Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jess Heinig Interview

Jess Heinig Interview

There's an interview on the Decipher web site with the new Star Trek RPG Line Developer, Jess Heinig.

http://www.decipher.com
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Cool

It must be squirreled away someplace super-secret, because I couldn't find a link to it off Decipher's main page or their Star Trek RPG page. This all begs the question, though... what's Ross Isaacs' fate?
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Actually, it's in the news releases on the left hand side about the third one down. The one about Radio Free Decipher.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

:(

I am unfortunately unable to listen to this, because I won't have RealPlayer (or anything by them) on my system. I don't like spyware/adware. Is there a transcipt, anywhere?

Also, what's the history of Mr. Heinsig? It seems like he came from "nowhere", in that he's not credited in the books -- I'm not saying I object to him, I'm just curious about him. If anyone knows more about him, I'd like to hear.

He used to be the line developer for Mage: The Ascension over at White Wolf. I don't know what else he's done. It's been a while since I read the boards over there, but when Mage revised came out, reactions were strongly mixed.
    "The businessman's job is giving the business."

Originally posted by Argyle
    He used to be the line developer for Mage: The Ascension over at White Wolf. I don't know what else he's done. It's been a while since I read the boards over there, but when Mage revised came out, reactions were strongly mixed.
    The same can be said of all of WW's revised editions. They give their line developers a fair amount of creative latitude, from what I can see, with the inevitable result of mixed reactions. (That then gets compounded by the kind of ranting that gets through on a non-asbestos-lined message board...but that's a different issue.)

Personally, I have no problem with Mr. Heinig's Mage direction. The worst I can say for it is I might have done some similar things with different metaplot rationalizations.

I'm a bit surprised to see his name pop up as the DecipherTrek line developer, but not necessarily unhappy. I wouldn't have imagined him as a Trek fan; I would have to guess I was mistaken.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra

>>This all begs the question, though... what's Ross Isaacs' fate?<<

Ah, that is the question, isn't it?

When I moved to Washington, DC, I was informed that I could no longer remain the Star Trek RPG Line Developer. I left to be closer to my girlfriend, and Decipher hired Jess Heinig. So far, Jess has been doing a terrific job.

For the time being, I have been working on Star Trek material until Jess can get up to speed. This includes writing a third of the Star Trek: Aliens Sourcebook, and developing Star Trek: Starships and Star Trek: Creatures.

But who knows what the future holds for me?

I would like to continue my association with Decipher. They are a fine company and a great group of people. The exact nature of this relationship has yet to be determined.

Yours,

Ross A. Isaacs

From the interview, Jess Heinig didn't sound to be much of a Star Trek fan. He said he had 'fond memories of watching the show with his dad.'

Of course that may not neccesarily be a bad thing. Most of the writers of the shows are not Trekkies.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Ross Endorsement

Well, if Warren Holland wants an endorsement of Ross' endeavors for Trek roleplaying, let me know.

Charles Li, M.D.
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

Compromise

Trying to use my Mediatie specialty skill

Ross, perhaps you can function as a liaison for the RPG Studio (aka Decipher West) to the main group, since their business has been oriented to mass-market CCGs. Perhaps you can find a way to tie in the use of the new Trek CCG with Trek RPG?
    That would be something.

Of course, I don't have any ideas other than the basics (use as a prop), but then again, I am not a game developer

Charles
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

Cool

It's worth noting that while Jess hasn't registered here (to my knowledge), I do know that he lurks. Might want to keep that in mind if you want the new Line Developer to share info on projects.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

For those of you wondering about Jess' Star Trek chops, I had an involved, detailed discussion with him about androids and their place in the game. He pulled out some pretty obscure episode references by name to argue that you could indeed play an android in Star Trek (just not in Starfleet).

He's a fan.

Yours,

Ross A. Isaacs

Hiya.

Prior to my work at Decipher, I spent just under four years at White Wolf. I helmed the _Mage_ (revised edition) game line for about three years. I also did some early work on _Kindred of the East_, and _Mind's Eye Theatre_ (live-action).
    Before White Wolf, I worked at Interplay as a scripter/designer on the _Fallout_ computer RPG.
    I have Star Trek II and VI on DVD, and I watch 'em again from time to time. I'll get around to the entire set, but I'm still settling old moving bills and new apartment bills. I would really like to have the entire DS9 collection, but it's not available on DVD yet, and I don't want to shell out several hundred bucks for VHS tapes that I'll just throw away when the DVD becomes available . . .
    I played FASA Trek and LUG Trek before coming in to work on Decipher Trek. I run a game on Thursday nights at the office and I have played in two different games of it, so I'm not unfamiliar with the system.
    Also, I like Ross and his work, and hope to keep collaborating with him! (Hi Ross.) I suppose that you could say I'm the "next generation" developer, since Ross laid all the groundwork, made all the critical decisions, implemented the core books and came up with the framework for future releases. I'm just doing editorial busywork at this point. ;-)

Any more questions? I'd be happy to answer, so long as I know the answer and am not constrained from replying. (i.e. I can't tell you the meaning of life, nor can I post upcoming book drafts, you wise guys.)

Jess Heinig
    Star Trek developer
    Decipher RPG studios

Also, I have a strange tendency to wind up with double posts. Weird.

J.H.

Originally posted by RIsaacs
    For those of you wondering about Jess' Star Trek chops...He's a fan.
    Very classy of you to step up to the plate like that, Ross. I respect that.

Welcome to the party, Jess. Try not to get too distracted, eh?
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support