for the last 9 or so months since I started the list. I imagine that should change rather soon.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lotrrpg_coda/

I can hardly wait for the LotR section to move into its home here at the TrekRPGNet site.

Steve

For those interested, there are more preview shots of the book over at Decipher .

This book looks fantastic. From what I've read, it may be the answer to my fantasy RPG needs (d20 isn't working for me).

I'm eager to get this tome into my hands, though I wonder if it would be better to hold out for the LE...

More new stuff's been posted to the above link, including the first two pages for Chapter 12, "The Fear and the Shadow." Cool stuff!

Can't wait for this book!

Looking better and better. Another must buy. Damn