Thread: A Quick Hello

Talking A Quick Hello

Don Mappin e-mailed me today asking me to drop by and say "hello."

I've been working pretty hard since my move to DC, writing 1/3rd of the Star Trek: Aliens Sourcebook, developing the Star Trek: Starships Sourcebook, and I'm developing Star Trek: Creatures. In between, I found time to develop the Enterprise Sourcebook that comes bundled with the Limited Edition. It's been a busy four months, with a lot of seven-day work weeks and 14-hour days.

I haven't had a chance to read everyone's comments about the Coda System, Star Trek RPG PG, or the NG. I'm going to assume that since I haven't had panicked phone calls from Don or Doug that things are going smoothly. =)

I'll be around for the next few days, dropping by to answer questions and shoot the breeze about the Star Trek RPG. So post your comments or just say "hi" back!

Yours,

Ross A. Isaacs
    Former Line Developer, Star Trek RPG

I know I speak for all of us when I say...

We miss you.
    Kronok

I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly because we are Jem’Hadar. Remember, victory is life.

"The D20 System is the heart of the classic fantasy roleplaying experience, the game that has taught us all how to be munchkins. There is no way we could do it with any other system."

Good To See You Ross!

Welcome back, stranger!
    Any crunchy bits about the books you've worked on... or the release date of the Limited Edition?

Charles
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

Available at GenCon?

Welcome back, Ross!

What can us GenCon attendees expect to see in the exhibitor's hall that we can't see in our local game stores, if anything? Narrator's screen? Limited editions? Working tricorders?

For that matter, with Decipher's RPG designers located throughout the country, how many of you will be in attendance?

word,
    will

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Well, howdy and welcome back!

BZ to you for your work on the NG. As I've stated before, it is literally the best RPG book I have ever seen. If you pop on over to the Coda UP, you'll see how much fun I've been having converting ships from FASA's and Spacedock's SRMs.

I'm personally looking forward to the Aliens and Starships sourcebooks...Don's been dropping little hints here and there, making me drool over it already. I can't wait!
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Hwdy!

Ross,

Nice to "see" ya again!

Come up for air once in awhile if you can...just so you can whet are appetites for what is to come in the future.

See ya at GenCon

Ronin 84
    Greg

Why the "former line developer"? Your choice or Decipher's?
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Thumbs up

Hey Ross,

I loved the NG. The chapters on writing campaigns/episodes were excellent. And I can't wait to try out the starship combat.

Keep up the good work.

BTW, I still owe you for some books from e-bay before your move. LMK how much.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Hi Ross

Great to see another familiar name back on the boards..

Welcome Back

Long Tom

>>Why the "former line developer"? Your choice or Decipher's?<<

Oh, the choice was mine.

When I moved to Washington, DC, I was informed that I could no longer remain the Star Trek RPG Line Developer. I left to be closer to my girlfriend, and Decipher hired Jess Heinig. So far, Jess has been doing a terrific job.

For the time being, I have been working on Star Trek material until Jess can get up to speed. This includes writing a third of the Star Trek: Aliens Sourcebook, and developing Star Trek: Starships and Star Trek: Creatures.

But who knows what the future holds for me?

I would like to continue my association with Decipher. They are a fine company and a great group of people. The exact nature of this relationship has yet to be determined. I will likely continue on as a freelance writer from time to time.

I'm not sure how much "whetting of appitites" I'll be able to do in the future. With Jess Heinig as line developer, I am out of a job. As soon as he's up to speed, I'll be moving on. But as I say, the choice was mine.

I'll be at GenCon, though I have no information as to what will be available for Star Trek at the show.

With the end upon me, I must say this is all a little strange. I won't be involved in the game I've developed for four years. I'm proud of the direction we took with the Coda System. When we first got the gig, I sat down with the gang and outlined the things that we thought didn't work with the Icon System and sought to address them. We decided to focus on a tools-oriented direction, wherein we give you the materials you need to make Star Trek your own.

We also decided to go with a different approach to our products. Rather than many core books, we went with the two-book approach familiar to gamers. And our supplements were all designed to give you the tools you wanted in one place—Starships, Aliens, Creatures, Worlds. I'm proud of the first year's line up of products, and the schedule we've come up with for the 2003-2004 year. I think you're all in for a lot of fun gaming.

Now that everything is up and running, it's strange to hand it over to someone else. It will be odd to see Star Trek RPG products that I had no hand in, to see how Jess handles things. I'm sure it will be terrific and interesting stuff.

Yours,

Ross A. Isaacs
    Star Trek Fan
    Former Star Trek RPG Line Developer

Unhappy

Ross,

I just wanted to say: thank you. Thank you for your amazing work, for your availability, and for listening to us gamers and for contributing so heavily in providing us with certainly one of the best RPGs ever.

I had (still having ) my best and longest RPGing experience playing ST, be it Icon or Coda.

I hope you get to work on many interesting projects! And I sure hope you keep participating to the boards!!

Best!!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Perrryyy Guest
    Welcome back, Mister Isaacs!

Welcome back

I have a question for ya! I don't know about most but I cannot afford $100 for the Limited Edition Books. I want Enterprise material though. Will Decipher be selling Enterprise material alone?

Thanks in advance