Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Romulan SRM

Romulan SRM

Now that the TOS SRM is out, I'm curious as to the current standing of the Romulan SRM. Is it still in proofreading, or has it moved on from there?

The testreading and such was done a long time ago. I just have to find the time to make the corrections and get the manuscript ready for final layouts. That won't be for a while yet -- but people have the SRM: TOS ERA to chew on for a while.

Steve Long
    HERO System Line Developer

Cool. Was just curious, no hurry of course.

Thumbs up D'deridex Statistics

Hi Steve,

First off I would like to thank you for the DWS-A great effort-top quality and should be published.

I'm curious about how you decide statistics like crew complement
    and deck size. In paticular with the D'deridex class Warbird-do you use just Icon/Coda Rpg based statistics or do you draw from other (Non -RPG) "official" sources.

The Nemesis internet site has listed the first non-rpg statistics I mean as in precise numbers for a Warbird-

1,650 crew, 115 decks.

Given that most "official" sources are vague,in most cases just approximations-this stands out. Would you use them in place of the established Icon/Coda statistics? The LUG warbird is listed as:

Crew: 1,700, 83 decks.

This has me wondering the crew figures are so close where do the RPG people get their info-or is it possible that the Nemesis site is taking from the RPG info!

I in anycase eagerly await the Romulan SRM

"To be honest, my opinion of starfleet officers is so low. You would have to work very hard indeed, to disappoint me."

Senator Vreenak to Sisko.

Where there's no canonical information, typically we make the best estimate we can based on what we do know, comparisons to other ships, and so on. There's no secret repository of information that licensees get ahold of, sadly. My guess is that the Nemesis info comes from the same source -- educated guesswork.

Steve Long

Steve

Thanks for the prompt reply.

(Sigh) I was hoping there would be this mysterious repository of Warbird information

In anycase may I ask how you came up with your statistics for the warbird? I mean the your process of educated deduction

While I have got your attention, can you give me a hint of how many different classes of ships you have in the Romulan SRM?

Do you ever base any on those Star Trek Computer Game ship designs or the old FASA game?
    "To be honest, my opinion of starfleet officers is so low. You would have to work very hard indeed, to disappoint me."

need images for the romulans SRM cover

Hi everybody.
    Is somebody able to provide me 3D views (not the plans) of the romulan ships featured in the "Way Of D'Era".
    Thx
    Alexandre
    Ex Astris Scientia
    http://alex.trekrpg.free.fr

In anycase may I ask how you came up with your statistics for the warbird? I mean the your process of educated deduction
    Well, there's not really that much to it. I simply watched all the episodes I could find with Romulan ships in them, making note of anything I considered important. Then I read whatever material I could find on the subject that seemed worth reading (like the Star Trek Fact Files or Star Trek: The Magazine, to name just two), and again made notes. Then I reviewed all my notes and statted up the ship appropriately, sometimes making comparisons to ships I considered roughly equivalent, to make sure there was a relative degree of parity.

While I have got your attention, can you give me a hint of how many different classes of ships you have in the Romulan SRM?
    There are 21 military ships, two civilian ships, and four allied/threat vessels (including two Taurhai ships) -- in addition, of course, to the usual ship type analysis and ship construction chapters.

Thanks Steve for the SRM information.

I have some more questions (Sorry to be a pest)

Are you going to wait until Nemesis comes out and incorperate the Reman vessel in the SRM? The "Script" (Yes I know this is highly dubious-but it does tend to be supported by the Trailer/Images and text officialy released so far.) has Worf reciting its weapon capabilities: Its Disruptors are listed to number in their 50's! If this is the case, would you construct the ship to match those-as it comes from on screen?

Another tidbit that came from the Nemesis site: There are Advanced Warbirds that are faster-thats not a direct quote-does the LUG/Coda system allow for "Uprating" a ships statistics to reflect that?

Do you utilise or consider the Star Trek Deep Space Nine Technical Manual and the Star Trek The Next Generation Technical Manual as a good source information?

I don't have specific plans to wait on NEMESIS, but if I don't get the book out before then, I'll definitely incorporate whatever information is available. If they've got as many disruptors as you say, they'll probably blow my SU limits for various Size categories right outta the water, but no system's perfect.

It's certainly possible to "upgrade" a Spacedock starship. It's usually just a matter of swapping one system for another; most ships have enough SUs left over for expansion/alteration that it doesn't cause problems.

I generally consider the Tech Manuals good sources of info, and as close to canon as you can get without actually being on the screen. Some allowance has to be made for divergence between the books and the shows, or for various errors in the books, but generally I find them to be excellent information sources. I hope Rick Sternbach can eventually work out a deal for a Voyager TM, but I'm not holding out any hope.

Steve Long

The Scimitar Stats

Hi Steve

I forgot I have used your system of SU's to make a "Mirror Universe" Galaxy Class for a game I ran! Sorry-it is ideal for my proposed minor uprating of the warbirds for a campaign I'm creating.

There is one other question are you using CODA Ship stats now or will you? See I'm have yet to buy the new books as here in Australia our dollar is worth only 57 US Cents-Thus our "Pacific Rim Peso" situation means RPG books (Especially Hardback) go for $60-80 Australian!

So from casual glances in the store the ship layout looks similar.

Now I thought I would give the Scimitar Reman Warbird weapon stats-This script bit appears all over the Nemesis spoiler sites.-If its false-one must wonder why?

Just fair warning-if this will ruin the film for you skip it

Worf reads from a tactical console

"52 Disruptor Banks, 27 Photon Torpedo Bays and Primary and Secondary Phased Shields"

The script also mentions that the scimitar is easily twice the size of the Enterprise.

Just one note-The Scimitar looks nothing like a Rom Warbird at all-as it appeared in the teaser trailer,mores the pity-but if this script is right we will see Rom Warbirds on the big screen!

I forgot to ask-In the 21 listed military ships, I assume the 8 Rom ship types from Way of D'era are included-any Old FASA designs included? I understand if you wish to keep secret

Re: The Scimitar Stats

Originally posted by General Velal
    I forgot to ask-In the 21 listed military ships, I assume the 8 Rom ship types from Way of D'era are included-any Old FASA designs included? I understand if you wish to keep secret
    I can answer that one, I have seen Steve's stock answer regularly since the Spacedock rules came out.

No.

Or rather, No...

...As the FASA and the computer games (I remember seeing that queried above) are the intellectual property of others, they never appear in Steves work. You'll see the Canon stuff and the LUG stuff, and loads of stuff from Steves weird imaginings...

But all the stuff from FASA and any Computer games are yours to create stats for, otherwise you would never make the best use out of the Spacedock creation rules and species specific adjustments that are created.

We may now all pray to the church of SRM.

A'men
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Originally posted by Steve Long
    I generally consider the Tech Manuals good sources of info, and as close to canon as you can get without actually being on the screen. Some allowance has to be made for divergence between the books and the shows, or for various errors in the books, but generally I find them to be excellent information sources. I hope Rick Sternbach can eventually work out a deal for a Voyager TM, but I'm not holding out any hope.

Steve Long
    Hey steve. Have you ever considered looking up the writers guide tech manuals... The Rodenberrys sell them through Lincoln Enterprises.

http://store.roddenberry.com/store.cfm?categoryID=11471

Description:

Star Trek: Voyager Technical Manual The Star Trek Voyager Writers' Technical Manual was developed to provide a handy reference for detailed technical background that our writers sometimes need. It was offered as a supplement to the Writers'/Directors' Guide.

It may not be as purty as a book store tech manual, but it should do the trick.

And No. i dont work for them...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

52 disruptor banks. Well, there go my SU restrictions -- unless we can assume most of 'em are low-grade weapons or something.

As Dan's already pointed out, no FASA ships, no computer game ships -- even if there weren't intellectual property issues, I don't own any of the FASATrek books, and I've never played any of the computer games.

All the ships from The Way Of D'era are in there, though.

Re: CODA stats, I don't have any plans to use them for anything. I've got nothing against 'em -- heck, I helped design the rules, at least a little -- but having said my piece on the subject, I'll stick with my previous statements.

Steve Long

Fair enough on the Fasa/CG ships

My last query is out of the 21 Military Ships, is there a ship thats primary role would planetary invasion? I mean as ithe subject stands in the ST Universe-Transporters bypass alot of conventional methods for troop deployment-and a D'Deridex can carry a large amount of troops.

However, It strikes that the Romulans would have a vessel devoted to this mission. Its debatable, but I'm curious

Thanks for your replys-keep up the good work