Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Field Jacket

Field Jacket

Hi All,

I have been toying with this idea and would like to share it for some feedback.

I always wondered why the typical away team was so poorly prepared for a survival situation. Phasers are a great multipurpose tool, but hardly complete.

My thought is that Next Gen era +, should have field jackets for away teams. Similar to Wrath of Kahn jackets. In my game, they look like black army field jackets, with a departmental color strip (similar to the DS9 Ground Units Uniforms).

The Jacket would have some armor value, to protect against small blades and say alien plant darts.

Also, they have the ability to regulate body temperature at a 70 degree range. Due to advancements in materials and microcircitry.

A clear hood in the collar, to allow for filtered breathing.

Of course the various pockets include:
    1. Space Blanket type tent/sleeping bag.
    2. Food Rations
    3.Water Ration
    4. Water Filtration Straw
    5. First Aid Kit--VERY basic version
    6. Field knife(with typical survial gear inside)

Comments/suggestions????

Thanks
    Gabe

First I would like to say welcome.

You have a good idea here. I think the problem is that everyone relies on the transporter in most Away Missions. Why carry it, when you can beam it down when needed? My question is, what happens when the transporter is down?

I like this idea.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)

Re: Field Jacket

Originally posted by GABREIL
    The Jacket would have some armor value, to protect against small blades and say alien plant darts.

Also, they have the ability to regulate body temperature at a 70 degree range. Due to advancements in materials and microcircitry.

A clear hood in the collar, to allow for filtered breathing.

Of course the various pockets include:
    1. Space Blanket type tent/sleeping bag.
    2. Food Rations
    3.Water Ration
    4. Water Filtration Straw
    5. First Aid Kit--VERY basic version
    6. Field knife(with typical survial gear inside)
    1. That would normally be something I would see beamed down with the party only if they expect to need it (or, it would remain with a shuttle's emergency supplies).

2 and 3. Instead, perhaps a portable replicator plate with a 10-15 day power supply (30-45 basic meals for 6 people).

4. Nothing like a nice still to keep you warm on a cold away team mission...

5. Wouldn't the medical officer/enlist that normally accompanies an away team have that?

6. If they were Klingons, I'd agree. But this is Starfleet. The phaser is their defense, heater, drill, etc. I'd instead say a basic survival pack that happens to inlcude a Swiss Army knife in it.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I can see your point about the knife.
    Perhaps a folding "tactical" knife instead. Then a small "survival kit" for another pocket.

Besides, I understand that real soon there will be a Starfleet Survival manual published. That may address some of these issues.

I do have to disagree on the replicator plate, only becasue replicator technology is too complex. Also, references to starfleet rations have been made in some episodes...I think.

Fair Weather
    Gabriel

Another thing you may want to consider about the replicator plate - would the power signature be detectable if they were in hostile territory? Rations may taste kind of gross, but I would think they'd be harder to detect!

Ok, so this would keep you warm on those cold Klingon nights...good...my character's mother won't let him on an away team unless he's wearing a nice warm jacket. It should also be long enough his knees shouldn't get cold. A thermos of chicken soup would be nice.

Yes, this (hopefully funny) piece is a Jewish person's (mine that is) view. Although I'm sure everyone's mom wants them to wear a nice warm coat...even if they go to Vulcan.

I'll stop now...put down the hammers...I see you with the wrench...I'll behave................
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

This very subject is covered in the DS9 relaunch. with the 100 year old Commander Elias Vaughn, wearing his old maroon away team jacket, and decribing it as the best piece of kit starfleet ever issued...

Read it. For fans of the jacket, I guarantee a smirk, for people who never thought about it one way or the other. you'll be converted...

Anyway... I think that what is being looked at here is falawed in our reasoning for one reason.

It looks like you guys want a garment for all occasions. Something suitable for survival and something suitable for tactical.

Thats where it goes wrong...

For the TNG take on survival gear, watch 'The Ascent', where Odo and Quark are stranded on a Class L planet, who scenes are devoted to the description of the emergency survival gear, from its status to its usefulness...

As for tactical gear, that jacket also exists. Watch 'Nor the Battle to the Strong' and 'The Seige of AR-588'. You'll see the starfleet tactical jacket... or 'Surface Operation Blacks' As the novel 'The Battle of Betazed' calls them.

Now as for survival gear, pre-loaded into such a survival jacket (or back-pack as also seen in DS9, late 7th season but forgotten episode name)... Heres my take, not much different from the original list, but with clarification of definition;

1. Food and Water Rations (mmm. Field Rations. Small dried buscuits capable fo supplying several days worth of nutrition. And some water, supplemented by the water filter kit).
    2. Water Filtration Straw (Sure its in a Medical Kit, but what happens if you dont have one to hand).
    3. Basic First Aid Kit (I dont envision a 'lesser' kit, simply the basic tools required).
    4. Survival Tool/Knife (This may be the 'non-pointy' federation, but a tool and a knife can mean the difference between life and death. I dont envision a tacical blade, but in a pinch, thats what it can be...)
    5. Power Pack (suitable for use with Phaser, Tricorder, Medical Gear, enabling the jacket gear to add to the lifespan of any other gear that may have been salvaged/rescued)
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Some field gear was described in the LUGTrek Starfleet Academy sourcebook.

As for a knife, it could still come in valuable: if you need to cut down foilage for shelter, a phaser might set it alight. Likewise, cutting your way through undergrowth you don't want to be firing a phaser a lot if there are enemy personnel around (they're quite noisy - you'd think Starfleet could reduce the sound for stealth ops!)
    "That might have been the biggest mistake of my life..."

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Vila and Orac, Blake's Seven

Bloomington, IN - the heart of Limestone Country!
    Originally posted by Dan Gurden
    This very subject is covered in the DS9 relaunch. with the 100 year old Commander Elias Vaughn, wearing his old maroon away team jacket, and decribing it as the best piece of kit starfleet ever issued...

Read it. For fans of the jacket, I guarantee a smirk, for people who never thought about it one way or the other. you'll be converted...
    Am I a knucklehead for having no idea what you're referring to here? In other words:
    Heh?
    I'M Captain Kirk!!!!

If I may...

I belive that this is a new novel series. It is called the Ds9 relaunch by some.

It puts new and old characters into the DS9 setting after the close of the series. Hope this clarifies for you.

Gabe

I kind of like the field jacket idea.

BTW didn't they kind of have one during Movies II and III.

Originally posted by Capt. Chris
    I kind of like the field jacket idea.

BTW didn't they kind of have one during Movies II and III.
    Well yes. That was exactly the garment that I was referring too in relation to the Commander Elias Vaughn post earlier, as the charactre is old enough to have been issued one of the Movie era jackets...

BTW; Field jackets go back further, to 'The Cage', and have even appeared in Enterprise, so there seems little canon obstacles to their application in the TNG era, in fact as a survival kit, it makes a lot of sense to keep it all in one place...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

I just have one thing to say:

"The Enemy Within"

Sulu and the gang would have killed for these (rather than die for lack of them).

About the basic first aid kit...

The US Army has you carry a bandage. It's to be used on YOU if you are hurt, so that the people with the big bags o bandages have one already to use on you. It would make sence that they do that too. Just a thought.
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

They were used in the eppisodes of the Cage. in the original series. the away team beamed down wearing a field jacket. It would make sense that they are still in use. for exploration teams.
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.