Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Field Jacket

I've always included a Field Jacket in my game, from the time the crew were cadets in the mid 2360's all the way to 2375 where they are now. In the TNG period they were branch colored with black shoulders, in the post TNG/pre First Contact era they were black with branch colored shoulders, and now they are black with grey shoulders with the turtle neck showing the branch color... though the ground forces and rapid response teams wore the black with the branch stripe alone the chest.

:shrugs:

Cheek this stuff out I did awhile back

http://216.40.212.6/forum/showthread...&threadid=3539

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    You would figure that the field jacket would contain everything the wearer needed to stay alive for a few days in case he were separated from the away team by some unforseen event. The high-tech field gear that Starfleet issues is well and good when it works, but sometimes you'll run into a situation in which it will not work. Then you have to try to star alive the old fashioned way. That's why I think that a survival kit should include a survival knife (something Ka-Bar sized) and low tech things like "space" blankets, matches ("What are those Lt.?""I don't know Ensign, but it says if you rub it on this strip it will make a fire!"), and all the other stuff you need in case "all else fails".
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

One other way to look at this. Rather than a single piece of equipment for all occasions why not just have various away mission uniform types. We've seen two in DS9 and VOY, Cold weather uniform (AKA: Arctic survival gear), and the Desert Obi uniform. The thought I have is different uniforms for different occasions

Some of the variations-
    Light Over-Jacket- Your outside, mid fall. Just that little something extra (example: Pickard's 6th? season jacket)
    Petty Coat- Your out-side, mild winter or bad weather (this is where I see the WOK era jackets fitting).
    Wet-Weather Gear- outside, warm, with rain (Just your basic rain coat- or if you like trench/duster design)
    Cold Weather Gear- Really cold or high mountains. (Odo and Quark had one suite between them).
    Desert Obi- Real hot & dry conditions- comes with lots or water packets every time. (Ezeri, and the Sisko clan).
    Aquatic Uniform- 24th century SCUBA, re-breather mask 25-ish hour duration. (Just an idea from my own little head).
    Light Combat Uniforms- This would be the modern ballistic stuff (the S.O.B.'s from AR-355)
    Heavy Combat Uniform- Hasn’t been seen sense TOS, but the Helmet, breast-plate security armor (FASA did a TNG design, in the 'First Year Sourcebook', looked really silly to most).
    Hostile Enviroment Suit- The EVA type seen in VOY and ST:FC. (and if you prefer, the TAS 'Life Support/Forcefield Belts')

Add ons-
    The Overnight Pack- basically the small, black, soft sided, duffel we've seen.
    The Duration Pack- two versions have been seen sense TNG. The silver hard side (Captain's Holiday), and the larger black, soft sided, duffel (DS9 and VOY)- Good for a few days away form resources.
    The Heavy Pack- For those real military/marathon camping buffs, nearly anything you can fit into a 26'x18'x10' area that will help to keep the things in the night at bay. (ENT- "there's plenty of camping gear in the shuttle sir...") or think ALICE gear.

As far as regular equipment contained within, you might have some abnormal item. I could see at least a PADD being included in every one of these, with (if available) the most recent and pertinent information on them, if not the general 'How To Use This Item' section. Tricorders a must- the level '0' away uniform item, if your leaving the ship bring your Tricorder. Now keep in mind these item would have been, basiclly, pre-packaged by someone else, so personal, ship or mission variables could alter what is in the pockets.

Some thoughts on different Away-Team Missions I've had typing this: Standard mission levels-
    Phoenix's first rule of Away-Teams- 'Tricorder's, don't leave the ship without one!'
    Level 0: Casual mission- shore leave types- no real equipment.
    Level 1: Standard mission- the hundreds of 'lets go check this out' missions we have seen on the shows- Mabie phaser 1's.
    Level 2: Mission of some risk- everyone has a phaser 2.
    Level 3: Mission specific- from a science to an engineering to resupply. Certain people and equipment are hand picked.
    Type A: No other special requirements.
    Type B: Minor enviromental concerns are present.
    Type C: Sevier enviromental concerns are present.
    Type D: Isolation will be an issue (Ship out of transporter range for a while, bring a lunch).
    Type E: Hostile forces exist, you might be shot at.

Well I think I've gone on long enough now. Any thoughts on this new angle?
    Last edited by Phoenix; 08-25-2002 at 02:56 AM.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Hi Everyone,

Was looking around and found this thread and thought i would add that i have started working on Starfleet Uniform Recognition Guide once more. I have done several new uniform types for the 'Frist Contact' style uniforms... Among them are Field Jackets, Overcoats, causual duty sweaters, causual duty jackets, utility duty vests, engineering utiltity vests, ect... If anyone is interested drop me a line and i will share the sketches with you... I havent been able to get to Kinkos yet to make copies so i can start putting colour to them, so i havent sent them to the TREKRPG.Net site for posting there... So this is just a preview...

Not bad work Pheonix. You have always been a valuable contributer to the RPG world.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

And here I thought this thread was gone.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"